MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Local movie Ongeriewe in line for best short film at Cannes  
May 4, 2006:

By Zeninjor Enwemeka

What started out as a graduation film project has landed four local film-makers in France for the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

Capetonians Robin Kleinsmidt, the director, Christopher Wessels, the cinematographer, and Keenan Arrison, the lead actor, with Tristram Atkins, the producer, have had their film, Ongeriewe, chosen as a finalist for the Cannes 2006 Best Short Film award.

The short film of about 15 minutes is one of 10 finalists from an initial pool of 3 500 short films worldwide.

It is the first South African film in 10 years to be selected for this category.

The Cannes Film Festival (May 17-28) is a highly prestigious international event that attracts film stars and filmgoers alike. This is its 59th year.

"What is so exciting is that most people struggle for years to have their work shown at a festival of this calibre. We did it on our first try," Atkins said.

Atkins has made about 22 other short films, but this is the first time the four have worked together. They are all graduates of the South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance (AFDA).

Ongeriewe (discomforts) tells about the effects of drugs on relationships, paying special attention to the family unit.

The main character, Charlie (played by Keenan), is caught up in methamphetamine use and spends the whole film looking for his next hit.

The film, which is set on the Cape Flats, shows the effects of his addiction on his relationship with his mother and brother.

It has already been screened at film festivals around the world including the Golden Pigeon Festival, where it won three awards, the New York Film Festival, Aluta! Film Festival and the AFDA Film and Drama Festival.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac