Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hype No.1 Unsigned MC-Morale-What?

Vexer · 135 · 32215

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I like that track of his on the Metro Top Ten. Dude hollered at me at Slaghuis and we bumped his mixtape in my whip, at first listen, i thought  it was dope. Don't know about the tracks on the hype CD though, wasn't feeling them that much.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
Top 5 will be back again and again. Ya theres talk of Morale getting ready to sign. I hope Hakeem, Maggz, Reason and Obita make moves too. When these guys actually cop deals, we will see if we were right or not.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "mizi."
Top 5 will be back again and again. Ya theres talk of Morale getting ready to sign. I hope Hakeem, Maggz, Reason and Obita make moves too. When these guys actually cop deals, we will see if we were right or not.

where are the top 5 based (geographically)?

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
My Top 5...

1) Me  8)
2) N-vay
3) Explicit
4) Middle Finga/Konfab, infact the whole Cape Town movement gets this spot
5) Donnie Brasco

Sduhla

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-2
    • View Profile
i HAVE FINISHED READIN THE NEW HYPE. MUCH PROPS TO MIZI FOR A DECENT JOB- A LOT HAS IMPROVED- SPELLIN, GRAMMAR, WIDER COVERAGE AND LAYOUT. HOWEVER I THINK THAT THE STANDARD OF THE MAG WILL REMAIN POOR TO REFLECT THE POOR LEVEL OF HIP HOP AS AN ARTFORM OUT HERE! THEINTERVIEW WIT K'NAAN WAS DOPE. HOWEVER, THE INTERVIEWS WIT LOCAL EMCEES MAKE ANYONE WIT GREY MATTER BETWEEN THEIR EARS CRINGE WIT EMBARa**MENT. CAPTAIN WHO BY THE WAY HAD ONE OF THE DOPEST TRACKS ON THE COMPILATION THINKS THAT HEGEMONY MEANS DOMINATION OF ONE CLa** BY ANOTHER. HEGEMONY IS A LINGUISTIC CATEGORY, NOT A CONCEPTUAL ONE. GRAMSCI CONCEPTUALISEDTHE WORD TO EXPLAIN CLa** RULE. I HAVE TO GO, MA BOSS IN BREATHIN DOWN MA NECK, BUT I WILL COMPLETE MA OBSERVATIONS AS SOON AS I GET THE CHANCE.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "Sduhla"
i HAVE FINISHED READIN THE NEW HYPE. MUCH PROPS TO MIZI FOR A DECENT JOB- A LOT HAS IMPROVED- SPELLIN, GRAMMAR, WIDER COVERAGE AND LAYOUT. HOWEVER I THINK THAT THE STANDARD OF THE MAG WILL REMAIN POOR TO REFLECT THE POOR LEVEL OF HIP HOP AS AN ARTFORM OUT HERE! THEINTERVIEW WIT K'NAAN WAS DOPE. HOWEVER, THE INTERVIEWS WIT LOCAL EMCEES MAKE ANYONE WIT GREY MATTER BETWEEN THEIR EARS CRINGE WIT EMBARa**MENT. CAPTAIN WHO BY THE WAY HAD ONE OF THE DOPEST TRACKS ON THE COMPILATION THINKS THAT HEGEMONY MEANS DOMINATION OF ONE CLa** BY ANOTHER. HEGEMONY IS A LINGUISTIC CATEGORY, NOT A CONCEPTUAL ONE. GRAMSCI CONCEPTUALISEDTHE WORD TO EXPLAIN CLa** RULE. I HAVE TO GO, MA BOSS IN BREATHIN DOWN MA NECK, BUT I WILL COMPLETE MA OBSERVATIONS AS SOON AS I GET THE CHANCE.

Come on Sduhla,,, with respect, anyone with access to a dictionary can see that 'hegemony' means, and i quote:

"leadership or dominance, esp. by one country or social group over others. ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Greek hegemonia, from hegemen ‘leader,’ from hegeisthai ‘to lead.’

Do you really think it is necessary to critique Ben Sharpa on those grounds? Even if you take Gramsci's definition (which we call all read on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemony) as opposed to the dictionary definition of the word itself, you could save yourself 'cringes of embara**ment' if you applied the concept of artistic license (common in most music) to Sharpa's work.

Even if you do apply Gramsci's theory, Sharpa's track is clearly a critique of how dominant groups or individuals ('hegemons') in South Africa maintain their power through either the police of private security firms.

Why are you soon hell-bent on knocking local artists? I would be interested to hear your opinion on how Papoose (or actually any rapper you choose to cite), gives more cogent political commentary.

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
what astounds me is why people think that by getting validation from hype/ any other publication in a top 5 list then they are necessarily as good as they are said to be... i recall people arguing on AG a month or so ago that these publications misrepresent "true" south african hip hop... just my 2 cents worth (use it don't use it)
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Sduhla"
CAPTAIN WHO BY THE WAY HAD ONE OF THE DOPEST TRACKS ON THE COMPILATION THINKS THAT HEGEMONY MEANS DOMINATION OF ONE CLa** BY ANOTHER. HEGEMONY IS A LINGUISTIC CATEGORY, NOT A CONCEPTUAL ONE.

as kaptin uses hegemony in much the same way as the foremost thinker of our time naom chomsky and others. i suspect that ur archaic interpretaion of the usage of the word is spurious @ best :wink:
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "afterbirth"
what astounds me is why people think that by getting validation from hype/ any other publication in a top 5 list then they are necessarily as good as they are said to be... i recall people arguing on AG a month or so ago that these publications misrepresent "true" south african hip hop... just my 2 cents worth (use it don't use it)

i agree,,, however, now that hype has someone in charge who actually knows something about hip hop, i would say that their opinion has gained weight. at least 20,000 people read hype and they do have some influence in the market.

for example, it's much easier for me to go to Gallo and push a deal for my artist if i can say they were listed as no.1 'unsigned hype' in hype mag. same goes for top 10s on radio stations,,, it's totally arbitrary, but media is power and influence.

T

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Ok Darklight here in Jozi we want to hear mo of the Cape se Flavour.when r cats going to bring stuff up or even post it for us to download?2005/6 was dominated by Maftown & Gauteng emcees when will Cape Town emcees take the scene by storm.what is needed 4m ur opinion?

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
i honestly dont believe in media hype.

morale's hustle got him a spot on da mag and i think if ppl have a "prob"
they should talk about it.
but me personally thats another hustlin mc gettin what he deserves.
THE FRUITS OF HIS HUSTLE.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "T"
Ok Darklight here in Jozi we want to hear mo of the Cape se Flavour.when r cats going to bring stuff up or even post it for us to download?2005/6 was dominated by Maftown & Gauteng emcees when will Cape Town emcees take the scene by storm.what is needed 4m ur opinion?

just go through the forums and check out myspace,,, there's plenty of Cape Town music available

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Ayo the title says MCS THAT A COMPANY SHOULD SIGN, let’s be honest as dope as I think that Konfab and Ben Sharpa are if I had a record company I would not sign them.Remember a record company is about making money and I don’t see a lot of people feeling Konfab and Ben Sharpa besides TRUE HIP HOP HEADS, they are way to deep.
And about Morale I think he deserves that number1 spot like Ludacris, I’m just f***in glad that there are swagger rappers in SA I mean I can’t relate to all that Ekasi shit coz I don’t know that life.
Shit Morale is talking bout his life, I mean he’s talking Evisu jeans and Bathing Ape and trust me he realy rocks that shit.
I mean the nigga is is talking bout his homie driven an Astra and A3, he ain’t talking bout f***in Hummers and Lincoln Navigators, I mean I relate more to Morale than MOST VENAC rappers coz I don’t even understand them niggaz.
Shit and most rappers can’t even double rhyme and Morale has mastered that shit, he does it on every muthf***in track.
 so yeah he is lyrical.
Personally my Top 5 unsigned hypes are:
1 Morale( Swagger to die for)
2 Mawe-2( although he ain’t gone appeal to a wide audience, you jus gotta love this nigga,)
3 Explicit( Damn nigga done paid his dues, and I’m feelin his shit I been hearin on da Essence)
4 Navio( Now this nigga brings dope lyrics to commercial beats)
5 Seida Crook( What the f*** is up with him these days anyway)
9 tha Pedigree

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
Quote from: "French Toaster"
Remember a record company is about making money

You couldn't of said it better...

That's the aspect most peeps forget, look at it this way, I couldn't give ten shit logs if Morale is wearing/driving/f***ing... whatever he's rapping about, he could suck major a** in the lyrical department but 'Commercial Hip Hop' will always attract an audience/fanbase quicker than 'Real Hip Hop' and this is always what Record labels look for, the fastest way to make shitloads off of music...

However, you could still sign heads like Konfab, Sharpa etc, and have some of their tracks have a commercial feel to it, their's might even overpower a commercial artists due to their sick lyrics (you'll never know) and you could still have 'Real Hip Hop' on their albums aswell...

Good examples of this would be 50 Cent (talking the normal bitches, money, cars, ho's, gangsta shit) on one side and Nas (one mic, cons. hip hop) on the other...

Same as having Morale on one side and Konfab on the other...

At the end of the day it's how much fans you attracting, how much units you sold and how much money you bringing to whatever label it is...

And that my friends IS the music 'INDUSTRY'  :twisted:

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Stone's Top 5 MC's....in no particular order:

1.) Mr Stone
2.) The Madd one
3.) MaddStone
4.) Myself
5.) That Fella Stone

Disclaimer:
The views of the poster, i.e. "Stone's Top 5 MC's", are not necessarily the views shared by the world.The disclaimer shares none of the views of the poster.The disclaimer hopes that disclaims everything.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac