Africasgateway.com

Cape Town gig

Uno. · 27 · 6096

king daniel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/danielinfluence
allow me to adopt the vantage point of an outsider looking in....seems i and i got blaxploited again. them use us for free shows and prosper while we walk to the train station scenario. this is largely the problem in mzantsi hiphop. there's no agents or reps/a&r's for these ppl to deal with and the artists put theyselves in an uncomfortable position by dealing with both excecuting the show and liasing with the events organisers on a personal level. in my view this doesn't work as it leaves you in the sad state of working for your friends. we all know that these competitions, battles of the years and whatnot is political. by this i mean the outcome is always predetermined. na matter which way you look at it. that's why this ting go keep recurring till we get more professional about our music and meet on a regular basis not to ciphe or battle but to strategise as to where we can take this movement collectivly to the next. bigups to etc crew i'm sure y'all holdin it down and whatknot . however in the bigger picture of tings we can all agree that these fellas are not what we can refer to as underprivleged. they could prolly get to copenhagen in a second without batting an eyelid while the rest of us got to do cash in transit heists just to win bread. and in terms of product to back me na remember seeing a cd or mp3 from this outfit. so if anyone has such a track please do me someting and upload that joint. me i'm listening to anonamystics at the moment. this is some dark ish from bergvliet word to gummy for putting me on.
like remember a case in point one night we was getting ready to rhyme and them gangsta bastas took us off the set on some 'this a strictly rasta bussiness we a deal with' bomborasclaat. that's how come we literally fighting tooth and nail in order for the same spaghetti dreads to give us airtime and platforms when in essence we been putting them on for a minute.that's why my favourite rhetorical question remains 'but is it art?'
when friends are dark days are few

whitenite

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djwhitenite
Ok...

bigups to nastie_ed for that post - its nice to see someone being objective for once. But there a few rumours floating around that i'd like to squash real quick and ill be on my way... Im not gonna bother quoting im sure you cats know wat im talkin about..

1.) None of the judges ever managed us. We've never had a manager. Our only affiliation with anyone in this show is that we knew Solomon  
(one of the organisers) on a personal level from a while back. He wasnt a judge but simply a middle man between copenhagen and here. He had
absolutely no say in the judges decision. The 3 actual judges we didnt know from a bar of SOAP! We had never met them and like the rest of
you, had no idea what they even looked like til AFTER the show when they came over to congratulate us and THATS MY WORD. They told us it was a completely UNANIMOUS decision and that we were what they were lookin for. They also werent too impressed at the lack of support we were
getting but i guess thats just the way it goes right... The bottom line is it was completely UNBIASED and im sick and tired of hearing this sh.. that it was a "setup." If it was set up for us then howcome writer's blocks connec in germany (coco) knew about this shit way before us????  ABSOLUTE NONSENSE

2.) UNO - dont know what you were talkin about with that visuals/camerman story - we dont have a cameraman. The only camera people there were PAID by the organisers to be there to film the show

3.) Endzi - you didnt snatch a mic from nobody. He put the mic down on the stage and then you picked it up - I've seen the footage

4.) King Daniel - If we could get to copenhagen in a sec we prolly wouldve done it by now homes. Im the only cat out of the crew that has ever left the COUNTRY - and best believe i worked my a** off... 2 of the other 3 cats have never even seen the inside of an airport before

I just wanna round off by sayin that we went to this comp with the same attitude as everybody else - we wanted to win. We put a lot of time
and effort into that 15 minutes and fortunately for us it paid off. We didnt enter this comp to cause drama but for the same reason as the
rest of the crews... To be honest, after seeing the crews before us i was nervous as f***. cats were ill. but we did our ish and it turned
out thats what the judges were lookin for. i have a lotta respect for a lotta crews in cape town and this doesnt change that...

I meant no disrespect to anybody mentioned above - I am simply setting the record straight

much love and respect to everybody, even those who chose to hate

oNE.
hite Nite - ETC Crew

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
@ Whitenite - That's very interesting. Thanks for coming on AG to put your point of view across.

I think people are making a big fuss over nothing. You guys self-evidently had what the judges were looking for (hence the reason they chose you).

I didn't hear the performance (although I was there), but KONFAB predicted you would win (after hearing your set). He didn't mention anything about a conspiracy, he just believed that your style was more accessible, and therefore more likely to please the ear of a non-Cape Town head (ie. the judges).

This whole situation raises a subject that often comes up in relation to Cape Town Hip Hop...

If you look at Cape Town Hip Hop as a brand, these are the negative attributes we have a**ociated with us: snobby, elitist, cliquey, abstract, disorganised, we overrate ourselves, underdeveloped, not club-friendly, esoteric, no business acumen,,, and last but not least, not supported by the people (ie, we can't attract crowds).

Obviously there are many good attributes too (anyone who knows me knows that I believe we have some world-cla** talent in Cape Town), but what I find disturbing is that we're so quick to hate on something that doesn't conform to our taste. The fact that we're all pointing fingers and shouting 'conspiracy' just goes to prove how narrow-minded we are, and how little self-awareness we have of our brand of Hip Hop and how it is perceived.

If you like grimy, esoteric, abstract, syllable-play,,, it's all good. Just don't be suprised if you don't win competitions, or don't sell-out shows, or don't get radio play,,, and definitely don't be suprised when cats doing something more accessible (Lungelo, Pappa Zee, Whitenite etc) get that shine.

We make the decision to be overtly anti-commercial (no one forces that on us). We must also live with the consequences of that decision and accept them graciously.

whitenite

• Guppie
    • View Profile
word up. very well said.
hite Nite - ETC Crew

KONFAB

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
what conspiracy?  :?
dunno anything abt it for all i know could be true don giv a f***... issue should really be: why are these outsider organisers coming to OUR scene, organising a gig through US, packing OUR night in the club with OUR people if they don't feel OUR shit... and don't even the decency to consider OUR judgment? of course i knew cats were gonna win they were candy as f*** and i HAD already heard what kind of judges they were... i'm not tryna get into a grimy esoteric abstract vs accessible rap discussion... i'm just saying that the crowd was disgruntled cos they didn't feel that shit deserved to win... there actually is a following limited as it may be (so what?) for this shit - call it elitist whatever... the point is that WE come to this place to get away from the superficial nonsense we're constantly being force fed through media... leave us the f*** alone if you're not feeling us, don't now come to our space and impose on us that very thing we tryna get away from
ttp://www.myspace.com/artikulatekonfab
http://www.myspace.com/writersblockcrew

the antePENultimate columnist with WRITERS BLOCK

whitenite

• Guppie
    • View Profile
it is what it is so cats can keep complaining or hook me up with some demos so that i can bump your shit in Denmark. They wanna hear SA hip hop up there and ill play whatever the f*** u give me so instead of throwing hate my way rather just throw a CD my way. I wont be surprised if i dont hear from ANYONE but the offer is on the table...

Ill put a proper post up when i got time.
in the mean time you can get me at djwhitenite@gmail.com

peace.
hite Nite - ETC Crew

3000 BC

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dplanet
@ Whitenite - That's very interesting. Thanks for coming on AG to put your point of view across.

I think people are making a big fuss over nothing. You guys self-evidently had what the judges were looking for (hence the reason they chose you).

that's all good and well D, provided the 'judges' were actually looking for winners but they weren't...

I was hosting that event and well, after the 6th performance, 'the judges' told my co-host that they already knew who the winners were and ...bear in mind that there were 10 crews competing that night so how could the judges know the results before 4 other crews performed...ETC didn't win because they had a dope perfomance, they 'won' because the results were pre-determined and because of their affiliations with the so called judges. PERIOD...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
obviously if it was all a set up with a pre-determined outcome, that's bad, i agree. that would be disrespectful to the audience and to the crews that participated.

what would have been the point of that though? If the judges already knew they wanted to chose ETC they could have just invited them to the show in Denmark,, why go through the trouble of organising a show?

3000 BC

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "whitenite"
Ok...
I just wanna round off by sayin that we went to this comp with the same attitude as everybody else - we wanted to win.

yeh..keep talking kid...the birds, they might b listening

by the way...i'm not hatin on ya'll, no reason to. Infact i'd have been minding my own business if you cats had won at all...perhaps i would have expressed that i would have prefered it is someone else won but i wouldn't bitch if the whole thing had not been a scam but it was...and unfortunately i happen to know that for a fact...so shoot me for telling the truth but i'm not the one to a**-kiss...anyone, ever, for anything...

so yall just have to deal...

3000 BC

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
obviously if it was all a set up with a pre-determined outcome, that's bad, i agree. that would be disrespectful to the audience and to the crews that participated.

what would have been the point of that though? If the judges already knew they wanted to chose ETC they could have just invited them to the show in Denmark,, why go through the trouble of organising a show?

i honestly don't have an answer to that question, i'm just telling what i know.

My guess is the Project Heartbeat or "Street 2 Street' is probably some gov oriented competition or something like that and obviously if the organisers needed sponsorship they would have to have a 'competition', and since they wanted ETC to win, then what best way to convince anybody that they did win excpet to orchestrate the whole thing and convince everyone else that they really won.

i don wan keep making a**umptions though but let's not forget that the project itself has certain objectives, in this case it would have been to scout for hip hop talent in South Africa, but that doesn't mean that they didn't already know who they would pick when they get to SA.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
ok,,, so now the question is, why did they want ECT to win?

If they were as bad as everyone says, what is the point of choosing them? Surely a promoter doesn't want an act that is no good at their show?

I'm not totally naive,,, i do realise nepotism goes on all the time,,, but this all sounds like a lot of ha**le to go through just to put your friends on.

whitenite

• Guppie
    • View Profile
purely conspiracy theory. bullshit. i said my piece and thats the truth.
hite Nite - ETC Crew