Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

KWAITO

G-SUSpect

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
has done more for urban youth in our country, than hip hop could even dream about, does this not tell us something, could it be that we are all a bunch of fake posers, struggling with our own denial, of the fact that we may-be the sell outs, selling our countries soul, for just a glimpse of the bling we see from overseas, knowing fool well it is unattainable in our music market terain.
So whilst Zola, heads off to speak at the UN, we post online diatribe, reguarding the status of the out going editor of some corny so called hip hop magazine( which sells more copies monthly than all the hip hop releases combined sold last year).
I live and will probably die hip hop, but f*** if I dont suddenly feel embarased by it...
T'S JUST SHOWBIZ

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
That's why we gotta make African Hip Hop that's relevant to African people, just like the French and the English have made Hip Hop for their people.

It's not the beat that's the problem. The problem is that your average person simply does not relate to halfway Americans (only without the style, originality and flow).

South Africans have adopted Kwaito (which is basically slow House which, like Hip Hop, originated in the US) because artists have added their own flavour. This is not happening enough in our Hip Hop.

I'm not even talking about our 'underground' artists because they are making niche music that doesn't sell in huge volume anywhere in the world.

Like it or not, artists like HHP are the way forward for SA Hip Hop (in terms becoming popular and selling 100,000+). I still believe there will be room for artists like Pro Kid, Middle Finga, Rattex, H20 & Driemanskaap - or any other rapper that proudly represents SA - they just need to concentrate on making 'crossover' tracks that gain the public's attention.

Artists with exceptional skill (such as Zubz, Tumi, Trusenz & Ben Sharpa) that sound (authentically) American will always be able to hustle a living, but it's hard to see them selling big units unless they make international quality commercial 'hits' (which is entirely possible). Lesser artists that aren't sure who they are or where they come from will NEVER sell in quantity.