Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

October's Hype Magazine [First Mizi Edition]

Dpleezy · 131 · 42770

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Everybody seems to be cosing up in here, i'm hear to disturb the peace!!!

First the mag gets a 5/10, good, regarding the fact that every other issue i'd rate at -10/10

The Highs

The stories are more accurate. less sensational
The Jigga, Knaan ang BBe president articles were well-documented.
The JDilla poster is a plus
The Kev Brown joint superb

The Lows

No representation of other places like P.E amd East london on the scenez section.

Somebody seems to be shoving Pretoria Heads up in our face. Does hakeem and his boys have to be on every hype issue, come on people.

Again, 5 out of 16 tracks, Pretoria heads, thats f***en a third of the cd!!

PhibaOptik

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.koolooma.com
Quote from: rob_one
Design: shoddy, slapdash and inconsistent.

Subbing: Worse, if possible, than in Fungayi's  day. I didn't know the Roots were fronted by a guy called Black Thaught. Or that the group was called Led Zepplin. How you hire a sub who doesn't know how to spell the names of artists is beyond me. I actually got physically angry reading the mag.

Writing: Improved drastically, but still incoherent and all over the place. Blindfold contributed the most pointless column I've ever read. And Ready D is, quite frankly, as good a writer as he is a bad DJ. Superb piece on K'Naan however. Once again, the best writer in the mag, Phiona Okomu, is based in London. When are we going to see some truly excellent writing?

That said, if anybody's going to wack this thing into shape it's Mizi and Simz. (actually emailed Mizi re these issues and he responded, and what's more, didn't think me a complete prat!)

I THINK THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN A RHODES GRADUATE COMPLAINING ABOUT SH!T IS A RHODES GRADUATE NOT GETTING OUT THERE AND DOING HIS THING...

AND WHILST U CRIT THE MAG.. U GIVE PROPS TO YOUR FELLOW RHODES GRADUATE.. BASED IN LONDON AT THAT...

DECIDE WHERE U WANNA BE.. BOFFIE...
hiba Optik
Info'mation Conduit

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
You know, I used to type all my shit in CAPS too. Then I realized I didn't want a job for the rest of my life mixing concrete. (thanks Maddox!)

Rhodes graduate? Shit, have I graduated? News to me. As is the fact that Phiona is an RU grad. Cool.

And radio's my hustle, not magazines. Go do some research on the Hiphocalypse. Come back. Then we'll talk.

Mind you, why do I have to justify myself to you? I'm satisfied that I put actions before words. It just happens outside a message board and in the real world.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
copped the mag. didnt really notice anything applausably different. the mag still doesnt do it for me. i repeat, the mag doesnt do it 'for me'. On the other hand, props to the editor for making a couple more people more happy with the product. we all know that he cant make everybody happy. i consider myself just one of a handfull of people who will probably never be happy with the content and direction of the mag. i say this because of all the issues i have read, i have never read an article that was of particular interest to me, neither have i seen an interview with an individual i would liked to have read about. i consider it a fair a**umption to believe that things wont change because in my opinion, things are exactly the same even with the new editor, beside a slight change in basic format as well as graphical content. about the scenes section, i found it particularly odd that not only did cats leave scenes like p.e, e.l and freestate out, but they substituted them with scenes outside the country! I for one didnt cop the mag to find out about whats goin on outside sa. i was told by a source that said there would be a scenes section.i copped the mag expecting to see something on the eastern cape scene, but saw nothing at all! Seems like a lot more effort to find out what is going on internationally than what is going on nationally. I can confirm that there is actually quite a bussling scene here in p.e, so if there was an idea that there isnt one, then now, everyone should kno there is. I had a feeling that a lot of focus was going to be on pta acts. i decided to keep quiet about that tho and wait for the new issue to prove me wrong. im glad i wasnt holding my breath. i dont really kno about the politics involved with running a mag. but i just feel if you are going to push a mag nationally, then the content should be exactly that, containing a little something that even what some may consider to be the bottom feeders ie the E.C can relate to.
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

Sduhla

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-2
    • View Profile
I've finally copped and read the October issue of the HYPE, and I honestly have not noticed a major paradigm shift from Funnygay's era! The layout has definately improved, so have the grammar and spellin. The K'naan interview is the ONLY significant article in the magazine.  Either than that, I have to agree wit Rob One- the magazine is as incoherent and pop as ever. I however, unlike Rob One have arrived at a different conclusion: I don't think that Hype magazine can ever improve even wit the best minds workin on it. I think the fact that the hip hop scene out here is gentrified and gay will always be reflected thru weak albums, mixtapes and 'hip hop' magazines. In other words, I don't think we can have a real and quality hip hop magazine, whilst the hip hop scene is weak, incoherent, gentrified, and GAY! Don't despair Mizi, there's nothin u can do about the state of hip hop in South Africa- the structural contradictions hip hop is entangled in are BIGGER than u and me.
Now I welcome those on the 'African hip hop' drug to crucify me. I love u back. Peace

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
@ biz-ark-human

If you would like to contribute contact me at mizi@hypemagazine.co.za

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
SCENEZ section

The Scenez   section is a step in the right direction because it will constantly remind us what is happening al over. This section depends on the journalists in specific areas and their pa**ion for the hip hop movement in their area. I tried to contact cats all over the country to write about their scene. I got nothing from P.E. So if u are involved in a specific scene, please contact me at mizi@hypemegazine.co.za and propose a story. Please submit work and your area will be reprsented. Cats from the other areas were so excited to write about what they were up to. This mag is noy mine alone.

Cats from Holland and London are mailing me daily, proposing stories on their local scenes. Cats from Europe are submitting work before P.E and Bloem? If I reach out and get no response from a city, I can a**ume the scene there is quiet.

Why wouldnt you want to read about scenes outside the country. This is why I think it is valuable. Europe is very receptive to SA hip hop. See Tumi and the Volume and their successful Europe tours. Through publishing these Euro cats, I familiarise them with heads here so that colabos can become possible. I will submit our scenes pages to other mags etc in Europe so they know us. Through that, we create an exchange platform that will take our artists far. Open new markets.

If that is not valuable, I can scrap the vision of an exchange platform and not try create new markets.

Please lets think carefully

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
@ Sduhla

I am all ears in AG. I must say, sometimes it has been draining and a bit upsetting. At times its constructive. I appreciate suggestions that could improve what I deliver to you cats. That gives me energy. I live for new ideas and working solutions so hit me up with whatever you feel will make your reading experience better.

Key word: Solutions

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Hi Mizi,

Thanks for you addy. You'll be sure to get stuff from Grahamstown in the next two months.

N.

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
@ Mizi

I STILL NEED TO KNOW WHY 5 OUT OF 16 TRACKS ARE OF ARTISTS a**OCIATED WITH PEOPLE WHO COMPILED THE CD!!!!.

I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME MORE CAPE TOWN HIPHOP ON THAT MAG TOO, OUR SEEN IS MUCH BIGGER THAN PRETORIA. 8)

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
to sound like everyone on ag now i also copped the mag, and errrrr was a tat bit impressed bt i guess its Mizi's 1st issue.....and me i like Mizi coz he wants to hear wat the readers have got to say something tht Fungayi neva did...and another thing i was happy nt c is 40% of the mag dedicated to pta cats..abt E.L and P.E hook shyt up represent the E.C...till the nxt issue one
 am hell behold!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
On the real, aren't ya'll getting tired of this regional shyt already ? Cape Town this, J-Sec that, Pretoria this. Like the man said, if cats don't submit material then what the f*** is he supposed to do ? I'm all about South African hip-hop period. I couldn't give a f*** if it comes from Tzaneen, Upington or King Williams Town. If it's dope its dope.
What does it matter where you come from ? This is something i have never understood about hip-hop. You don't see boere musik cats on some "Free State vs. Nothern Transvaal shyt".

This is a bad legacy that we in SA seems to have adopted from the States, with that whole East Vs. West shyt.

Actually i kinda feel sorry for Mizi cos whatever he does, there's always people that are not gonna be happy with his selection/artists interviews,etc,etc.

Oh well . . .
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

kinetik

• AG Regular
    • View Profile

SolitaryNative

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-4
  • Feature now Defunct
    • View Profile
The mag this month was nice.  Much broader incorporation of more aspects of Hip Hop, nothing really to complain about which is somehwhat of a first.

The CD- minus a coupla listings ( you can NEVER please everybody) was too nice.  That's actually why I'm here.  The Ben Sharpa and Jitsvinger (ed.) joints were well placed and are just too dope. Got me on one of those deep what is hip hop type things and recognised that comparison is sometimes fultile.  Styles are way diverse but shit- all too nice.  Jitsvinger (ed.) I've only ever heard scraps of and I've said before is like the Roots Manuva of the SA game (on some levels).  Where can I pick up more of that?  According to my own stupid prejudices I'm supposed to despise Afrikaans in all forms but there's something about Hip Hop that's just bigger than channels some of the time.

Nice mag though, the approach just feels different.  Without stepping out of my box it's also nice to see a more mature approach to hip hop media i.e. giving love to and reflecting on the scene/s, movements etc and not acting like a dominating and decisive force as to the progresion of things before they get to the mag.  If you catch de drift.  

Anyway, keep it up- and if anyone has any Jitsvinger (ed.) pointers, please lemme know.