SA hip hop vs Hip hop made in SA

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Friday morning. Not much work to do so I am back for another debate topic.
Inspired by the Selwyn thread (can it even be called that anymore?)

Allow me to pose a question:

"What is the difference between South African Hip Hop and Hip hop (that just happens to be) made in South Africa?"

Everyone's opinion appreciated please.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Often I find myself watching Mtv base Ch O etc and they showing these artists that are the biggest thing in East Africa etc but they all appear to me like US Rap Clones.
Nothing seems authentic to me. Everything from the clothes, language, beats, video concepts etc all seem to be trying to be something they are not. The American Dream in Africa.

If I rock oversize clothes & a fitted & talk with ATL slang & swag & take a Mannie Fresh sounding 808 beat & rap over it is that South African hip hop?

I guess what I am trying to get people to debate & distinguish here is the subject of authenticity when defining hip hop.

People say: "Lets make SA Hip Hop" but do they really mean "Lets duplicate US hip hop in SA"?

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Tate I think we're still @ the stage of American Hip-Hop made in SA.It'll take some time for an authentic african sound to develop.
I stay chiseled

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
POC's been making South African Hip-Hop. ZuluBoy, VikiNduku,TOP,etc,etc.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Spaceman"Liosten before you lose don't get it confused there's no such thing as local hip hop just hip hop"
Preach preacher
9 tha Pedigree

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
we need to start thinking HIPHOP!!!!!!!!
f*** SA hiphop, f*** hiphop made in SA!!!!!! its jus hiphop!!!!!!
the rocawear,g -unit,phat farm - thats hiphop! if u hiphop! rock that shit!!!!theres no beef!!!!
the swagger! the accent! the slang!!! thats hiphop!!! - do that!!!!
being south african doesnt limit you from being HIPHOP!!!!! being south african isnt an issue!!! im tired of niggas thinkin they inferior and cant rep hiphop to the fullest!!!! get a grill on!!! whatever!!! rock that bezel chain!!! talk that grimy ebonic shit!!! its HIPHOP!!!! anyone got a problem with it can EAT A fAT DICK cos U ANTI HIPHOP!!!!!!

its not about south african rappers tryin to be american!!! this shit aint got nothing to do with america!!!! its hiphop cats doin hiphop!!!!! leave the US-SA bullshit out of it!!!!!

u cant tell a reggae dude to sound more kasi and stop sounding jamaican!!!! or dress more SA instead of jamaican!!!! its not a SA-Jamaica issue!!!! its reggae niggas doin they reggae thing!!!!!!

so let a nigga live!!! i am hiphop!!! it is what it is!!!!
@cash_sog

crus-ou

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "MrC"
POC's been making South African Hip-Hop. ZuluBoy, VikiNduku,TOP,etc,etc.

What does Landmynz make?
k IS mos deurmekaar.....

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
i honestly think that this whole thing og sa hip hop this and sahiphop that is bullsh*t.
simply because 90% percent of peopl on ag are producers/artists/managers and promoters.
how do you expect ppl to buy your ish by discrediting your whole country?

stop complaining show us your definition of african hip hop music/videos.

fashion is international even the fool next door knows that.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Hip-hop made by an artist in South Africa, who is a possessor of a South African pa**port or at the very least permanently lives here, is South African hip-hop. End of story.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
Whats wrong with doing hip hop RELATING to YOUR enviroment? you don't pop bottles of cris, you are not in any g-4, or a candy painted 68 whateva it is or rolls driving....

Rep your enviroment proudly...you earn respect that way. falling over ourselves to out dipset the dipsets is never gonna work or canibus or hov or mike jones..
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
South African Hip Hop is Hip Hop that you can tell is from South Africa, either through the cultural references in the lyrics, the language, the slang, the accent, or a musical style.

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
South African Hip Hop is Hip Hop that you can tell is from South Africa, either through the cultural references in the lyrics, the language, the slang, the accent, or a musical style.

I agree with D.Its all about the frame of reference.

As far as what Cash says I disagree bcoz all those things he's talking about as repping Hip-Hop evolved out of an American context and they portray an American frame of reference.

The question is what is our frame of reference and how do we portray that to everyone else?

My view is that our frame of reference can be found in the everyday experiences we have from our own language, slang, accents, dress sense and musical composition style.

Hip-Hop is just music and what's the point of doing music when ur own people can't relate.

In the States their own people relate to what's being put out but why not here?

The reason I think is bcoz artists here adopt a frame of reference that the people can't relate to.

This debate is a very relevant debate bcoz it goes to the issue of the perspective adopted by SA and African Hip-Hop in general and how relevant and effective that perspective is at reaching the African people.
I stay chiseled

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Vexer"

As far as what Cash says I disagree bcoz all those things he's talking about as repping Hip-Hop evolved out of an American context and they portray an American frame of reference.

The question is what is our frame of reference and how do we portray that to everyone else?

My view is that our frame of reference can be found in the everyday experiences we have from our own language, slang, accents, dress sense and musical composition style.

Hip-Hop is just music and what's the point of doing music when ur own people can't relate.

The reason I think is bcoz artists here adopt a frame of reference that the people can't relate to.

This debate is a very relevant debate bcoz it goes to the issue of the perspective adopted by SA and African Hip-Hop in general and how relevant and effective that perspective is at reaching the African people.

my reality right now is - pourin vodka and hennessey, ballin outrageous, rockin hiphop, spittin  that FIRE, hollerin at foreign hoes,poppin tags, f*** cris, we was sippin on moet shootin videos in Cape Town. all my niggas is ballin!

when we was broke we wasnt doin all this! but im sayin! its everybody's dream to live the good life!!!! its not jus for Americans! like what?are we not supposed to live good? are we supposed to rather focus on kasi life and poverty!? i got outta that! now im livin how i wana live! rockin what i wana rock! sayin what ever the f*** i wana say! speakin how i wana speak! real talk! when SONY approached us they wanted us to be more "south african", i hollered at my moms(the definition of an african woman!) and she said NAW MAN! DO YOU! DONT DO THAT SOUTH AFRICAN THING!!! MUSIC IS GLOBAL!!!! WHAT U DOIN IS DIFFERENT! THATS WHY WE LOVE IT!( 99,9% the people of UMTATA!!!) WE WANA SEE AFRICA PROGRESS INTO THE FUTURE! WE TIRED OF ALL THESE KWAITO PEOPLE WHO ALL SOUND THE SAME AND HAVE NOTHING RELEVANT TO SAY!!!DO SOMETHIN THAT THE GROWN UPS CAN RESPECT! in a nutshell,she made my hustle official! she gave it merit and said run with it!!!!

thats wisdom right there! yall jus talkin bout how its supposed to be! im tellin u how it is!!!!!!!!

this is bigger than SA!!!!! its global!!! we gotta hav fans in new york to japan!!! the SA market will support u more if u go global!!!!! im more of a universal mc than an SA mc!!!! im proudly SA but see further than these borders! now u gon knock me cos im thinkin out your usual BOX!!! damn!!!
thats life!!!!!
@cash_sog

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile

Very well said. Its a huge struggle for heads to get this kind of thinking in their heads. This shit is the biggest barrier to the progression of SA Hiphop.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile

Gweta raTaura!!! :P
Feeling this post here^^^. Couldnt have said it better myself.
Thing isI used tothink just like cash et al. I guess a certain level of conciousness has to be reached.
Open your 3rd eye...