The Myth · 56 · 24761

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Interesting African movie recommendations there Souljah...
Question is where do we get a hold of those?...
Availability/ Accessibility is a problem that has plagued African movies for so long... :?

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Shit yeah "Shooting Bokkie" is good and recent, My homey Christo Davids is in there, its very good and I was thoroughly surprised when I saw it in the new releases section at my local DVD spot like two weeks ago... its not the type of fare I would have expected in a normal suburban video store. But I recomend it highly.

"Lumumba" is also very good,... and there was this very engaging Senegalese film that started as a farce with a fair bit of slapstick and then got all hyper-real and supernatural with spirits and witchdoctors and shit... I think it was called "Amadou the Farmer".
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
@ tate: there's always the film resource unit situated in cape town - i got mine from the filmmakers.

@ syntactic: yeah shooting bokkie is very interesting - adam and rob, the guys who made it are friends of mine and i actually got to see it in 2003 after it was finished.

lumumba is a very good movie i agree - a couple of years ago i worked in the film industry and i held a screening of the film lumumba in cinema that seats 150 people, 400 congolese people pitched up to the screening. now we had screened the movie in much bigger venues for a week and there were not that many people, but on the last day 400 of these f***ers crawled out of the woodwork and they would not leave because they said it was their right to see the movie of their country's hero. i swear to god there was almost a riot and i had to use two back-to-back cinemas and fit all these people in both and loop the movie from one cinema to the other.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

KONFAB

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "blaqsouljah"

@ syntactic: yeah shooting bokkie is very interesting - adam and rob, the guys who made it are friends of mine and i actually got to see it in 2003 after it was finished.

really? so no snuff for real? had serious doubts that it was neither planned nor re-enacted... maybe cos execution was so immaculate
ttp://www.myspace.com/artikulatekonfab
http://www.myspace.com/writersblockcrew

the antePENultimate columnist with WRITERS BLOCK

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
konfab: i also figured it was re-enacted and sometimes i still do because it's called a mockumentary - which should bear a certain level of truth but not entirely true.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Just watched "Yesterday" starring Leleti Khumalo & although it is a story that has been told again & again it really touched me.

Maybe thats the desired effect: to tell a familiar story all sub-sharan Africans can relate to...

"...Oh I believe in Yesterday"

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
after we watched that film! there was silence  in the room,the story realy potrays the other side of an impoverished family living with the HIV disease. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Then theres this new series in SABC 1 called HEARTLINES,damn! the sad stories potrayed there are really.... :cry: the head of the family(middle-cla** working father doesnt tell his family that he has been retrenched,Hes family is suffering,family car sold,Furniture repossessed by the Sheriff- SOUTH AFRICAN STORIES,DID ANYONE WATCH THAT!

Anyway! enough of that, tonite im gonna watch this Bruce Willis & Mos Def flick "16 BLOCK"  its been a long time since ive seen Bruce Willis Flick.OHH! Die Hard 4 is coming out soon,cant wait! "JOHN MCLAIN" & L Jackson combination.

Also cant wait for the Jerry Brukenheim flick,Pirates of the Caribean!

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
yes heartlines is a good series.whoever said finding nemo is RIGHT.
my choice:(in no partic order.)

1.Usual suspects (kevin mf spacey)
2.Blood in Blood Out ( cant believe heads sleepin on this one)
3.Four Rooms (Did anyone mention this one -TIM ROTH ,SON.)
4.Empire records
5.High fidelity ( w John Kusack )
6.godfather 1 (the others were just filler)
7.Willie wonka & the choc factory (the old one with gene wilder) - trippy.
8.The crow (this was a visual treat!!!!!) Pt 1 only.
9.Bringing out the dead (nicholas cage)MUST WATCH THIS - HEEEEEEAAAAVY!!!
10.Alice in wnderland - the disney version
11.Mary Poppins

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
NOW CHECK THIS OUT! NICHOLAS CAGE NEW FLICK! 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
GHOST RIDER!
A year b4 HE SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL IN order to save his father & his fate is sealed! At night something unexplainable takes over!!!

WATCH THIS TRAILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIfrTAYvb4&search=Ghost%20Rider%20

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Naturelle
*Garden State
*Princess Mononoke

Some reallly nice choices there. Pure pleasure on that evil box, but dang its pure pleasure.
eace means Love

Nappy Head
http://www.getitfree.net/xcgegnns

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: RuSh
watched MI3 was nice any more tight flicks thats worth it?

MI3 was far from worth it. predictable, fast paced, you don't really get to know the characters. A Waste of  good budget if u ask me. Was shot well, which helps to disguise the weak plot. Was disgusted, went by so quickly it was finnished before it even began...
eace means Love

Nappy Head

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
The only new movie I really enjoyed was that Lord of War thing.

Man just watched the Red Dragon... That movie was so intense. imagine being the sicko who wrote that script. The mind games that the characters play with each other and don't forget the code that they boke with the toilet paper. Wow. The twisted characters in there bedazzled me man. This movie was a trip to the moon for me. And when they shot each other at the end as well, they both took hits. They were the same for a minute. So determined to kill each other. I loved it. I need more of it imagine a sequel where hannibal escapes... Amazing... deep deep...
eace means Love

Nappy Head

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Just watched Tsotsi & while I dont think it was as good a flick as "Yesterday" I must admit that hearing the diector & producers commentry awakened me to some themes I may have missed when I watched the movie.

Only beef I have is that they (director & producer) kept using the words Hip Hop and Kwaito synonymously! Did I hear someone say Bhlasphemy?.. let think about this... to everyone else in the world Kwaito = South African Hip Hop. It is only us in the SA Hip Hop fraternity that seem to make a distinction..the lines they blur.. :?
Does Zola make Kwaito or Hip Hop?...SUre Aurthur made Kwaito back when definitions were easy..now Mapaputsi can out-rap many SA m'peppahs...EISH!

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Quote from: "mulmens"
Quote from: "RuSh"
watched MI3 was nice any more tight flicks thats worth it?

MI3 was far from worth it. predictable, fast paced, you don't really get to know the characters. A Waste of  good budget if u ask me. Was shot well, which helps to disguise the weak plot. Was disgusted, went by so quickly it was finnished before it even began...

Who really cares if the plot of "The movie makes sense? Or if the storylines  fail to convince? If you respond to these movies, you do so despite their gravity-defying leaps in narrative logic. same as MI3,my favourite scene was the bridge scene,damn!

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Rip_the_jacker"
NOW CHECK THIS OUT! NICHOLAS CAGE NEW FLICK!
GHOST RIDER!

can't wait for this- am a huge ghost rider fan!
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato