• View Profile

Nthabi

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Quote from: briCK

And then??????
 :?:  :?:  :?:
quot;It's your aptitude, not just your attitude that determines your ultimate altitude"- zig ziglar

http://www.myspace.com/mcnthabi

"OUT NOW!!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
RE Brick. I actually own Let's Get Free, and it has some great tracks. I just find it hard to relate to the bitterness they express.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
Quote from: rob_one
RE Brick. I actually own Let's Get Free, and it has some great tracks. I just find it hard to relate to the bitterness they express.

it's not even bitter it's only because ur whyt..why buy a cd when u r nt gonna be able to relate to the lyrical content?...

really now how do u relate to de prez lets get free when u and ur ppl hav been free ol your life....shit listen to ur psychotic kind eminen drowning kim in a toilet somewhere something u as a whyt 'dude' will understand..tell me how does the hieroglyphics track Soweto actually make u feel..can u relate when kweli 'n jean grae talk about 'black' pain

as for me being an idiot thtz ur opinion i respekt it...i really respekt another idiots opinion sometimez.... 8)
 am hell behold!

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
I just find it hard to relate to the bitterness they express.

this is the bittreness felt by many a black person whose material conditions haven't improved with the attainment of freedom!

this "collective amnesia" portrayed by many white people over the deprivation they forced upon blacks makes me wanna puke!
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
afterbirth writes:

I just find it hard to relate to the bitterness they express.

this is the bittreness felt by many a black person whose material conditions haven't improved with the attainment of freedom!

this "collective amnesia" portrayed by many white people over the deprivation they forced upon blacks makes me wanna puke!

well said man! rob one, i would be surprised is a lot of the white people could relate to being looked at as second cla** citizens - i would actually go as far as believing that those white people come from a parallel universe where they were the subjects of inhuman treatment because of their skin colour - that would be a universe where blacks hold the institutional power, and white people create a charter called WEE (White Economic Empowerment) to slightly tip the uneven scales of imbalance.

rob one writes:

That's bullshit - not even coherent bullshit, just bullshit. That's not what Apartheid was struck down for.

wow, how interesting. you remind me of the guy who sent a letter to The Star newspaper (2 May 2006) stating that apartheid came to an end because the ruling white majority wanted it to even though the army was still at full strength and would have been capable of carrying it on if they wanted to - this was in response to Archbishop Tutu's statement that white people are ungrateful.

rob one writes further:

Whatever money I have, at least for the past twenty-odd years, is not due to my whiteness. It's due to my folks working their f***ing arses off for me and and my sister, so that we can live comfortably.

tell that to those people's parents who went through an inferior education system called bantu education and whos a**es as you so nicely put it spent much time running away from authority / on floors in jail cells / being shot at / those whos a**es have disappearde neverto be heard of or seen again - all the while your parents had the luxury to build a comfortable life for you and your siblings. not every black person went through that - but a good number did, and some weren't strong enough to pull themselves up from it. do not even state that the demise of apartheid has brought about equality - it hasn't. we're far from equal and the black ma**es are still grappling with the notion of being in a position of fictitious power. the fact that many whites call upon blacks to easily forget 400 odd years of a 'nervous condition' does not make me ask whether the black people are not justified in feeling the way they do, it makes me ask the question of whether white people realise that such is too much to ask of any person - hell, What Would Jesus Do?

my point is Mr Rob One, please don't make such loaded statements and then hide behind the notion that black people are angry and bitter about a past that should remain long forgotten. as much a liberal your parents might have raised you to become - you will never fully appreciate what it means to see someone of another skin go through hardship and pain, sometimes this shit goes past the fact that we're all human. please ask someone to fully explain toyou what ubuntu and gazi lami are, and none of that western take of it being about humanity. it's deep bra - real deep.

nuff said!
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

rob_one

• AG Veteran
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Wow. Perhaps I should clarify my comments re dead prez and other things which have been taken a little out of context.

I bought Let's Get Free when I was first getting into hip-hop. I was only familiar with dp through the track Hip-Hop, and didn't think enough about the lyrics to make a properly informed decision. So I bought the album.

I thought it was good production-wise, less so lyrically. Nevertheless, I recognised that what M1 and Stic were discussing was hugely important even if I couldn't understand it. At the same time, I couldn't relate to it, which is why I'm not particularly a fan of their music. This isn't really a subjective opinion; it's something which is true for me.

Note that nowhere do I attempt to negate what dp or anyone else is saying about black identity and the struggles that black people have gone through to be recognised as human beings. I respect and admire that hugely, despite the fact that I do not fully appreciate what it often means in the relationship between different races. In terms of hip-hop music, I don't think dp are a particularly talented duo, but that's neither here nor there.

My initial post was not a comment on the black culture or black identity. It was merely me expressing my frustration as a white person that certain things are closed to me for no apparent reason. I realise that this is exactly the frustration that black people living under Apartheid felt, but this does not make it excusable for any race.

Oh, and the reason I called Nuwepussy an idiot is because referring to the "whyt kind" and saying that the "underground is too hardcore for whyt people" is not just racist, it's stupid.

I hope that clarifies some of what I posted.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

rob_one

• AG Veteran
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I just want to reiterate one more thing so we stay on track: the statement that I find it difficult to relate to dead prez is, again, not something which can be debated. The reasons behind it can, but the actual fact that I struggle to relate to M1 and Stic cannot. It's a fact for me, more than a subjective interpretation.

Just so we stay on track.  :idea:
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

crus-ou

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: briCK

Used to host an "open mic" attended by really bad poets. Most of them went on a serious 'black power' tip (note, nothing wrong with that, but they did it really, really badly) My question is: what would the reaction have been if I did a poem about white power and solidarity with my white brothers and sisters in the face of BEE and Affirmative Action? What if I spoke about pride in the white race?

I'd get shot. That's what.

Thoughts?

I can NEVER understand white cats that put themselves in the line of FIRE!

I attended the Dead Prez concert and guess what? I see White Boys all over the show! I mean you free to go where you can afford and like what you like but if you going to be offended by Black Power Preaching rapper why you there? you know what they about,don't you? I wont be seen at Carfax and other such White Elistist Clubs NEVER so its my own doing if I am there and get offended. If on the other hand I was at a "Free For All" show then I would have no right to be offended by sentiments of White Power been openly extended. don't mean there won't be any protest and death threats!

The current day Dead Prez concets have been dialuted, which is fine shows growth and what not, but the concert I am talking about is just after Lets Get Free..cummon the first single has a line saying "I'm down for running up on them crackkkers up in city hall" you can't expect to find people holding hands singin kumbya... there will be flags burnt and it will be ugly...

AMEN
k IS mos deurmekaar.....

xerox

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
i wrote
This thread is started not to bring any racial stir among cats on AG.

cats no need to get cringe about colour,rember when the light goes off ,we all black :D  :D  :D ..peace
heck one tool called a mic-xero

C4

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Ok, this isn't supposed to be a race issue, but its kinda hard to de-couple the whole race issue from the thread's topic, so...

A couple of things stand out here:

1. White ppl are definitely trying very hard to belong, to patch things up, much harder than in the past, so it's not surprising that many of them aim for "real" hip-hop, i.e. undaground, when trying to relate via "black music", if i may call it that.
I'm just expanding on nuwepussy's point here, and there's nuffin stupid about it (unless i'm too stupid to see it too), so I don't think she's an idiot.

2. On average, white ppl have more money than blacks, and if it's the same in S.A. as it is here in Nams (which is practically S.A. anyway), then most of the country's wealth is owned by white ppl. I think it's the same in many other places, the USA included.
And generally, they try to keep it that way. This is how i would expect ppl from any race/ group that have something, and fear losing it, to react, quite naturally. Think of it as "economic incest", keeping it in "the fam". I see it all the time.
Some white peeps see this & feel guilt, so they try and relate, hence the surge of "wiggas" all over the place. Of course this does not apply to all.
All that "lets all be nice to each other now" equality crap is an illusion, in fact propaganda to stop black ppl from taking back wealth violently the same way it happened to us. Not that i'm pro-violence, but i do know bullshit when i see, hear, or read it. Or smell it.

I know I got carried away a bit (this is a serious matter, its caused centuries of human suffering), but 4 sho, the 2 points above are major contributors to why it seems white ppl r mo undaground nowadays.
Tha High Explocive

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
lets just admit it south africa was a housebuild on fear of race that shit bugged me all the time u know what i find most boring these days is people trying to prove there blackness that shit is played out to me now,i went through my Public enemy stage where i was all pro black and dispised white people now i dont give a shit all races all round hate on each other.
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
sit on the fence much RuSh  :wink:
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
I just want to reiterate one more thing so we stay on track: the statement that I find it difficult to relate to dead prez is, again, not something which can be debated. The reasons behind it can, but the actual fact that I struggle to relate to M1 and Stic cannot. It's a fact for me, more than a subjective interpretation.

Just so we stay on track.  :idea:

Apart from the fact that white kids have money to buy the music, they buy it because it stands for universal principles of freedom. Because the music is radical, because they're tired of picket fenced suburbia. They're tired of being stifled by privilege, it bores them. They want a cause, they want to feel in touch with other people across their privilege. Black music is Humanistic, its for the soul. Even when it speaks about Black issues, it speaks to the humanistic side of a white kid.

I have white friends who can't stand white people.
What they mean is, they can't stand people who are exclusivists who want the world to revolve around them. Its like me, I can't stand BEE's who personalise their license plates, buy wine farms and forget that the struggle continues.

You can get White Rastafarians, but you can't get Black Skin heads.

Saying White Power is like saying Viva Hitler. Saying Black Power is like saying Freedom to the ma**es.

Rob i'm sure there's no ways you would start chanting about white power because you know it doesnt stand for the same thing as Black Power.
Saying Down with the Jews, is not the same as saying Down with the Nazis.

Some white kids wanna get free from 'whiteness', somehow, Black music gives them a chance. But it also means they have to accept that as white people they are part of a shitty legacy. Problem is most of them don't want to admit it. They want the world to be grateful for 'European progress', they get defensive. Sorry, European progress destroyed the planet, accept it.

Anyway though, race is becoming a murky concept to work with these days.

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
^^^^^^^ wow

You have an amazing ability to align words as precisely and as clearly as they can possibly be.

...creepy shit
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.