Wu tang could record new album

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
The a**ociated Press

Published: September 28, 2006

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands The rap group Wu-Tang Clan may record together again if its members can resolve their personal differences, member Ghostface Killah said.

Some in the clan are not productive when they meet as a group, the rapper said Wednesday night after performing at the club Escape in Amsterdam. He recorded an improvised single on the spot as part of a major technology and media conference.

"Certain members is comfortable, and certain members is not comfortable" with the group dynamic, he said.

The group has not put out an album of new material since 2001, as its nine members have been busy with solo projects. But Killah said a reunion was possible, even after the 2004 death by drug overdose of one of the founding members, Ol' Dirty Bastard.

"If we can really come together and ... put aside all the differences that we had, then we could make a Wu-Tang album," he said. "We gotta square up a lot."

Born Dennis Coles, Ghostface Killah's stage name comes from a Kung-Fu movie, and because in the early days of the group, he performed wearing a white mask. But on Wednesday he said that period of his life was behind him. A new action figure of him does not portray him with a mask, though it does feature real 14 carat gold chains.

"The reason I quit the mask thing, is, it was like, when I was doing shows with the mask on, people couldn't really hear what I was saying, you know what I mean?"

Killah was briefly known just as "Ghostface," a move he said was suggested by some of his producers at Def Jam, but the nickname was dropped with this year's release of his album "Fishscale."

"It always (really) was Ghostface Killah," he said.

Asked what he thought about people downloading his music without paying, he said that as an artist, he backs the recording industry line.

"I don't really like it. You know they're going to take away from my album sales, but you know you can't stop it so."

But he said that if people did not have money to buy his songs, then it would be all right. "I mean, if you're poor, yeah."

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands The rap group Wu-Tang Clan may record together again if its members can resolve their personal differences, member Ghostface Killah said.

Some in the clan are not productive when they meet as a group, the rapper said Wednesday night after performing at the club Escape in Amsterdam. He recorded an improvised single on the spot as part of a major technology and media conference.

"Certain members is comfortable, and certain members is not comfortable" with the group dynamic, he said.

The group has not put out an album of new material since 2001, as its nine members have been busy with solo projects. But Killah said a reunion was possible, even after the 2004 death by drug overdose of one of the founding members, Ol' Dirty Bastard.

"If we can really come together and ... put aside all the differences that we had, then we could make a Wu-Tang album," he said. "We gotta square up a lot."

Born Dennis Coles, Ghostface Killah's stage name comes from a Kung-Fu movie, and because in the early days of the group, he performed wearing a white mask. But on Wednesday he said that period of his life was behind him. A new action figure of him does not portray him with a mask, though it does feature real 14 carat gold chains.

"The reason I quit the mask thing, is, it was like, when I was doing shows with the mask on, people couldn't really hear what I was saying, you know what I mean?"

Killah was briefly known just as "Ghostface," a move he said was suggested by some of his producers at Def Jam, but the nickname was dropped with this year's release of his album "Fishscale."

"It always (really) was Ghostface Killah," he said.

Asked what he thought about people downloading his music without paying, he said that as an artist, he backs the recording industry line.

"I don't really like it. You know they're going to take away from my album sales, but you know you can't stop it so."

But he said that if people did not have money to buy his songs, then it would be all right. "I mean, if you're poor, yeah."