Bad Blood, Blood Diamonds & Why I Disagree w/ Russell

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Maybe thats' why Nas didn't sign to Def Jam when Russell was still in cntrol coz he totally disagrees with Russells Stance on the issue.
 Nas is on the soundtrack  for Blood Diamonds and this is what he had to say at the premiere of teh movie last friday:

NAS, RAPPER/ HIP- HOP ARTIST WHO SANG SONG ON
SOUNDTRACK AGAINST RAPPERS WEARING BLOOD DIAMONDS AND  'BLING BLING' CULTURE,
SAYING:
   "All of us in the rap game that come from communities that I come
from this is our thing. We wear jewellery its out natural  thing to wear
jewellery you know. A lot of us don't know why the story is not told and
behind the jewellery. We want to know, we want to figure this out, this the
perfect time this movie is the perfect thing to get that message out."

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
There's a wonderful awakening happening in hollywood. maybe its just a fad but I think there are actors and producers who give a phuck about whats' happening in the world and realise how easy it is to use mainsteam media to put a spolight on these issues and are actually doing it.

It also matters what angles they tackle these issues from of course and Obviously its far from solving a lot of the issues that plague our planet, our people, us, but its a start and anything that will make people not directly affected by these issues give a f*** and do something is enough. Just to trigger empathy and to get peeps to start caring, to start asking questions, to start thinking differently.

watch out for Blood Diamond, it drops in February I think. Also check out a movie starring Lucy Liu and our own Ian Roberts in a movie about AIDS in diff parts of teh continent its called 3 Needles, another movie with Forrest Withaker (sp) called Last King of Scotland.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Interesting read.

Good move by the de Beers big wigs to invite Russell over.

But honestly I think his "fact-finding" mission was highly biased. I take it de Beers execs took Russell around showing him their flagship plants & processes then after that took him to Moloko (true story) to party with the "locals". Hardly seems comprehensive to me.

If the movie is about Sierra Leonne/ Angola diamond trade then why didn't he go there?
All due respect but I do not think Africans (white or black) have as big a stake in de Beers balance sheet as implied by the statement about diamonds benefiting Africans directly.

Tis all window dressing. Poverty still reigns in SA and 30% of the population still owns 90% of the wealth.
Sierra Leonne is still siffering the aftermath of the civil war & best believe blood diamonds are still being mined in Sierra Leonne & Angola.

Its a shame that the world had to wait until a popular movie came out about the issue to start debating & giving a damn. F*ck the media for wasting the minds of the world with nonsensical bullsh*t like reality TV.

Russell's statement is great for the diamond business but does NOTHING for the average African on the land which the diamonds come from.

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Naturelle"
Last King of Scotland.

this is the funniest book i've ever read. idi amin referred to himself as:

"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular. the Last King of Scotland"

can't wait for the movie to drop...  forest whitaker's getting an oscar for this one! :wink: [/b]
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Quote from: "Naturelle"
watch out for Blood Diamond, it drops in February I think. Also check out a movie starring Lucy Liu and our own Ian Roberts in a movie about AIDS in diff parts of teh continent its called 3 Needles, another movie with Forrest Withaker (sp) called Last King of Scotland.

just to get the facts right:

Blood Diamond is set to release in SA on 19 january

and 3 Needles is about peeps experience with AIDS in diff parts of the  world  including Africa.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
It disappoints me when I see the quality of threads that are hits on AG.
Whenever intelligent important stuff like this topic comes up the thread will get like 4 posts from the regular contributors & inevitably tank within a day.

But as soon as a thread about "First Orgasms" or "Brick's prono Supply" comes up they are instant hits. Like 4 pages of posts in 6hrs! :evil:

Why do people refuse to talk about REAL issues in life.
This is a hip hop site first right?
The whole appeal of hip hop to me was that it tackled REAL issues head on.
Maybe this site is just a reflection of what hip hop has become.

*sigh*

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
jesus, tate, quit crying...ok, here goes.

i think what is left to do is get consensus and awareness in civil society (normal folk diamond consumers) about the matter. the corporate sector and goverments have done their bit to combat the sale and procurement of conflict diamonds by way of the Kimberley process- spearheaded by South africa and De beers- if not anglo.

I think its one of the international community's success areas the conflict diamond issue. especially if viewed within the prism of the failures of and in collective action/ diplomacy of late. not to say our work is done though...not by a long shot.

happy, Tate?

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Sensai_Tate"
It disappoints me when I see the quality of threads that are hits on AG.
Whenever intelligent important stuff like this topic comes up the thread will get like 4 posts from the regular contributors & inevitably tank within a day.

But as soon as a thread about "First Orgasms" or "Brick's prono Supply" comes up they are instant hits. Like 4 pages of posts in 6hrs! :evil:

Why do people refuse to talk about REAL issues in life.
This is a hip hop site first right?
The whole appeal of hip hop to me was that it tackled REAL issues head on.
Maybe this site is just a reflection of what hip hop has become.

*sigh*

the latter Which you regularly visit I might add  :oops:  :oops:

That not good enough for ya?

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
Great thread..

Russell has always struck me as fake a** mini jesse jackson.

If he wishes to see if the effects potrayed in blood diamonds are exaggerated shouldn't he have gone to Sierra Leone. As usual he is hoping to reach out the ignorant in the american public...
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "melanin latte"
jesus, tate, quit crying...happy, Tate?

It aint about me..

Its bigger than hip hop.

Thanks for contributing though.

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
I would expect Russell Simmons to say some shit like that. It seems that
if he goes to South Africa (and another English speaking African country like Botswana), case closed. WRONG! He could also visit Angola or better yet, the DR Congo, where blood diamonds still continue. I know that the DRC is risky but so what, his preppy a$$ needs to be scared!!!!

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
This is just another case of the triumph of marketing over reality... human beings a**sociate diamonds with beauty, we see them as the delicate gifts of a benevolent earth and f***it we like shiny things.
You try being a guy in a serious relationship and getting away with proposing without a rock, it don't matter who she is she is on the sliding scale from severely disappointed to f***in incensed. Diamonds have no intrinsic value beyond a few industrial applications, their values as treasures are completely created, but we always buy into "constructs " with much greater enthusiasm than anything else.
And why was anybody surprised that Russel Simmons isn't an altruistic saint, he's been the epitome of big business for the last decade, he's just the black face of corporate success. Why are we kidding ourselves into believing that his skin tone automatically imbues him with a greater concern for a world far removed from his bottom line.
The history of the diamond trade is an ugly one drenched in blood and built on a foundation of the corpses of poor people, black and otherwise, BUT that is the history of ALL industry. Realise that "exploitation" is a not a dirty word in business, its meaning can be resoundingly positive.
There are no easy answers and romanticism about the effect of a positive message is about as naive as you can get.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Humans :?  :? still cant get it! nc nc nc

i think they should be a movie about "Blood Fur"8O
All them fur jackets u see.