Africasgateway.com

Haven't we heard this before

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
EA just released a demo for fifa 07. This person details some "alleged" great points about Fifa 07 and the "problems" with Pro Evolution

Do you know how I could tell if this game was good, or bad? First thing - for the first ten minutes of playing this demo (with a proper gamepad for the first time ever), I was gutted, to be honest. The way the players moved, pa**ed, the buttons being in different places than I'm used to... From playing with the keyboard I was given a totally different starting impression, and I was so disappointed. I was expecting a lot more; the gameplay wasn't the same as the previous FIFA, nowhere near, it was totally different, but still not a good game of football. I just couldn't get into it, the controls were all over the place and the players seemed to do whatever they wanted.

After those ten minutes, I didn't look back. I settled into the controls, the players started doing what I actually wanted them to do, and everything fell into place for me. Through balls, crosses, tackles, all started getting timed properly. It was starting to feel like a real game. Do you know the last game I had this experience with (hating it for the first few games, wondering what had gone wrong and wishing it had stayed exactly the same - although I hadn't wished the latter with FIFA obviously)?

That's right, a game by the name of Pro Evolution Soccer. That could only be a good sign.

I started noticing a few things. How silky-smooth is the pa**ing in this game?! Christ alive, it's glorious. You can play a real (very real) pa**ing game, you can ping it around and get your opponents totally wound up. You've got time, space - the space of a REAL football pitch, Konami! Are you listening to this?! The opponents can drop back, but if they start getting pissed off then they will come for you - sometimes straying out of position, sometimes realising their mistakes and not being fooled for a minute. You're not constantly HAVING to press pa** because you don't have any choice, which is the way Winning Eleven is currently. The pa**ing in this demo feels, and looks, JUST RIGHT, it's spectacular (at this point, please bear in mind that I don't say things like this lightly, as I hope the beginning of the next sentence illustrates). The guys who argue that Pro Evo's gameplay is better - well yeah, it probably is. But not in every department. People will disagree I'm sure, but as far as I'm concerned, the pa**ing in this game is the most realistic pa**ing I've seen in a football game. And I didn't think I'd ever say that since I discovered Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution years ago; my first ever WE game.

So far most of the pa**es I've done have gone in the direction of their intended target, whereas 50% of the time in Pro Evo I find the ball gets sent to a TOTALLY different player than the one intended by as much as 90 degrees. I also love the shots, which again I think are more realistic than in Pro Evo currently - it takes so much getting into, but it's realistic. You can only do a decent, powerful shot depending on which way you're facing and how many degrees you're trying to skew the ball away - e.g. if you do a shot that's straight in the direction your player is facing, you'll hit a belter, if you're facing towards the crowd and you press shoot, swinging the stick left/right as you do it, the shot won't be very good 90% of the time. Again, it's realistic in a different kind of way to Winning Eleven entirely.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - I view WE and FIFA 07 as being peas in a pod now. Both have excellent gameplay, but in different ways (and both with flaws). FIFA 07 has pa**ing to die for (seriously, I could just sit here, press the pa** button and sigh for ages), Winning Eleven has better goalkeeper reactions (I've seen Van Der Saar make one or two mistakes he just would not do in real life). I should also say that the dribbling in WE is better, but then saying that, I've never, ever had the fcukin chance to dribble against a CPU opponent due to not being able to move in the opposition's half (as I'm about to explain). But the fact is, from my personal perspective, I've had enough of the pa**ing in Winning Eleven. You get the ball, there's a man breathing down your neck, gotta pa**, press the pa** button in a panic - you get the ball, there's a man breathing down your neck, etc... Sorry, but in a game that we all preach is realistic, that isn't. You see players pressing for the ball in real life, sure - but you don't see every single player pressing every single second of the game. Football in real life isn't a bunch of pa**es kicked in COMPLETE PANIC because there's someone sprinting towards you like a nutter - at least, not with every single frigging pa**.

I don't think the "would you prefer a stunning babe who gives crap bj's or an ugly cow who fcuk's like a machine" argument is valid any more either, because the fact is that they both have a good engine under the bonnet now - just in different ways. Neither set of gameplay is worse, or better, than the other one. The pa**ing in FIFA shows up Winning Eleven completely - but the dribbling in WE is better than in FIFA (sorry but the "trickstick" thing just doesn't work for me, maybe I'm too old thinking that it's gimmicky).

However, PES6 is no longer on my mind. As far as I'm concerned, this is now realistic enough to merit purchasing. Not only will this mean that I don't have to cope with the master league any more (for the ninth year in a row, how sad is that - come on Seaba**, pull that tackle out of your mouth and get creative), but I'll also be treated to a sparkling presentation. Of course, that's of the least importance, but you try saying that when you do a tackle, the crowd goes "oooh" in appreciation and applauds. Seriously, when that happened, I remembered a match I watched on Match of the Day this weekend and shivers went down my spine, the likeness was uncanny. Realism of a different kind - it's all good.

I suppose it's up to what each individual likes, though. There's plenty of guys who will prefer dribbling (as has already been mentioned in this thread) and so will prefer the latest Pro Evo, and that's fair enough. I think we should all be allowed to like whatever we like and not have "fanboy" or any kind of insult thrown around. Have fun playing your game of choice this year, and if you happen to choose FIFA, I'll catch you online sometime most probably.

I have to agree with the points about pa**ing the ball. Winning Eleven is BS when the CPU constantly pressure you. From the 1st min to 90 mins they are pressing right up against you which isnt realistic at all. Thats not how Football is. Winning Eleven/Pro Evo needs work and all the mags should not be giving it 10/10 saying its ultra realistic etc. Hopefully a good Fifa 07 will make Konami wake up and sort things out. Master League being the 1st on the list!!!

I will give Fifa a try this year.

Syntactic is gonna laugh his a** off when he sees this  :lol:  :lol:

That not good enough for ya?

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
That dude doesn't know shit, Pro Evo is the best, period...

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
I just find it incredibly amusing that with every new release of fifa, there is always some "respected" EA FAGBOY in one of the magazines or online talking about how it's now matched up to Pro Evo on the field in gameplay and how it's other add on shite is so much better than PES so Fifa will now become THE gamers choice.

Then people play it, and it's still as poor as ever and you can still fire up the scores by finding out the one path that pratically guarantees a goal every shot and you win 15-0 on 5 minute matches at the top difficulty.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
PES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fifa

THERE HASN'T BEEN A GOOD FIFA GAME SINCE 99! :evil:  :evil:

That not good enough for ya?