Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Industry people wanting free beats-Ever dealt with this

Vexer · 15 · 4176

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Hi.Just a situation I wanted to get ur views on.

I submitted a beat CD to Shameema of Godessa and she told me that she would like to use some of the beats however they don't pay for beats.

I a**umed bcoz she was quite established in the industry she would pay something at least for tracks she might want to use.

Was this a bad offer/deal or is it common in Hip-Hop for established groups to not pay for tracks.

I said I would get back to her but I didn't coz I didn't feel like it was a good deal for me.

She was cool though and she was definetely not arrogant or condescending and she also helped up my production game a bit.I learnt quite a lot from my interaction with her as well.

However, I wasn't comfortable with a free beat situation.

Have any of u guys been paid for beats by industry cats and if so how much or what were the terms?
I stay chiseled

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Dont sweat it man, that's just how shyt goes sometimes !

If you can't get the dough then try other ways to get compensated for your work,e.g.

Get a feature from them for your project,

Try and persuade them to use the track u produced for them as a single, (GREAT MARKETING FOR YOURSELF).

Or just make it clear that they owe you a favour and oneday you'll be back to collect. Might come in handy WHEN YOU NEED SOME SHYT.

Contrary to popular belief it aint all about the benjamins. Use opportunities like these to build up your profile.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
Quote from: "MrC"
Contrary to popular belief it aint all about the benjamins. Use opportunities like these to build up your profile.

MrC's industry rule #4099...Trademarked biatch :lol:

Nice pointer rite thurrrr

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
...or try to make sure you keep the mechanical rights to your track - make sure you're name is on the SAMRO forms so you get your royalties when it's played on radio - it's possible that could be worth more than what you could sell it for (depending on the artist and the beat).

In rare cases you might be able to negotiate the publishing rights too, but not many (established) artists will agree to that.

I only sell beats to record labels, not artists. That way I get to keep creative control of what happens on my beats, as well as the abililty to negotiate publishing and royalties with the artist.

Also,,, if you have a studio and the artist records with you, make sure you factor your production time into the deal.

but yeah,,, like mr. c said, use the opportunity for marketing yourself or make connections, we're in an embryonic industry so we all have to think like hustlers.

so yeah,,, free beats are not unusual - don't take it personal,,, i'm sure artists would love to be able to pay R20k a beat if they could, but the truth is most projects are made on a very tight budget.

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
All very good tips for sure.Nice pointers and I am in agreement right there with MrC.U gotta utilize opportunities and try and hustle for other ways of compensation and ways to get ur name out there via their project or what have u.

If u got a project coming out, get it in writing (if thats possible) that they'll feature on ur project.That's a good promo for ur project as they have built up a reputable name for themselves.The 'single' route might be pushing it a bit, but its a worthwhile try.U never quite know.

Another aspect is the SAMRO one that Dplanet pointed out.Get urself official and try and get some royalties from radio spins and perhaps tv spins.Also, the Dplanet route to selling to labels, thats a good one right there.Just get ur hustle on.Once u place ur first track on a good project, it makes things a little easier and u can start commanding a bit of ends, plus some publishing too......if things go well.Its all bout the hustle as Dplanet alluded to. :wink:
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks Thornz.Do u know any pieces that deal with producer deals in detail.
I stay chiseled

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Honestly Some producers really over charge and act arrigant when you request a beat, i should know I have been hustling some producers for a while and was willing to pay but they was beting around da Bush.

Once you got hype around you they are on some lets work tip, That Bull#hit dont work with me!

Explicit

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
Quote from: "Vexer"
Shameema of Godessa and she told me that she would like to use some of the beats however they don't pay for beats.

f***
u gonna get served if u dint make sure u own rights to the beats

don give the beat till dats sorted...........
i love getting freee beats but cats know
own ur beat i own my lyrics
then lets do this

Skivvy-G AKA Mic's Myth

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Dude, Its black & white.
I put it labour, gimme money. f***!!!
Its a lesson u teach toddlers.
The chichen bakes the f***ed bread alone, she eats alone
If u help her, u eat with her.
She cant come half way, once u made you dough, put it in the f***in oven, wait for the food & eat it alone...
Listen to Immotal Tech Revolutionary vol2 track 6
I make a beat, I get paid.
I dont go shoping, cook, put food on plate, put it in front of u
but not eat wit u.

I say f*** that I want my money, OR some compesation 4 my labour.
In the long run, its yo job, & regardless of yo age, u've  started yo career.
Y duznt she give u her lyricx and Vox 4 free so u can just use em...
f*** THAT :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
K4 - [Maqular Org Productions]

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
this is arguably the best thread i have read on the AG, umm besides deacs asian treats od course.
but on the real - you cant always get paid (face reality) especially when youre not yet recognized.
ask me , even with my photography its not always a paid job - so you have to trade up pictures for benefits.
The question is always whether the "benefits" are worth your time and effort.
you have a choice and you can always say NO if you dont want to do it.

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
its true that some so called hustler artists dont wat to pay for beats.
so i decided to get on wit my hustle with a different approach.
 i do this:

give artist a right to record on my beats for a hundred for a 100 bucks

make sure beats are registered with samro then negotiate with artist for rights transfer.

get a copy of the recorded track and promote it at local shows and community radio for my credit as producer.

C4

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
How daoes SOMRO's paying out of royalties work, detail any1? with figures, even ruff ones...

:?:  :?:  :?:
Tha High Explocive

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
So first you'll register with SAMRO, now even though you're registered with them you ARE NOT a full "member", you are a candidiate member.... you have to be a full "member" to get royalty checks. You become a full member by virtue of the fact that you are receiving regular play on radio stations and that the tracks played are registered with SAMRO. Thing is SAMRO isn't going to cut you a check for the 4 times your track got played on Upington regional radio, once your track's SAMRO number starts showing up on their tracking logs more than a certain number of times a week, they collate the play data and send you yo cash, thing is your cut for a single play is so small, you have to get serious rotation to generate any significant revenue from airplay, where SAMRO is most useful is as a prtotection of your copywrite.... so just in case sumbody tries some beat jacking shit, or accusses you of doing that, you go well my SAMRO number is this and all of these tracks were registered with them at this date, so you shit out of luck.
I've got no idea what their current figures are at the moment, but you can check out their site.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.