Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

what do i need for quality beats?

· 11 · 3300

Anonymous

yo ive been messin around with fruity loops for a while, but what do u guys use to make really bangin beats. should i stick with software or go out and buy a groove box/drum machine. and if i stick to software, what do i need for gettin samples?

im tryin to get real serious in this, ill do whatever it takes

SpogOne

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
spog is giving fruityloops lessons to all interested. if u female, i want a**(but u have to fit the bill). if u male, cash will do.

holla
8-)
++SpogOne IS PLEASED WITH HIS OWN AMBITION++
ne was blunted on arrival
focused on survival
so he embraced the retro
all tha bitches called him tribal
now they wanna read his palms
and study with him tha bible

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo

Software Options
If you´re looking to only use software, some good programs available that you can definitely get free are:

Modplug tracker this is free and u can use it to sequence play, record and compose your melodies very helpfull, very hard to Master!! But hey if i can use it.... U  Cant Theres Only One Nyambz:-Y !!
The Brave can Get It free at www.modplug.com , if u´r impatient in nature stay away from this!!

Fruityloops 4.0 - This would be the heart of the setup, program drums, arrange, sequence, etc., etc.
NOTE : Do NOT use standard sounds that come with this program, they are garbage, plus half the country´s usin em

Cool Edit Pro 2.0/2.55 - This would be the mastering, filtering, effects tool to use. A lot of options on this one, compression, Equalizer, lots of stuff. Good to EQ drums after sampling.

Soundforge 7.0 - Second program for effects, EQing, Compression. This has a "Smooth/Enhance" function that works exceptionally well for ba** lines. It has a lot of the same features as Cool Edit, but this is good to have as well.

Acid Pro 4.0 - This could be use to sequence and arrange as well if you do not want to use Fruity Loops. Has a nice function of finding the tempo of a sample.

WinMX/KazaA/Audio Galaxy/CD´s - Use this to sample. Download old Soul/Funk/Rock/Jazz songs, or anything that you want.

That is all you need for a beginner software setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware Options
Depending on what you do, hardware can be much more costly than a software setup. If you´re smart, you can still keep it cheap.

Keyboards
Korg Triton - Most used keyboard in the hip-hop industry today. Very professional piece of equipment. This is a complete workstation so it includes sequencing, and other functions that a regular keyboard doesn´t have.

Yamaha Motif - Comes in 6, 7, 8 (Number of keys). Similar to the Korg Triton. Nice sound bank. Is a workstation so includes sequencing and sampling functions.

Evolution Midi Controlllers are also pretty sick!! I use One so i can vouch 4 dis!! Its affordable

Drum Machines
The main setup for this would be one of the Akai MPC series. These are (Listed by release date):

Primo uses an MPC60 Thas way before my time

Dj Lord Ron Uses an MPC100

MPC2000 - This is good, not too expensive anymore, but this has the most problems with the OS. There are upgrades but still almost not worth getting. Only get this if you can get it cheap. (Less than R4200)

MPC3000 - This is good, but quite pricey. The MPC3000 is more stable than the 2000 but is more expensive. Not the best MPC deal. Avg. Price : R13 ,200

MPC2000XL - This is probably the best deal to go for an MPC. This is much more stable than the MPC2000 and less costly than the 3000. Avg. Price : R9,500

MPC4000 - This is brand new, top of the line MPC. This comes with A LOT of new features. Grid sequencing like Fruity Loops, CD Burner, etc. All the past MPC models work with Floppy Disks but the 4000 is capable of loading off CD-Rs. Avg. Price : R21,500.

U could also consider hustling for sumthin in the EMU SP12-1200 series

Virtually

u can get Tu2 Phrase sampler its free an u can get it at www.brambos.com - I USe This and hAve U heard my Drumz B4
;-)  x0

Alesis ASR-10 - A workstation that combines keyboard and sampling capabilities. Can be used like a midi controller, but has sampling, sequencing, and other workstation functions. This is much like an MPC, but has keys instead of pads.

Turntable(s) - Use these to sample from old vinyl off of. You only need one to sample and it can be a crappy one from a thrift store, if you get two you can practice DJ´ing as well. Remember if u dont have a mixer dont plug your decks in an additional power source e.g amp, u´ll get an unclear recording

If u want Decks for dj,ing i suggest getting direct drive decks, avoid belt driven ones coz the belts get loose which slows down the release time!! Technics and Vestax decks are the most used decks in hiphop! If u rock Nu-marks get anything above the tt100 range i think  the tt200´s are direct drive!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Setup
Rather than just getting a keyboard, I will explain the cheapest/best setup you can get. (In my opinion.)

Roland JV-1010 Sound Module - This half-rack mount module will supply ALL the sounds for your keyboard. This has over 1,000 sounds and is probably the most economical keyboard. Average price sells new for $400.00. This keyboard is the lowest model in the Roland JV/XP series but is still high quality. The only difference between these models are the expansion boards that come with the higher models. The expansion boards include symphonic & dance boards.

E-mu Mo Phatt - Popular in the hip-hop production scene. Well known for this nice drum kit and ba**es. Not much in the way of instruments and synths, most commonly used for the drums.

Midi Controller - This can be any keyboard you have now, or you can buy one for cheap (R900-5000). This will act as the keyboard device. A Midi Controller is a keyboard with blank keys. It comes with no sounds and is to be used with a sound module.

Midi Cables - These are pricey for just being cables (R120-R240). There are a few different options of hooking up your keyboard to a computer. If your sound card has Midi-in ports (Soundblaster Live does) then you need to get standard midi cables. If you´re sound card doesn´t have a Midi-in port, you need a midi-to-joystick port. All sound cards since the late ´80s have a joystick port in which midi-to-joystick port works.

You will need software to sequence with this setup because you are running it into your computer and the module has no sequencer. Cubase VST - Midi software. Sequencing, effects, plug-ins. One of the best MIDI programs available.

Acid Pro 4.0 - You can use this to record your playing and save it as .wav or mp3 files. U can use this to sequence your beats!! This is a very handy loop based Programe!! I Use This :-D  
Reason 1.0/2.5 - Lots Of Cats Locally are jumping on the reason band waggon, its pretty easy to operate, personally not my style but hey, thas just me!!!

Cubase sx - IS sumthing i havent quite used but its pretty simple to use, just take your time dont rush it!!! I think Battle Cat uses this

Nyambz Has Spoken

8-)
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

niqnak

• View Profile
    • http://
well now that ive registered...

thanks a lot nyambz for the info, i really appreciate it. ill be getting a new computer and whatever im gonna be using for makin beats with xmas money, in the meantime ill just practice with the diff software so i know what i want to get.

im kinda confused on a few things tho.. since im really new to all this im not sure of the reason behind all the hardware and stuff, is there anyway i could talk to u one on one nyambz, cus u seem to really know ur shit

[ This message was edited by: niqnak on 04-12-2003 10:02 ]

[ This message was edited by: niqnak on 04-12-2003 10:22 ]

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
0832451999 Like What
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Thornz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-22
    • View Profile
i need beatz like hell bro, but shi man i cant get no one 2 do it 4 me... nigz is too xpensive, n tha only $ i got is 2 buy bread ha ha..

but i´mo check tha fruitloops out, this otha dude say he gona do ma beats 4 free.. (see he doin his stuff at home)

ethyOne

• View Profile
    • http://www.freshbreeze.org
"U could also consider hustling for sumthin in the EMU SP12-1200 series"

THink SP-1200 Is daamn expensive man... lost hope if you arent rich.
-But also, its heavy nice!

-buthey, Ive got this sound suddenly poppin´ up in my Mixer, its an constant "CRRRRRRRR" downlow under the vynil i´m playin. Ive checked the cables n shit, but nothings gaddamn work.

Any ideas?
ww.freshbreeze.org - Keep it freshhhh

Anonymous

is it something rattling? or a sound in the headphones?, if it´s a sound in the speakers or headphones I suggest taking a look at the Needle, or head shell

SILENCE

tekpot

• View Profile
Nyambz broke it down real good.  i use mostly hardware. motif es6, roland xp-80, planet phtt, mp7, novation, korg etc...  but when  recording sounds, its always best to track through
nice pre-amps. avalon, universal audio, presonus, focusrite,ect...
having a nice sound card is also very important if recording on computers.
these are some of the things i use in my studio.
you could check out samples of my sound at WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/TEKPOT
have fun in the lab
                            one-tekpot

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
me personly i just use reason. Nothing else. When i get the cash im gonna get me self a keyboard.
Iv used fruity and i sometimes use it to apply some vsti´s to my samples. But thats very rarely. Fruity is good non the less, u just need to find the program your most comfortable wit. Ill move to hardware if, and only if i see myself getting better at this beat game:)