Africasgateway.com

Big Concerts Dont pay local artists

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
this is deep.

question: is it specifically hip hop acts that arent getting paid. or is it across the board. and then also when artists have put forth their bill have the been turned down. and swopped for more 'agreeable' acts. and then. what exactly does the a**ociation for musicians do. where are they when issues like this come up. is there no recourse for artists. is big concerts not answerable. and to whom. where is the department of arts and culture. i mean is this not serious.

the fine line between doing what you have to do. and like letting the side down. (artists who make it difficult by undercutting the integrity and growth of the industry by not demanding payment).
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Sunshine"
---explicit---that stuff's serious...
can u get more concrete proof... ???

isnt this the kind of stuff HYPE can investigate?

I wish I could, The guy who told me about this, said he wants to stay out and his name must not be used. Its also a matter of speaking to artists, When I run into Tumi next tym I will bring up the subject, since he did perform at BEP, the first concert. Also I want you to know all these dudes are connected in the industry so they pull strings all the tym. The dude that is now the manger or sumthing big at "Big concerts" used to be the station manager of 5-fm, so it seems he still has his contacts since 5-fm sponsors these concerts.

Explicit

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: "BHLAKHROZE"
this is deep.

question: is it specifically hip hop acts that arent getting paid. or is it across the board. and then also when artists have put forth their bill have the been turned down. and swopped for more 'agreeable' acts. and then. what exactly does the a**ociation for musicians do. where are they when issues like this come up. is there no recourse for artists. is big concerts not answerable. and to whom. where is the department of arts and culture. i mean is this not serious.

the fine line between doing what you have to do. and like letting the side down. (artists who make it difficult by undercutting the integrity and growth of the industry by not demanding payment).

I wish my 4-11 was that deep all I know is they dont pay local artists

Explicit

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
:(  :evil:
A year ago, I recall hearing hearing MXO say he wont do any "platform" gigs anymore. These are gigs where an artsist is supposedly given a "platform" to perform to  a big audience ,bla blah blah without any payment.  I applauded him for that. Promoters make money. No reason artsist should perform for free. There is nothing for Mahala.

Big ups to Draztik for taking such a stand.

guess it depends on your status as well. If you are Kabelo, you dont gain much from opening for Jigga. Half the country knows you. But if you are a new rap group, you have to do with "platform" gigs.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I heard last night on the Essence that, Skwatta Kamp is also taking this stand aginst no payment. Its a Matter of time until Big Concerts will realise tht they are in the wrong.

Explicit

N.A 187

• GUNTLK ENT presents
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-11
  • Native "187" a**asin
    • View Profile
    • "Murder he wrote"
Now that there is sum madshit.....mu'f***en promoters keep saying we copy U.S material and aint putting S.A on the map...but how we pose to get  respect when they make local acts feel inferior by not breaking bread with them or giving them a proper platform to shyne..

We need to set shit straight and have heads managing gigs...FFFFf*** da man in a suit.

www.soundclick.com/nativea**asin

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
due i was checkin out a article on XXL regarding 50'international events manager and guess what?

50 cent highest paid show was in south africa.

in europe he was paid R 3 500 000 to perform fo 30 minutes.

how long did he perform in S.A?

how much do u think he got paid?

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Is it not the case that the market dynamics may be against the SA artists?

If there are enough hungry artists willing to use unpaid 'platform' then those who insist on payment will lose out.

there would have to be a more consistent campaign to unite all artists against this. well, all worthwhile artists... the kinds of artists who would be used for opening

Skivvy-G AKA Mic's Myth

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Son of a bitch... That sux. I stand wit Xpicit & any1 else for the cause... Neva. I want my money. I gotta eat & gotta live. We all gotta eat & gotta live. Thanx Draztic 4 shedding light on the issue. f*** that!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

There is money out there that should be ours, & sum1 else is eating it all. I'll molotov coctail their houses
K4 - [Maqular Org Productions]

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Yeah skwatta said it on The essence that, what is 10grand in rands compared to Jay or 5o's half a mill for a show. We have got to stand as artists and not let companys play us like hoes, freebeezzzzzzzzz dont come in this industry!.

We should be seen as professionals at what we do no matter what our style is!

Explicit

Skivvy-G AKA Mic's Myth

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Heir Heir. But will it work wen there's sum ppl that cudnt care less & will perform anyway. Jsut so by the way we aint been paid 4 a performance yet... But we aint done 1 where there's a chance of payment.
Basically gigs like Girl High Spring Fare & shit. No money bra.

I'm jsut wondering coz there is a need in erry mc's carrer to do free gigs 4 exposure, & what better exposure than opeining 4 Jigga of 50. Thats big tym exposure so duz it make sense? I can see how organisers & whoever can manipulate sum ppl to do it...
K4 - [Maqular Org Productions]

Draztik

• Producer - CEO
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • Unreleased Records
Damn, not trying to funny, but guys some of ya'll slang is hard to understand, but anyways i hear your point.

BUT ....for as long as the artists with albums and those that  have some kinda of recognition dont take this stance it will never change, Big Concerts usually only asks established perfomers to perform. So if they want to use upcoming artists thats still fine, but the artists who have decided to make a living off of this wont be stepping up to the batters plate without getting the same respect they give international artists. Its a art as well as a job, people pay to be entertained so some of that cheese should support local Entrepreneurship. I mean damn, why does it gotta different in SA.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
there's really no argument - they gotta pay.

BUT,,, we only get treated how we allow ourselves to be treated. If the more established artists refuse to perform for free, Big Concerts will be left with untried newcomers (who are willing to perform for free to get the exposure). This is risky for Big Concerts because stage warmers are important - it's part of the show that people are paying money to see.

I can understand the temptation to perform for free, but even up and coming cats should resist it. It brings down the whole industry. If you believe in yourself and you have any self-respect you just shouldn't do it (unless it's for charity or for a friend).

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Quote from: "explicit"
Yo from what I have heard "Big Concerts" dont pay the local artists to be opening acts at the concerts. I dont know to what extent this is true but I do believe that this shit is happening. Honestly I dont think Kabelo was chosen by Jay-z as was said  by the dude from big concerts who was interviewed by Kamza on The Essence.  dont get it twisted im no trying to start some shit up in here I just want clarity on the issue, Because then it would explain why we dont have hip-hop acts at Hip-hop concerts. so if anyone got the 4-11 on this issue speak out about the matter and stand up for the rights of hip-hop acts, I am no ones Crash Dummy for Big acts.

Explicit

i feel u dog! its like this! BIG CONCERTS dont know shit about hiphop! but they definitely know about makin money! it sucks taht they dont get hiphop artists to open up! but at the same time! our hiphop artists cant sell out a show as the headline act, so BIG CONCERTS think!!!hmmm, how do we maximize on ticket sales? WE GET SOMEONE WHO CAN PACK A SHOW ALONE!!!

then they look at maybe Skwatta Kamp! then its no other options but KAbelo, Bongo Maffin,Mafikizolo,hahaha! which is f***ng rediculous, but thats business!

lets get our act together and show em that we CAN! it must be a matter of making hiphop acts so big,its a no brainer for big concerts to hunt for us!

But they should be more open minded by giving the likes of proverb,tumi,prokid more shine at these gigs cos theyre holding it down right now! not as much as they should, but they are what we have,to present to the world right now!!!!

u dig!
jus sayin!
@cash_sog