Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Tumelo Kepadisa is an introvert and an outsider at the same time.

But this rapper's stage persona, Tuks, is a seTswana-rapping wordsmith who shoots straight from the hip. "I was drawn to music because I was never good at chatting to people one on one," says Tuks, before adding, "maybe that's the reason people sometimes think I'm arrogant."

Dealing with this and other accusations about his place in hip-hop seems to be important to Tumelo, so Tuks settles the scores on his latest album, MC Prayer.

His departure from record label Ghetto Ruff to EMI and the subsequent speedy release of an album has raised eyebrows.

"With the move, EMI wanted an album out. Maybe it's because I won the Sama or maybe they were scared I was a one-hit wonder. Sometimes I think that they had a point because although they pressured me into releasing, it's a dope album. I'm happy with it and people are happy with it," clarifies Tuks.

He's certainly no one-hit wonder, proven by his hits: Senganga, Pressure Point and 525 600 Minutes - all from his debut Mafoko a Me. And the Sama? Pitted against Pro (formerly Prokid) and Hip Hop Pantsula - two of SA's most loved rappers, it was Tuks who was awarded the 2005 Sama for best hip-hop album.

Though many were rooting for this underdog, Tuks claims he received a lot of flak for the honour - mostly from Motswako (a term coined by rappers from Mafikeng) followers.

He addresses this in the song Motswako Back .

"My category was allocated judges, it wasn't voted for by the public. So my peers chose me. This wasn't about my personality or popularity; it was about my music.

"They judged the product, not the person."

"Personally," he continues, "it (the response) ticked me off, what was I supposed to do? Take the award back? So I'm not beefing with Jabba or Morafe, this is about how I feel about other people who were negative about me taking the Sama, me coming out of nowhere and making something out of my life."

It's not all gloom on MC Prayer, the platinum-selling rapper explains. While celebrating the success of his debut, he also merely wanted to enjoy life and "floss about things just because I can". Amid the social consciousness in songs such as the catchy Monate Thwaa are really fun and silly songs. "I wanted to let people enjoy the lighter side of Tuks without me always being so serious."

And this former "outcast" has good reason to do so. With an endorsement deal with clothing brand Dickies, possibly even Audi in the near future and plans to release a DVD of his live shows, it's no wonder both Tuks and Tumelo are grateful.

"My music is my job, and it feels good to say that. It's a blessing, hence the title: MC Prayer. You know what?" he offers, "I realised my blessings and this is just me saying thank you very much."

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
nice 1 - i sometimes feel tuks is introverted with hiphop, in a sense! like he represents hiphop in the studio but the way he presents himself in the media or public is like he's shying away from being seen as hiphop, the article gives a better understanding of who he is! well written!

now i gotta learn motswako/tswana, so i can understand what the heck he's rappin about! sad to hear that his motswako peers or maf'town rappers are hating!

why?

i dont dig tuks personally cos i jus dont know a word of what he's sayin! but ya own peeps hating on you! theyre being anti hiphop.-look how the south(atl cats in particular) in the U.S support each other! cmon MAFTOWN!!!!i must be missing something here!

nice article!
@cash_sog

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
adding, "maybe that's the reason people sometimes think I'm arrogant."

Tuks please, arrogant...me i aint trying to sugarcoat nothing, Tuks is not even half the man he claims to be. He aint got it, ive seen him on so many interviews and tried listening to his record but he has nothing
to offer that i would want to hear, why? he aint my type of hustler, his just a rapper with skill but no character, no sense of real direction in terms of owning the number one spot one day and being one of the best perfomers or entertainers that ever lived. I dont see the hunger or the swagger in him, people gotta understand that just being a dope rapper is not enuf...be an entertainer of sought and u gotta shine brighter than any star that ever shined b4 u!!!
m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/landmynz
Quote from: zoolooo1

Tuks please, arrogant...me i aint trying to sugarcoat nothing, Tuks is not even half the man he claims to be. He aint got it, ive seen him on so many interviews and tried listening to his record but he has nothing
to offer that i would want to hear, why? he aint my type of hustler, his just a rapper with skill but no character, no sense of real direction in terms of owning the number one spot one day and being one of the best perfomers or entertainers that ever lived. I dont see the hunger or the swagger in him, people gotta understand that just being a dope rapper is not enuf...be an entertainer of sought and u gotta shine brighter than any star that ever shined b4 u!!!

ever considered that maybe, just maybe all he wants is just to be a dope rapper?

RapScalLyon

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Platinum-selling rapper" :o ???? Is that 4 real? did he really move 50k? I coulda sworn he said 20 000 outta his own mouth on TV. N E way 20k is swell for SA rap (which he also mentioned), but anyway good ways to him. I personally have never heard a word he has said except "aah yeah, aah-aah-aah yeah" coz of the language barrier, but all those people can't be wrong considering rappers hardly buy albums.i'm sure street sweepers are more appreciated than rappers
 :x
Free 50k
ree Claire

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Quote from: "MaraD"
Quote from: "zoolooo1"

ever considered that maybe, just maybe all he wants is just to be a dope rapper?

i feel u man!

but im sure he wants more than that out of life, if not, he's selling himself short cos jus being a dope rapper wont get you to a point in life where you are content and financially free.

look at any successful people. they always strive for more! why should we accept that when it comes to rappers its ok to just wana rap for a few props then get forgotten when the new guy steps in!

just a point of view!
@cash_sog

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "cash"
cos jus being a dope rapper wont get you to a point in life where you are content and financially free.

look at any successful people. they always strive for more! why should we accept that when it comes to rappers its ok to just wana rap for a few props then get forgotten when the new guy steps in!

just a point of view!

do you think Black Thought is not content?
what about Scarface?

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
cos jus being a dope rapper wont get you to a point in life where you are content and financially free.

just a point of view!

do you think Black Thought is not content?
what about Scarface?

To answer that Scarface has achieved much more than just being a rapper -
In addition to his prolific career as a lyricist, Scarface has also been the coordinator and president of Def Jam South since 2002, where he has fostered the career of popular rapper Ludacris, whom he originally signed to the label.

Scarface is now planning on production, he has been tapped to produce on the upcoming UGK album titled "Return of the Trill". Scarface recently converted to Islam.

AND Black Thought has always taken a more important role in politics and black empowerment and community development in Philly and neighboring cities and ghettos in the US!

So yes, they have never been content with just being rappers. They are definitely some of the greatest lyricists of our times hands down, but look further and you will realise that they are even greater people in general aside from hiphop, which is what makes them the great role models they are!!!
@cash_sog

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
they are even greater people in general aside from hiphop

shit is bigger than hiphop... do u know what Tuks does outside of music?
only if you know that can you say he's selling himself short.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
they are even greater people in general aside from hiphop

shit is bigger than hiphop... do u know what Tuks does outside of music?
only if you know that can you say he's selling himself short.

i feel u dog!

i feel our hiphop artists need to be visibly involved so we can see them grow, such as Zola because that will inspire and motivate the youth and even us, cos im very inspired by Zola cos he's out there making a difference, not jus the charity he's doin,but the brand he's created and the business moves he's made in the entertainment and corporate world. I want to do exactly what Zola is doin and much more!!!

Tuks won an award, that comes with responsibility,its not just a trophy to me!
I dont know what Tuks is doin outside of jus rappin! .I wish i did! u feel me? but youre right, so ima fall back on this 1!
@cash_sog

Da Intrikate

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
I dont think Tuks cud give a fck bout what other people thnk of him,
you can hear it on every interview that he does. He aint trying to kiss no1s a**, like most of these industry cats do, dude is just doing what he love and what he feel. And I can respect that in a man. Word up
 love black, I wish I was two shades darker

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
Yea! i Gotta Cop his 2nd Offa! that trac: Glory Train got ma att jus like Gravy Train word up Senganga!
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0