October's Hype Magazine [First Mizi Edition]

Dpleezy · 131 · 42764

surgeblaqstarr

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-3
    • View Profile
Is the HYPE sessions compilation cd included :?:
ealTh is of the Heart and MInd,
Not of the Pocket....................................?????

f*** IT!! I Still PREFER tha POCKET!!

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
sadly.. i have never read HYPE...
i did however undertake a pilgrimage to Jozi in 2004 to speak t the cats at Intelligence Publishing about playing an active role in the venture..

whilst the chemistry was good, i had sensed from the getgo that the only driving force there was HOW MUCH MOONSHINE CAN WE SQUEEZE OUT OF THIS HUGELY OVERLOOKED MARKET VIA ADVERTISERS THAT WANNA REACH THEM... and that saddened me to the extent that i was happy to continue working as a call centre agent for Cell C...

however, as a Capitalist Nigga i am still intent on making my move on the hiphop ma**iv.. be it now or in future.

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN DO THIS THING RIGHT ARE THE PEOPLE WITH THE NOSES IN IT...
The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
Hi everybody. Damn.. ha ha ha. The amount of fire! Whooh. I guess applied for this hot seat and now Im sittin on it.  My name is Mizi.
Ya. The Jigga cover.

The Jay-Z cover seems to be a good strategic move because of the fact that he is in the country at the moment. That is the mag at face value and if this is all that is looked at, that is what it will remain. - a big picture of Jay-Z with no thought and no relevance to the SA market.

However, looking at the editorial piece, it will bacome clear that this issue is mainly about hip hop as a business. I speak directly to indy record label owners such as those of BBE, Unreleased and B.U.K.A. We speak about how the hip hop economy works ie: how many copies they press, what they spend on the product and marketing etc, how to make a profit.

When looking at making money out of hip hop, Jay-Z is a prime example and in this case, somebody heads can look up to. If you are to take pointers from the Jay-Z cover story, you will know how he has built himself, not as a rapper, but as a businessman. By the way thats why he wears a suit on the cover.

People in the industry can learn a lot from the content in this issue. I know that I learned a whole lot about how to run a record label. I just hope the issue will teach heads something that will help them uplift the artform.

Local vs International Cover stories. HYPE is on it's 15th issue. Ten of these have been local. In an attempt to cover the local and internationl artists, thereby placing them on the same platform, HYPE has taken the decision to have 30% international and 70% local. To the publishing team this makes sense because the international covers make money. Kanye West cover sold out wheras some local covers have sold less than 50%. This means the people are buying the international covers. We will, however do two local covers in a row from now on but we will have to balance things out with an international one somewhere along the line.

One observation: The Kanye issue sold out. This issue contained a lot of local info. Because the cover was topical, current and recognisable, the mag was copped and the local content inside reached a whole lot more people (+-300 000). Tough the cover was not local, that issue gave a lot of local cats the exposure they needed.

Local Cover:
Honestly, the past 6 months have seen few notable releases. It is not like the time when Pro-Kid, Salwin, Wikid, Amu, ProVerb, Zubz and Skwatta were all flooding the market with fresh material. Everybody is dropping in December, which I think is a poor strategic move from their side.
 Yes I see TearGas and it is great that the album is out and getting air play, but I feel that they have not yet settled into the local hip hop scene. This is because I dont see them at shows so I cannot conform that they are well rounded representatives of the hip hop scene. I simply want to see them doing more in the scene. (Hey, Justin Timberlake gets airplay but he is not part of the local scene... if he came out to State Theatre and Slaghuis I would then consider him part of this scene. feel me?)
Ya the past 6 months have been quite dry. Rappers!! Make more moves and I'll come through for that cover shoot playa!!

So ya, If cats want to see local covers every single time, lets support the local covers when they come out so we can keep pushing them.

There is so much to be discussed and I would like to hear comments after the mag has been copped and read. I will try my best to please the AG heads and at times I may not please everybody (ie: rappers who dont make it on the CD, publishers, Crunk lovers, NY hip hop lovers, PTA cats, JHB underground, rural cats, teeny boppers, OGs etc etc)

Peace Nyambo. Peace Uno... for the defence. Id take a bullet for you
Ya cats listen to Left Field, eat food and be happy.

NXZ

• Guppie
    • View Profile
"rap magz/ tryn use ma black a**/ so advetises can give em mo cash for ads"The last Hype had a JIGGA article now this one 2.I have a problem with the size of the mag,i think its 2 small.I read it in a day & i have to wait 4 another 2months. I also feel like yall should put more effort on the album reviews. The MORALE joint is dope & Nthabi is a lot wiser than i thought, CHO!!!!!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Just want to say big ups to Mizi for posting on these forums and not automatically getting the wrong idea - unlike another editor whose name we shall not mention.

May your reign at HYPE towers be long, prosperous and filled with funky-a** music.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Stone the Dave

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Nice one Mzi. Jus  listened to ya interview on Y FM like 10 Minutes ago.

A lot of these "MC" and Hip hop lovers are very ignorant. Why? Way before u'll even see the inside of the mag and the relevence of Gay-Z's article cats are quick to jumb to conclusions. Gay-Z is a successful bizness man from Who we all can learn something. Instead of hating so much take a lesson and apply only that which will be part of ur musical perception.

Seems like for the only way for Mzi to really be understood, especially with regards to decisions on the Mags content, will be if he's to make an explaination for each months release detailing the reasons and concept behind the issue. At least we as consumers(mo like a former) we'll undastand more and will get a clearer picture of why ya'll take the decisions u do.

Most cats don't see things from a business point of view (strategically). Mzi ya'll have to school this cats. At the end of the day the mag need to make money so it remains on the shelves. Cats who undastand hip hop deeply are too few to keep Hype on the shelves if it where to concentrate on that type of market. Hence they gatta also cater for those who aint so deep into Hip Hop

MZI: I think AG need it's own Hype in depth editorial review with more details one reasons and Hypes direction. at least this cats will see hype from more than jus a mag buyer and Hopefully cats will undastand better and buy the mag. think about Mzi.
hawelution CC. The ultimate IT Solution.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Ya. One of the things I said I would do when I came in is put in more content cos heads wana read more. Unfortunately the size of the mag is dictated by the number of advertisers, At thi point, we can only do 80 pages because sales department hasnt really been selling alot of ad space. We had a meeting about this last week because I have so much to say but Im restricted to 80 pages. I feel the same way and Im doing what I can to reach at least 150 pages soon.

Album reviews are good this issue. Did you see the formula we applied? We gave separate ratings for categories:
eg:
Lyrical conten ****
Delivery ****
Production *
Overall

So you can see that the album has been listened to and broken down well. At least now you know what makes the album good or bad. If the MC is good and production is wack, you know what went wrong. Stay on top. How can we do it better though? Give a high hat rating too? A snare rating and all that. Ya Morales raps are dope. Nthabi is excellent.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Stone the Dave. Peace. I will post a rationale for each issue if you remind me. No ya, I will do it then.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
You know theres rappers who make a career out of observing high profile rappers just to gather up ammo to burn them. Like cats will tape every radio and TV interview and cop records just to play that footage over and over to catch them out. Then try come out with scripts to burn cats. Analytical cats. So if a dude makes a comment on MTV, you know you'll hear that in the diss track. Nucca u said this .... ha ha ha.

The "president of hip hop." Ya I said it playa. ha ha ha.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
hey mizi,,, thanks for taking the time out to post your thoughts.

just wanted to say that i haven't posted anything about this issue yet cause i'm broke and haven't bought one yet,,, not cause i'm boycotting it! :)

i'm definitely gonna cop it though,,, and will give honest feedback as always ;)

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Yo Dplanet. Those cape cats r holdin back your production money.  Rappers, give this man his dough so he can cop a copy. Ya man Il be waiting for your comments. Say what u must tho. I'll learn from it so we can build on what there is.

Forward ever...

SubTopic

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
where can i buy in ravensmead? do they sell at tygervalley centre?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
hahaha :)

i did catch a quick glimpse of ben sharpa's copy and it was looking good,,,

but yeah,,, i'll go through it cover to cover and give feedback.

good to see sharpa and middle finga getting some shine,,, much appreciated :)

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
MIZIYONKE FOR President.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
@Mizi i hope the cheque clears for all my hype men efforts...No pun intended :lol:
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!