Africasgateway.com

HYPE's Regional KINGS

mizi. · 123 · 37893

deePea

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "kingdavid"
in these  part of the world there is only two people who deserve the title and that s my nigga BONGI-SHOESHA and FARRAGO

Yeah !! Why??????? -- S'funu kwazi!!!
amiliarity breeds contempt
Perigo Minas Volume 2 OUT Now!!!
Landmynz Bitch

Illement

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/meta_4
its probably gonna sound arrogant & egotistical but 4 PE n maybe 2 a lesser extent META4 got it locked.

and cats can ask anyone  in the know : "Rap Scalyon"; Rushay; Mugabe even ASD knows that the title can and should only sit with one crew.

Hit the site: www.freewebs.com/meta_4 make up your own mind

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
ok Mizi...
i take it you understand that HIPHOP is a multi-faceted urban phenomenon, and there is no ONE element that defines it or towers above another in defining it.

if that is in order. i'd like to pose the following question:

WHEN YOU MAKE REFERENCE TO THE "REGIONAL KING", ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE TOP DAWG IN EMCEEING, TURNTABLISM, B-BOYING, STREET FASHION, STREET ENTREPRENEURIALISM, BEATBOXING, GRAFFITI OR STREET SLANGUAGE..???

just asking...
The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

Illement

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/meta_4
Quote from: "mizi."
Please tell me moe about these cats.

Basicallly Meta4 is 2 cats: SyKotiQ Illement & Catalyst. Been hustling strong in PE since 2005. we launched our first EP in May n our first LP"The Outcome" in AUgust. on that project we had a couple of local acts luyk JBux & Hishaam n produced the majority of it ourselves with some beats from IQ , Beatology,and Siya.

we've since been  workin on our album with IQ as a major producer an we been also workin on solo production projects. weve produced for a lot of PE cats e.g. Dangatye , Odee slash, Mzo, 100 % Blaq etc.

Defdinitely very bi contenders for regional kings with their own studio with at least 100 tracks produced, recorded n engineered ny these 2 in the last year.

check this thread http://africasgateway.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15330

and our myspace http://www.myspace.com/meta4our
and our website http://www.freewebs.com/meta_4

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za

WHEN YOU MAKE REFERENCE TO THE "REGIONAL KING", ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE TOP DAWG IN EMCEEING, TURNTABLISM, B-BOYING, STREET FASHION, STREET ENTREPRENEURIALISM, BEATBOXING, GRAFFITI OR STREET SLANGUAGE..???

Yes hip hop is a multi-faceted urban phenomenon. A king, I guess, is the hip hop icon of a specific area. It could be anybody representing any part of hip hop. You do know, however, that the hip hop front man is the MC, making the MC the most prominent hip hop icon. So far, we only have MCs and crews on the list bacause that is the info we have gathered from around the country.

Just got the Meta4 myspace addy. Wil check it out

glakto

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
hmmmm... cape town i'd consider konfab + gini grindith eish and jozi it has to be golden shuvel :? er i dnt knw where tumi is from BT HE TAKES DA CAKE 4me tjo maybe thats why hes so PHat :lol:
HE MORE EMOTION I PUT INTO IT THE HARDER I ROCK

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
oK, FIRST THINGS FIRST.
bloem's top representative ( note how I didn't say King , because some people are such f***in idiots that they would gop and try to turn the thread into a feminist convention) would have to be Kulax.

I'd like to write the article if you would allow it Mizi, boy is a friend of mine and I am a much better writer than anyone currently employed at Hype (this is a fact, so just accept it and carry on reading)

Kulax has production credits on almost every single person in Bloem's albums, plus his own shit is fire. He's not bad on the mic either, actually he's very good on the mic.

A close second for Bloem would be Ricky, who is responsible for the Musclebomber album along with Snazz the Dictator. Rumour has it that he has hooked up with the boys from Def Jux, so expect to hear big things from this boy.

N.A 187

• GUNTLK ENT presents
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-11
  • Native "187" a**asin
    • View Profile
    • "Murder he wrote"
PTA- Hakeem
JHB- 3rd world riders
VaaL- Alfa
KZN- KZN LIQUID
CT- konfab

this is gonna be a hard one MIZI, good luck kid. dont get shot for it

Sduhla

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-2
    • View Profile
Wut it do 187 a**asin. U saved me from pointin out the most obvious fact that 3WR are the coldest cats in Mzanzi hip hop. Why is everyone actin like they forgot this fact! Only problem is the promo we were promised last year. Could we please get that.

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
some random thoughts

Maybe we should have regional kings (and put all these artsists mentioned for the various areas). My request is to place Tumi & Ben Sharpa on a level higher than everyone else. maybe confer them the title "Kings of SA" or something.

Durban - EWOK -this white kid has represented KZN in hip hop battles & brought back the crown as the best emcee in the land (Hip Hop Indaba 2004). He has received critical acclaim in potery circles as well (Urban Voices, Poetry Africa). He is probably one of the most well known emcess in Durban amongst DBN residents (not just amongst headez). His crew Illuminating shadows is also well known and has a following troughout DBN.

Big Idea could also be considered as kings - but they've been tgethor for a short period as a group to really garner a big following and be well known. The Ghetto Prophecy Movement is probably more respected and popular in Durban (just like the Big idea, they are not pure hip hop - live band plays jazz, regggae and other sounds. San - their lead member has been singing and rapping for ages) Perharps the only band that has "hit songs" amongst locals. They can attract reasonable audiences where most people know the songs and appear like a big band.

In KZN, you can also onsider Blackfist of Garvey (Keith's band) - One of the best bands in SA fronted by one of the best emcees. in another world, Keith & the band would have been like the Jimi hendrix experience / Public Enemy & attained superstardom. These guys are probably in the same league as Tumi & the Volume but without the exposure. They have conquered everything there is to be conquered in KZN - Flux, Awesome Africa, own gigs in venues across DBN. Household names. (BTW I dont know whether these gusys are still around, though).

There is also the nymphonic bastards in Durban - a motley crew of 7 or so emcees that include some of Durbna's most well known/ illest aemcees - SAN from GPM, bullet (one of the best freestylers & battle emcees), Blaq, Seven Lox, etc. problem is their style can get over many people's heads at times - just like those cape cats - writers block,archetypes,etc. Their second EP (destruction Design/Krust 2) is banging nonetheless & is mixed by Durban's Finest (no not Tira & Sox - but DJ Papercut. He now goes by Pay-per-Cut). I hear his birthday party will see him being reborn as P-Kattuh or something like that) If you in DBN check that out (i think it will be in Skybar this weekend or next weekend)..

+ Nkayiso of Izimbongi in DBN has done more for KZn hip hop than anyone else - regular shows (MIC Check back in the days ) a compilation CD of DBN ish, bringing Jsec cats, media coverage, etc. + with Nstika - Inqaba, radio slots, True activists.  

Eastern Cape - Abantu is probably the illest cat I've heard from the Eastern Cape. lousy Living (LI, nqo & all those cats) also tight. Izithunywa Zohlanaga are just in adifferent league - they have taken hip hop much closer to the people and yet their style is so advanced. I just wonder why local/community radio stations & umhlobo Wenene are not bumping their ish. It's got a local appeal yet still real hip hop. their lyrical content is mind boggling.

+ I'm sure we all know JBux by now. Everyone seems to respect him in the PE area.

I have not listened to dangatye & all these other cats. big problem in SA hip hop. you can be the king of your hood and yet no one has even heard about you elsewhere. Everyone is like Dangatye is the illest cat around & you like who the hell is that. the music is not circulating far & wide.

Cape Town
Konfab (writers Block), middle finga, middle finga aka rhamcwa, maniacs (Rattex, Sketch & them) , Goddessa + Endzi's album rocks.  
Would go for Ben Sharpa though (in case he is not procalimed king of SA alongside Tumi). Sharpa should rhyme over morer accessible beats though - some boom bap shit. he can get over the average heads' head. I think this is what Tumi will get with his latest album - a wider audience.
+ BVK & Ready D. Who has driemanskap + illeterate Skill joints so we can hear wether they are worth the props they get.

POC should also be declared Kings of SA. one of the pioneers.  

Jozi
@ the end of the day it's your call Mizi (togethor with your team hopefully)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Just to add to Ben Sharpa's list of credentials:

- Ben Sharpa featured on the first ever UK/ SA Grime/ Hip Hop collaboration ('My People') with True Tiger's* Purple Simba & Shyam.

- 'My People' is currently being played by BBC1 Xtra's Cameo, Ras Kwame & Semtex.

- BBC Radio 1's Mary Anne Hobbs played 'Hegemony' by Ben Sharpa on her show last week.

(*True Tiger just won two BBC1 Xtra Mixtape Awards for 'Eye of the Tiger Vol.1).

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Gauteng is a different story altogethor. too many styles in different regions. For instance, I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned cats like Ngwenya, Bhubesi, Vikinduku, First born, etc. These cats are mad tight but mainstream Jozi will show no love. topo much of a venec vs eglish thing. Again no one seems to notice underground crews like Digital philosophers, head rock, audio visual, etc. and everyone seems to hate the commercial/kwaito-ish artists -  Township Frequency, Skwatta Kamp, Jozi, Hidden Force, H20, etc. thinking about it Skwatta probably has received more accolades than any rap group in SA (barring POC) across commercial and underground circles. they have arguably had more commercial success than any other SA group (i.e a gold and a platinum album, SAMA awards, probably more hits & radio airplay than any SA rap group & easily the most recognisable rap group in SA) + slikour's business acumen adds a dimesnion often missing in SA hip hop. these guys have propbably done more than most will ever do to popularise hip hop & to ensure that hip hop gets airplay & is taken seriouly by recording companies, the media, etc. of course giving them the title would create a huge uproar amongst hip hop purists.

kingdavid

• AG Regular
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
rustenburg

farrago

bongi-shoesha

why

these are cats who got the streets of rustenburg on lockdown as far as skills,hustle and vibrant performance is concerned.

also featured on the rhythm and street poetry mixtape

farrago also released an e.p on the 20th of dec 2006.

by listening to the e.p you will realise he is no chancer.

deePea

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Sduhla"
Only problem is the promo we were promised last year. Could we please get that.

The EP will be uploaded by end of this week.
amiliarity breeds contempt
Perigo Minas Volume 2 OUT Now!!!
Landmynz Bitch