Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Worst things to happen to Hip-Hop ?

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile

I think a lot of people will agree that Hip-Hop is just not the same anymore.What do u think are some of the worst things that have happened to it in the last 10 years or so ? Here is my list.

1. The East vs. West Coast bullshit.

2. The bling-bling era.

3. Nelly going 7x platinum.

4. Eminem.

5. The spaced-out, i´m a super scientist MC´s.

6. The "New" underground. Sorry but all these new underground cats like C-Rayz Walz, Aesop Rock, Anticon can´t compare to the undergound cla** of 94´, Redman, Nas, O.C., Biggie, The Liks, DITC,Big L,Lost Boyz,etc,etc.

7. The closing of Lee Club/Metropolis. Hip-hop has now moved to Rosebank, where the venue is full of doo-rag wearing kids who think Ja-Rule is the GOAT.

8. Hip-hop Clothing labels.

9. The new ROCAFELLA, sped-up voice sample sound, courtesy of Just Blaze and Kanye West.

10. MTV

11. The word "THUG".

12. Doo-rags

13. Murder INC.

14. Dj Ready D playing at major gigs and not represented the real-hiphop like he used to.

15. Internet Forums. Every forum now contains 10 or more threads about how DIPSET is the greatest group ever.

Damn , I used to LOVE H.E.R.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
damn hiphop is just no longer the same. I believe US hiphop is suffering the most. Just look at the top ten you see Lil John Camron all over the place.

Rocafella are a bit to blame for pushing this crap such as DIPset and State Property on to the market. You know Jayz hates Camron and his sidekick, Juelz, but he keeps them at ROcafella  cause the move units.

Underground hiphop is starting to sound less and less hiphop. The problem being that anyone can do a joint on the independent scene makes it more difficult to get some fresh and HOT stuff. These days so many "underground " cats are content being where they at and they start dropping bulltwang. Very few backpackers bring an entertainment element into their perfomance. There are still interesting peeps to check out like Copywrite, Vakill, MF DOOM but a lot of their careers are in the anti-climax phase.

Dipset Dipset !

Wonder what going to happen when Camron drops Purple Haze later this year. double platinum?
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

Thornz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-22
    • View Profile
Mr C, i believe u forgot P Diddy.. i mean he´s gettin respect even from the ´real mcs´.... maybe its just me, but i dont see anythin so interestin bout that niga. not since tha days of BIG anyways

morph

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Shho thats a good one Mr C

let me goi my 2cents worth in this where should i beggin :

1.The Source going mad commercial no more good jurnalism and ad reviews

2.Eminem´s second Album which is where he...just lost it for me

3.Rawkus Records Lyricst lounge 2 Which they also lost it there and also selling to mca Records

4.The Clothes element "lables"

5.MTV and B.E.T

6.The Calssification of R´n B as hip hop

7.The million dollar Vedio Shoot

8.Thug Element Brought thruogh By the Deat of Tupac

damn the list is long i just cant grasp all of them
;-)
..Insanity is coasting throught life in a miserable existance when you have a key to a lion locked inside

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Just thought of a few more.

1. Master P - Making all that money from wack shit and influencing everyone to start setting up wack indie labels.

2. Nas hiring Steve Stoute as his manager. He is responsible for the change from Nasty Nas to Escobar, and the dismissal of Cormega from the Firm.

3. Everyone from Nas to Jay-Z jockin 2pac´s dick after he dissed the f*** outta them.

4. Swizz Beatz jackin a melody from a Casio keyboard for Eve´s "What ya´ll want". That was one of the lowest point for crate-diggers worldwide.

5. Eminem making D-12 his official group instead of the Outsidaz.

6. Kwaito artists jumpin on the hip-hop bandwagon by rapping in Zulu, and then turn around and diss Hip-Hop MC´s for using English, when they stole the whole rhyming thing from us.

7. Penny Lebyane - I remember when she was the Social Butterfly on City Press and she reported on a Dead Prez concert in Botswana. She mentioned in the article how she wasn´t really into hip-hop and was just there to check the people out, now she is rap´s biggest fan.

8. Tribe called quest breaking up.

Will post more later.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Anonymous

i agree with all you cats, but the reason the new underground is the way it is is coz alot of us are trying not to sound like the old cats. its not really progressional. I hate cats that just yap in big words, i respect innovators of their own style.

my worst is when eminem traded in slim for marshall. mr c musnt hate all his shit before marshall mathers lp was dope even the shit he did 4 missy. now we have mini thugs tryin to b like him and his crew when hes just a loveless whiner.

hiphop is dying im into dnb now ikarus

Isis

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://nada
I would have to say
- half naked booty shaking boobs in ya face black barbies in every damn video
- too much sampling
- too much ego
- too many pimps
- suge knight

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
mr c musnt hate all his shit before marshall mathers lp was dope even the shit he did 4 missy

Oh no doubt about it man, i used to love Eminem. I even loved the MMLP, at least he still had lyrics then. The Eminem Show is where he fell off.I think he is focusing more on the flow now (which i think is still incredible) than lyrics. The reason i put him up in my list is because i think that his success might have done hip-hop more bad than good. Every surburban white girl is now a "hip-hop" fan cuz of him.

Anonymous

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Quote:

08-10-2003 at 03:19, Anonymous wrote:
sampling is the foundation of hip hop.  
period.

Where is this coming from, if i may ask ? Are u responding to something ?

Anonymous

Agree with everything on C´s list, except this- Aesop rock.

I think this guy is one of the best things to happen to hip-hop in a long time.
His style and lyrics are what hip hop is about - originality and creativity. he is by far the most creative mc i´ve heard in  long time, and he doesn´t alsways dwell on pseudo intellecual shit that most heads dont even understand.
Him and Guys like Del and El tha Sensei are just as good as any of the previous era´s underground.

Em is also nice, though I think he should go back to the social satire which he started out with, rather than the whining about his life, which he does now.

- PYRO -

khoi

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://The Kraal
Look I don’t want to comment about what happened to hip-hop in the US because we all know that there are a million and one things to blame for the way our beloved hip-hop is and sound.

I would rather talk about what f***ed hip-hop in Jozi (well, I’m not too how hip-hop is in other parts of the country). But in Jozi it was:

1.   the words “BATTLE & FREESTYLE” it gave far too many wack rappers props, which lead to big headed rappers with chicken brains thinking they are God’s gift to the mic.

2.   Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, RubberRoom, who else, er any way, those f***ers came with that they wack beats, senseless lyrics (space out), bullshit a** flow and gave local cat the right to rap bullshit and call it science, all of a Sunday local beatmakers started taking any sound from keyboard added a kick and called that underground sound or hardcore.  

3.   KRS One’s line “A dope MC is a dope with or without a record deal all can see” that made local mc’s think it’s wrong to have a an album out and to have a recording deal (look at what happened to Mizchief-after “Fashionable”, Amu- after his collabo with Zola and Skwatta Kamp-when they signed to Gallo).

4.   the fact that too many cats call themselves mc’s or rappers and most of them don’t even know the difference between a verse and a song.

5.   the fact that cast like DJ Blaze and Bionic Mr. Bigga, Amu (yes AMU- because let’s face it a lot of u Jozi battlecats started rapping cause they wanted top diss him, if not to be like him), don’t get the recognition, respect, and the money they deserve.

6.   the day the rappers got the idea they can outrap or outcla** New York – eg 5 out of 10 Jozi cats bought Wu-Forever, thought the Clansmen were Gods of the rap game, then studied all the lyrics, mastered the flow (especially Ghost Face’s), formed groups with more than five members, bit a few lines and made them their own, recited them to about 20 other Wu-like rappers, got a few props, auditioned on Rap Activity Jam and went on to get the most votes, then began thinking they rap better than Wu and that Wu’s wack- that´s when they dick rode Co Flow.      

Penny Lebyane - I remember when she was the Social Butterfly on City Press and she reported on a Dead Prez concert in Botswana. She mentioned in the article how she wasn´t really into hip-hop and was just there to check the people out, now she is rap´s biggest fan

pls understand im not defending Penny cause I’m not sure about her sudden love for hip-hop, maybe something after that concert sparked her interest in hip-hop but what we should concentrate on is that both her and Zack are giving hip-hop a chance, let’s not take this 4 granted like we took Rap Activity. I agree they might be in it 4 the money or whateva but rappers need to stop complaining about jumping on the hip-hop bandwagon and take this opportunity to use metro, Penny, Zack and any other form of media to get exposure.

Please note you might not need the exposure but the hip-hop culture needs it so we can start using our rhyming skills to put food our tables.  

[ This message was edited by: khoi on 08-10-2003 04:37 ]

[ This message was edited by: khoi on 08-10-2003 05:13 ]
wabulawayo Kraal we kill - only time will reveal

Anonymous

Quote:

08-10-2003 at 04:36, khoi wrote:
Look I don’t want to comment about what happened to hip-hop in the US because we all know that there are a million and one things to blame for the way our beloved hip-hop is and sound.

I would rather talk about what f***ed hip-hop in Jozi (well, I’m not too how hip-hop is in other parts of the country). But in Jozi it was:

1.   the words “BATTLE & FREESTYLE” it gave far too many wack rappers props, which lead to big headed rappers with chicken brains thinking they are God’s gift to the mic.

2.   Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, RubberRoom, who else, er any way, those f***ers came with that they wack beats, senseless lyrics (space out), bullshit a** flow and gave local cat the right to rap bullshit and call it science, all of a Sunday local beatmakers started taking any sound from keyboard added a kick and called that underground sound or hardcore.  

3.   KRS One’s line “A dope MC is a dope with or without a record deal all can see” that made local mc’s think it’s wrong to have a an album out and to have a recording deal (look at what happened to Mizchief-after “Fashionable”, Amu- after his collabo with Zola and Skwatta Kamp-when they signed to Gallo).

4.   the fact that too many cats call themselves mc’s or rappers and most of them don’t even know the difference between a verse and a song.

5.   the fact that cast like DJ Blaze and Bionic Mr. Bigga, Amu (yes AMU- because let’s face it a lot of u Jozi battlecats started rapping cause they wanted top diss him, if not to be like him), don’t get the recognition, respect, and the money they deserve.

6.   the day the rappers got the idea they can outrap or outcla** New York – eg 5 out of 10 Jozi cats bought Wu-Forever, thought the Clansmen were Gods of the rap game, then studied all the lyrics, mastered the flow (especially Ghost Face’s), formed groups with more than five members, bit a few lines and made them their own, recited them to about 20 other Wu-like rappers, got a few props, auditioned on Rap Activity Jam and went on to get the most votes, then began the rap better than Wu and that Wu’s wack.      

Penny Lebyane - I remember when she was the Social Butterfly on City Press and she reported on a Dead Prez concert in Botswana. She mentioned in the article how she wasn´t really into hip-hop and was just there to check the people out, now she is rap´s biggest fan

pls understand im not defending Penny cause I’m not sure about her sudden love for hip-hop, maybe something after that concert sparked her interest in hip-hop but what we should concentrate on is that both her and Zack are giving hip-hop a chance, let’s not take this 4 granted like we took Rap Activity. I agree they might be in it 4 the money or whateva but rappers need to stop complaining about jumping on the hip-hop bandwagon and take this opportunity to use metro, Penny, Zack and any other form of media to get exposure.

Please note you might not need the exposure but the hip-hop culture needs it so we can start using our rhyming skills to put food our tables.  

My god, you talk alot of shit, dont you?

First of all, it shouldn´t be about putting food on the table, it should be about doing what you love and if it happens to bring in some cash consider that as a bonus, not a right.Penny and Metro are abusing hip hop as a tool to increase Metro and their websites popularity. That´s why Zack recieved a special commendation from their marketing department, cos ever since they started promoting the site on air, evry idiot with a nursery rhyme book, is logging on, wanting to battle me and the other site vets, in the hope that they´ll get some play on the show. that´s one of the worst things to happen to S.A. hip hop.

secondly, El-p and Co-flow  whack??
these people are far from spaced out. they give it to you straight and simple. no bullshit, no fancy beats. if you´re not feeling that,stick to 50 cents. you can call yourself zim dolla and release a album full of club songs..

- PYRO -

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Quote:

08-10-2003 at 04:36, khoi wrote:

6.   the day the rappers got the idea they can outrap or outcla** New York – eg 5 out of 10 Jozi cats bought Wu-Forever, thought the Clansmen were Gods of the rap game, then studied all the lyrics, mastered the flow (especially Ghost Face’s), formed groups with more than five members, bit a few lines and made them their own, recited them to about 20 other Wu-like rappers, got a few props, auditioned on Rap Activity Jam and went on to get the most votes, then began thinking they rap better than Wu and that Wu’s wack- that´s when they dick rode Co Flow.      

[ This message was edited by: khoi on 08-10-2003 05:13 ]

I AGREE WITH THIS 100%..

this is exactly the hip hop state of in JSec..

but yeah the truth is that COMPANY FLOW MAY HAVE SINGLE HANDADLY USING ONE ALBUMN f***ED HIP HOP ENTIRELY..

NEVER HAS ON ALBUMN TORN THE HIP HOP WORLD IN HALF, WHO THE f*** YOU THINK CREATED THE MONSTA WE CALL ANTICON TODAY(and the NOWA DAY DEFINITION OF BACKPACKERS) . EL P MADE IT ACCEPTABLE TO MAKE "ABSTRACT ART" PART OF HIP HOP. MAKE BEATS LIKE THE ONES HE MAKES PART OF HIP HOP...IF I WERE TO REALLY SAYA ONE THING EL IS THE WORST THHING TO HAPPEN TO HIP HOP( HE IS FAR FROM WACK......BUT LIKE HE SAYS "oh jesus, you misInterpreted that funkcrush shit) ..THATS WHERE THE SPLIT IN HIP HOP HAPPENED ON HALF MISUNDERSTOOD FUNKCRUSH AND THOSE ARE THE SO CALLED BACKPACKING , ADVANCED HIP HOPPERS...

I WILL DISAGREE WITH YOU ON AESOP ROCK THO, BUT ITS ALL IN THE SAME LIGHT AS EL, MISINTERPRETATION...ANYWAY CUTTING A LONG STORY SHORT..

FUNKCRUSHER PLUS IS THE SINGLE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO HIP HOP, NOT FOR THE PRODUCT...NAH..ITS THE WAY HIP HOP ACCEPTED OR REJECTED IT....

"CAUSE YOU KNOW NOTHING BOUT THE CULTURE THAT CREATED HIP HOP MUSIC" - EL-P

LISTEN TO HIS FANTASTIC DAMAGE HE EXPLAIN IT ALL...BUT YEAH EL-P
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.