Africasgateway.com

Recommendations on South African Hip Hop

thorax · 4 · 5795

thorax

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
Its been a while since I been on here and the world out there is too messy to make sense of and these new jack hipsters make everything so complicated with their weird ways to marketing. I will tell you my story soon where I been since I last ventured in these places. My question for now is what SA hip hip artists should I be checking for? Give me some names and links. I need to catch up with what's happening.

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Tuks, Driemanskaap, Rattex, Jaak, HHP (though he is commercial). That's all the SA Hip-Hop I listen
to these days. Jozi, Kuli Chana, Ifani ("Shake" was dope track), and AKA (though that "Jealousy" joint is dope) are too commercial for my blood. Too Americanized and Pop sounding.

thorax

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
Everything is familiar that you posted except haven't had a chance to listen to Tuks, Jaak.  The other people if they got that twang I'm not even going to check it as you say Americanized no photo copies.  Jozi sounds familiar isnt that dude Ishmael from Skeem (also POC)?
thanks man I was going through the posts since my last entry and there's just way too much stuff to check out.

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Jozi sounds familiar isnt that dude Ishmael from Skeem (also POC)?

Yep, that's the same dude. Jozi is ok on a commercial tip but they sound too much like
the stuff I hear here at home. Da L.E.S. was born in the U.S. so he could pa** for American anyway!  ;D. I respect Ishmael because he was in POC and Skeem but I'm just not feeling Jozi.

Yes, there is alot of SA Hip-Hop that I still can't think of from the top of my brain. Some of these names may be familiar; Jitsvinger, Tykoon Suit (I don't know if they're still around),
Remy-E, and these cats if they ever released something: