Africasgateway.com

SUPERSTAR MATERIAL

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
Can anybody tell me if they feel that we have real superstars here
in South Africa, somebody we aspire to be like.....in the HIP HOP community. Naah, all these clowns is small time for real.......they aint
got the potential to start a movement.....set trends....be visionaries etc...
they r whats hot at the moment because of hype and talent, bcos we have talented rappers i cant even hate.....but we dont have superstars, the whole idea of being in the entertainment industry is to be something
other than the usual.....but these rappers is tryina to fit into society instead of coming up with something new and staying true to who they are. I dont condone mediocre productions, ( atleast his representing where his from) it aint about where u from, its about who u r, bcos where u from has nothing to do with where u going.  My definition of a SUPERSTAR: u gotta have the 'x factor' cliche but true ( PRO KID OR VERB, both dont have the x factor and every other rap star in SA is mediocre) im the future of HIP HOP and entertainment as whole and can nobody hold me down. I spit what i feel so ul never relate if u aint rea!!!  FOR MY REAL HUSTLERS OUT THERE!!!
m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
and all the haters eat a dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well written!!!

f*** these mediocre cats! selwyn,wikid, my man, bozza, the new prokid, syfo, hidden force, jub jub...damn, the list goes on! and we let this shit happen!!!!! SA wake the f*** up!!!!

shout out to real cats like third world ridas, moral, explicit, sliqour(if he jus does him-not try to satisfy the industry cos he better than that!), koli the kid, tumi, proverb, the former prokid(before jika ma jika haha) and young zoolooo!

this is the end of the line for these punks! im here now! its over!
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
obviously everyone got different taste, but Ben Sharpa, Tumi and KONFAB all have international star quality. Whether they will famous in the same way that Jay-Z is famous is debatable - but there is no one that can guarantee that level of fame.

They are all unique artists in that they do not walk the tried and tested route. They are all technically faultless in terms of delivery. And they have interesting and important things to say. When they perform, they become possessed by the content and emotion of what they are saying - they are not merely reciting lines (you can hear this in Maradona too).

All the artists I mentioned above are in the same league as Blak Twang or Roots Manuva ie. artists that have critical respect and can make a good living out of music - not MTV Cribs living, but a living.

A lot of it goes beyond star quality to what choices you make as a musician. I doubt that we will ever have a Jay-Z in South Africa,,, and if we do, he will probably be a Kwaito artist. Most of our rappers are not critical enough of themselves to see that they are merely mimicking someone else's culture rather than exploring their own.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent with Sdhula that we don't have enough artists who rep the streets, I don't think this is necessarily the only thing that's important. The main issue is that we have a lot of artists who think they are living and breathing Hip Hop just because they wear baggy jeans and a fitted. Hip Hop is a consciousness and a state of mind, not just a boom bap beat and a style of dress. If we don't make it our own, and put our mark on it, we are just doing karaoki.

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
True that..........i really feel what u saying....i didnt even respect 'Ben Sharpa' til now, im gona give him a listen bcos of u....somehow i feel like u being real about what u saying, Real recognise Real....but u make it sound as if we can never own the hip hop culture as our own, For me its like this...IF U DO HIP HOP OR WHATEVA IT IS THAT U R DOING WITH THE INTENSION OF GETTIN PAID OR RISING TO STARDOM LIKE THE LIKES OF JAY-Z AND U DONT MAKE IT THE WAY U INTENDED BUT STILL PREACH THE SAME GOSPEL...THEN U R PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF BLIND FAITH, BUT IF U R IN IT FOR SELF ENRICHMENT OR SOCIAL UPLIFTMENT OR WHATEVA MOVEMENT U R REPRESENTING AND NOT ABOUT GETTING PAID AND U REMAIN TO UR GUNS EVEN IF U DONT GET PAID AND U SET UP UR OWN FOLLOWING AND U COOL WITH THAT, THAT ITS ALL GOOD, BUT DONT SAY U REPRESENT HIP HOP OR UNDERGROUND HIP HOP OR RAP. ABOUT MAKING HIP HOP OUR OWN I BELIEVE WE CAN OR ATLEAST I CAN AND I WILL....BCOS I AM MY OWN MAN AND IM REALISTIC, FUTURISTIC, AMBITIOUS AND IM PROUD OF WHERE I COME FROM AND WHERE IM GOING......IM A VISIONARY....WE NEED TO HAVE BIG DREAMS, JAY-Z...I CAN AND WILL BE BIGGER THAN JIGGER....NOT EVERYBODY FEEL JIGGA AND ITS NOT ONLY HIS TALENT THAT GOT HIM WHERE HE AT.....HE JUST HAD BIG DREAMS...U ONLY AS BIG AS YOUR DREAMS AND UR HUSTLE!!!
m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "zoolooo1"
True that..........i really feel what u saying....i didnt even respect 'Ben Sharpa' til now, im gona give him a listen bcos of u....somehow i feel like u being real about what u saying, Real recognise Real....but u make it sound as if we can never own the hip hop culture as our own,

I'm glad you'll give Sharpa another listen. He has become a**ociated with grimey underground stuff, but you'll hear a different Sharpa on the Planetary a**ault mixtape - banging, dark, hard club beats.

Don't get me wrong,,, the last thing I am saying is that we CAN'T make Hip Hop our own. I pa**ionately believe that we can make it our own. I'm just warning cats that they need to think about these issues and not just follow in the footsteps of another culture, just because the music came from there originally.

Music mutates as it travels around the world and people make it their own. Hip Hop is descended from Africa, the rhythm came from Africa, it became something else in the Caribbean (reggae, dub, dancehall), it mutated again when it went to the US (Hip Hop) and now it's back in Africa,,, how are we gonna evolve it to make it our own? We should be giving something back rather than just taking, so we continue Hip Hop's circle and evolution.

**MORALE**

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/neoshantyentertainment
*********************THE WRATH OF MO**************************

3rd world vision tinted/ we see black n white pictures like William Kentridge.
My generation is a misfit/ educated wit words n flows we gifted.
We need to build our selves/ empower our mindz to reach our wealth.
They hate it when Africans achieve/ happy when we beggers n thieves.
Merchants on streets/ sleeping on pavements n depicted as weak.
Superior made out to be inferior/ gave us disease through vaccines of malaria.
Repetition of Indians in America/ they murder n dispose of my character.
This is an avalanche of righteous mindz/ vision from a thousand 3rd eyes/
3 wise men times a million, truth n no lies/ listened 2 bob Marley took his mad advise/
Self consciousness debased wit white lies/ A nation crooked its whole life/
The image of Africans pulverized/blood suckers economize on us till we die/
Son be wise/ On da dotted lines my voice is a signature dat open mindz/
Dreams are desires n fears/ anxiety and despair attack me in nightmares.
Was a circle among squares/ I prepared for destiny that was quiet clear.
Township niggers rap Dan fern/ Dan Fern niggers rap townships.
Religious peeps live in da after life/ da difference is I do me n not Christ.
It’s going down like Murphy’s law/got friends dat rob banks n groceries stores.
BEE’s drink Johnny walker blue raw/ its either u an office nigger or an out law.
Or an internet faggot rapping about mo/a target or a victim in da out doors.
Living beyond means in a boxter porche/ or a student tryin to pa** a course.
We boiler room boys we juxtapose/ from Dube to Sandton city catch my flow.
Biggie got shot, Christ honey got shot, tu pac got shot, Steve Biko got shot/
Hector Peterson got it too/ too many lives got lost, when is this shit gone stop/
Gunshots n blood clots/ some where in Africa somebody is getting shot/
Did God’s love 4 Africa just stop/ killing da glory from families of ghost stories/
Build the economy like Thabo Mbeki told me/ wit bricks n hearts of harmony.
Equipped to crack da poverty/ play a monopoly I’m quick to stack da money.
They say we’re a nation of monkeys/ f*** dat! Found peace I like Mahatma Gandhi.
Took a walk wit my soul

MORALE

Listen to my music

Productions of da chains

RHYMES N FLOW ON POINT

www.myspace.com/neoshantyentertainment

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
Quote from: "zoolooo1"
True that..........i really feel what u saying....i didnt even respect 'Ben Sharpa' til now, im gona give him a listen bcos of u....somehow i feel like u being real about what u saying, Real recognise Real....but u make it sound as if we can never own the hip hop culture as our own,

I'm glad you'll give Sharpa another listen. He has become a**ociated with grimey underground stuff, but you'll hear a different Sharpa on the Planetary a**ault mixtape - banging, dark, hard club beats.

Don't get me wrong,,, the last thing I am saying is that we CAN'T make Hip Hop our own. I pa**ionately believe that we can make it our own. I'm just warning cats that they need to think about these issues and not just follow in the footsteps of another culture, just because the music came from there originally.

Music mutates as it travels around the world and people make it their own. Hip Hop is descended from Africa, the rhythm came from Africa, it became something else in the Caribbean (reggae, dub, dancehall), it mutated again when it went to the US (Hip Hop) and now it's back in Africa,,, how are we gonna evolve it to make it our own? We should be giving something back rather than just taking, so we continue Hip Hop's circle and evolution.

i can honestly say that most cats r hard at work in the lab and in the streets but the mentality is not to work hard but work smart.....EVOLUTION !!!! its like u reading my mind.....i feel and respect ur point of views bcos i feel like u have the same vision as i do and i know i could work and prosper with nigga like u! Everything uve mentioned has been well recieved and taken into consideration.....stay true to who u r and real niggas will always recognise.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
word up to morale!!!!!!!!!! that was 1 of the very few mixtapes i listened to in 06 that i was like.yeahh!!!!!!!!! thats what im talkin bout!!!!! do what u do nigga!!!!

we the future, and soon to be the present and past/
motherf***ers talkin greezzy but they never gone last/
they vision limited to borders with irrelevent raps/
i spit global like pictures from satelite maps/
i handle my biz like gangstas who handle the mack/
not a thug but a leader wit an African Flag/
in my palm, stayin rooted cos im blacker than black/
i mash on these cats, reflect through me,actual facts/
i spaz on these tracks, im cash nigga, damage the wax/
tilted hat, the fitted stay hanged on the rag/
swagger is phat, im fresh tee'd white as the crack/
niggas frontin on dat bullshit, i might jus react/
not likely, im calm dog, i quietly stack/
mad cheddar like a franchise boy when dey snap/
rock them jewels, stay icy, im cold when i rap/
this a preview, a key for you to open the hatch!!

DC/CRACK MONOPOLY!!!!!
@cash_sog

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
There wont be a hip hop superstar in south africa, maybe in Nigeria cause local hip hop does well there. Lots of guys are in it for the fame and the money, you might get the fame but the money isnt  that great in our market. I can see a kwaito/ house dj/afro pop musician making cash in SA but not hip hop

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
shouts to Dplanet!!!!

u speak REAL dude!!!!
@cash_sog

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
What up Morale,

Was dope chilin with u in Rosebank on Tuesday. Hope the recording went well dog.

One,
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Bondizzo"
There wont be a hip hop superstar in south africa, maybe in Nigeria cause local hip hop does well there. Lots of guys are in it for the fame and the money, you might get the fame but the money isnt  that great in our market. I can see a kwaito/ house dj/afro pop musician making cash in SA but not hip hop

Man i tired of hearing u wine and bitch about rap not selling, uve made ur point dawg...and i respect ur pessimism, but for real if u aint got nothing to say than dont say anything....