Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Radio Djs:Pay me or No play

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
It is a well known fact that " some" Djs get paid by artists to play  tracks on their stations.(payola)
& "some" djs  play these tracks because they deserve to get played coz they tight.

Getting ONE'S music played in Radio stations plays major role in an artist's career.

My question is in all this;How do  these SA Djs(hip hop)  decide not to play some GOOD & TIGHT certain artists tracks in their stations?
IS THEIR POCKET,NOT DEEP ENOUGH? TO GET RADIO PLAY! Or There is no more Good music coming out this year 2006.

IT seems we hearing same old songs day by day,week in,week out.

I would like 2 hear from AG Radio djs mostly,What they think?

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
On the Hiphocalypse, we don't pay for play. End of story. We've never accepted money from an artist to play their material and never will.

We play tracks which we feel our audience will enjoy. Our selection is based on audience research coupled with our instincts with regards to what makes a good hip-hop tracks. Payola doesn't even come into it.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
As an Artist I will be honest alot of Radio stations are a bitch, I should know I dropped of our promotional cd at nearly all the stations that have a hip-hop show and they have been no response except for The Essence, and its not that my track is wack or not mastered properly, its the fact that I refuse to but kiss with radio stations that expect me to pay them. THe ironic this is that when you blow up and get the attention then they expect you to do you interviews for free! But when youwas coming up they emptied your pockets. Also if an artist can make enough noise on the streets and at shows then chances are they will have to play your track to keep there listeners happy.

My 50 cent on the matter

Explicit

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
Quote from: "Rip_the_jacker"

My question is in all this;How do  these SA Djs(hip hop)  decide not to play some GOOD & TIGHT certain artists tracks in their stations?
IS THEIR POCKET,NOT DEEP ENOUGH? TO GET RADIO PLAY!

BEEF/HATE and industry politics.if u feel ur track was dope and would actually do well on the radio and they just dont seem to be playin it then someone at the station or the record company (yours or a rival company) is black balling. chances are, u will continue to be black balled until u sign with gallo and they pay your Payola meaning they sucked dick for you or you made peace with whoever is black balling you.

The music industry is not what you know or how ill u are, its about who you know and how many units u can move.

my 50 cents
XO.WITHTANK.COM

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ootz"

BEEF/HATE and industry politics.if u feel ur track was dope and would actually do well on the radio and they just dont seem to be playin it then someone at the station or the record company (yours or a rival company) is black balling. chances are, u will continue to be black balled until u sign with gallo and they pay your Payola meaning they sucked dick for you or you made peace with whoever is black balling you.

The music industry is not what you know or how ill u are, its about who you know and how many units u can move

my 50 cents

True You couldnt have said it better, Look at the Pro-kid and Kaydo beef, they got the drama going but radio djs like touch got involved and chances are you will not hear Trinity stuff on Rhyme and Reason. That would also expain why alot of cats if featuring cats like Pro, Zubz and hhp in the hope of airplay. When I say that I mean the up coming cats.
But its a matter of time until Radio stations will be pushed to play real hip-hop ad not but kiss-hop.

Explicit

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Quote from: explicit
As an Artist I will be honest alot of Radio stations are a bitch, I should know I dropped of our promotional cd at nearly all the stations that have a hip-hop show and they have been no response except for The Essence, and its not that my track is wack or not mastered properly, its the fact that I refuse to but kiss with radio stations that expect me to pay them.

*Quietly coughs in the corner* ahemHiphocalypseahem

How about you send us a copy of that CD? Else I can pick it up in Jozi when I'm up for the Jay-Z concert.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rob_one"
Quote from: "explicit"
As an Artist I will be honest alot of Radio stations are a bitch, I should know I dropped of our promotional cd at nearly all the stations that have a hip-hop show and they have been no response except for The Essence, and its not that my track is wack or not mastered properly, its the fact that I refuse to but kiss with radio stations that expect me to pay them.

*Quietly coughs in the corner* ahemHiphocalypseahem
How about you send us a copy of that CD? Else I can pick it up in Jozi when I'm up for the Jay-Z concert.

My Bad, I cant catch the show in J-sec but I know you cats have been spinning it in Grahamstown so BIG UP to HIPHOACALYPES

THANKS FOR DA SUPPORT
I know if we have to come down to da town we will burn the stage and cats will know us, thanks to you cats BIG UP

Explicit

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
I not only blame the DJs but also corporate a**ociations such as
Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting. It's like the station DJ
doesn't exist anymore. This has really become a big problem in the
States. They play like the same 15 song in a row.

I really hate when stations change format though. I remember
when my semi-favorite station JAMZ 910 AM "mysteriously" changed
to a Spanish station. Meanwhile, Z-93.7 FM, my favorite station at the time that played Soul and Funk cla**ics became a Hip-Pop station.
The funny and sad memory was that since the new "HOT 93.7" played Three 6 Mafia's "Chickenheads" about 18 million times, everyone (especially the Chickenheads themselves) liked it so much that it
became my High School's anthem.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I feel you, There was a show that I was once listenin to and this Dj played the same song twice just because he liked it and even said on radio "I can play it again because I can", and they we wonder why the ratings go down and stations lose listeners!

Explicit

Danone

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: ootz

BEEF/HATE and industry politics....

The music industry is not what you know or how ill u are, its about who you know and how many units u can move.

Chea, very true!!!

Im Not no radio dj. However, my xperience in the industry so far tells me that everything from gettn songs on radio, to gettn songs on albums or any other projects is, for the most part, based having some sort of (personal) relationship with sum1 at the record label/ an mc/or at radio. U need to either know dudes directly or know sum1 who knws sum1 (who knows sum1).

Dudes at radio/record labels recieve a whole rack of demo's and promo cd's. A whole bunch!!! So much so that they tend to disregard some ish n not take it seriously...coz a lotta times dudes bring mediocre shit jus hopin to strike it lucky!! (although not always)!!!
Usually, to put it simply, in order for them to take the jauns seriously, u need sum1 @ d label/station who can co-sign u n vouch 4 u!!
quot;A HUNGRY NIGGA WILL EAT ANYTHING YOU FEED HIM, A BROKE NIGGA WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU f***'N TELL HIM, AND A RICH NIGGA WILL BUY ANYTHIHG YOU f***'N SELL HIM" - JAY JENKINS

www.myspace.com/danonemusik

3000 BC

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
The music industry is not what you know or how ill u are, its about who you know and...

yep! the 'industry pussy' chandis...ne?

guess we know of a couple radio hosts whose sleepin partners have conviniently made it to the awards with little skills or ma** appeal...

8O hmmm.....i wonder if size counts

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ENDZI"
The music industry is not what you know or how ill u are, its about who you know and...

guess we know of a couple radio hosts whose sleepin partners have conviniently made it to the awards with little skills or ma** appeal...
 8O hmmm.....i wonder if size counts

Penny Lebiane:DODGY HEY!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
there too much politics in radio!!!!!! payola is a harsh reality!!!! my advise is!!! get ya street buzz goin before u even go to radio!!!!! some cats like touch are doin it right!

he slammed my shit forever jus cos it was that nice!!!! i only met the nigga a yr after we dropped that joint at metro! HE SIMPLY HEARD IT!! KNEW IT WAS HOT!!! PLAYED IT!!!! THE PEOPLES RESPONSE WAS SICK!!!! SO THE TRACK GOT HEAVY ROTATION!!!!! IT WAS ON MERIT! no a** kissin! no money payed!!!!!!!

all these other biatches takin payola can eat a dick!!!!!

on the flipside tho! u can also use payola to ur advantage if u got the paper and want to break in a new unknown talent!!! cos in most cases a cat is super tight but will never get the opportunity to get his music to the ma**es!!!!! with the money! u can expose this talent and get the bullshit off the radio!!!!!!! its a tricky subject, COS in the states, 50 and them payed dj's to play THE GAME!!! which helped him blow up!!!!!
@cash_sog

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
the truth is most radio stsions that pla y urban music take payola hate it or love it.

thats is why i spent 3 bucks /per cd printing promo material for free so i cAN GET MY MUSIC ACROSS WITHOUT paying a dj payola