cash · 84 · 17674

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Actually, your boy Cash did - right there on page two:

thats why Pac was and still is hot! and the likes of Masta Ace are mediocre and can only CLAIM to be the hottest!

You're right, some cats do say the dumbest shit ever!

Now as amusing as this little repartee has become, I've gotta go do some real work. Been fun. Laters.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i've lost track of what this thread is about now. are we saying that unless you sell a million units you're not "big" and therefore you're doing something terribly wrong or you're wack?

do you monopoly guys set those same standards for yourselves? if you don't sell a million units of your mixtape will you write yourselves off? (that's a rhetorical question obviously - i know you won't) ;)

you see where i'm going with this though? once you've sold a million units, you can look down on artists like master ace (who i believe hasn't sold a million as a solo artist - although was part of a multi-platinum selling group).

aspiring to sell like jay-z is great, but jay-z got where he is today by being innovative and original, not copying a successful formula - he almost gave up rapping at the beginning of his career because people thought his style was too weird.

Da Intrikate

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
cash

Da Intrikate wrote:
@ Cash

who are these ma**es that you wanna reach? Its not like the music you do has a large market. The commercial rap in SA which is mostly succesful has vernicular or "street-loxion' dominated rhymes in it,and you guys dont have that .
Theres only a small " american wannabe" market, (which I would believe would be your main audience) in SA, and most of that market wont even buy local sht. They wud rather buy a Nelly album or Fifty.

fact! proverb sold more than prokid the last time! im sure its the same this time too! open ur eyes! the english shit got a much bigger market than the so called commercial market u talkin bout

No No, you must be misunderstanding me, read my statement, I didnt cla**ify you guys under english rappers I said "american wannabe" music.
Optical, Proverb, Landmynz rap in english, although some group members in this bunch may have american accents, theyare not rapping bout the american life style that yall rap about.( popin cris, bling bling type rap)

I mean you cant possibly compare your music to Proverb's. I dont even think he likes the music you guys do, hence he always makes clear distinctions between mc's and rappers. But thats besisdes the point.

My question remains is there really a market for your type of music? Cause you guys are always referring to the ma**es you wana reach, and we all know that the audience yall can reach with that type of music can hardly be called ma**es.

But you can always prove me wrong with your sales as soon as the album drops.
 love black, I wish I was two shades darker

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
    Quote from: "Dplanet"
    i've lost track of what this thread is about now. are we saying that unless you sell a million units you're not "big" and therefore you're doing something terribly wrong or you're wack?

do you monopoly guys set those same standards for yourselves? if you don't sell a million units of your mixtape will you write yourselves off? (that's a rhetorical question obviously - i know you won't) ;)

you see where i'm going with this though? once you've sold a million units, you can look down on artists like master ace (who i believe hasn't sold a million as a solo artist - although was part of a multi-platinum selling group).

aspiring to sell like jay-z is great, but jay-z got where he is today by being innovative and original, not copying a successful formula - he almost gave up rapping at the beginning of his career because people thought his style was too weird.
    [/list]

Come on D....if u not making money u not big....not just selling records man...come on man i know u smater than that, im all about prosperity! Im saying that if u aint selling dont claim that u aint selling bcos ur shit is too creative for people to understand, therefore claiming that ur kind of hip hop is at its purest....u feel me! We aint lookin down on anybody....that exactly what im against! Lookin down on anybody! I aint copying anybodys style...im my own man and i idolise nobody... I am innovative and original....ive just learned from people whove succeeded in the field im in but what ive learned ive turned into my own! We gotta live the life we wish and aspire to live....if u dream of livin a good life and u rap about it but u never reach it....then uve failed urself! Nobody failed u...not the market, or how the bizness is run...u chose to be there so take accountability and except that u aint an all round playa. U just a tite mc....so what!!!
    m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

cash

• AG Veteran
      • REP: +9/-66
    • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
      • View Profile
    Quote from: "Da Intrikate"
    cash

Da Intrikate wrote:
    @ Cash

who are these ma**es that you wanna reach? Its not like the music you do has a large market. The commercial rap in SA which is mostly succesful has vernicular or "street-loxion' dominated rhymes in it,and you guys dont have that .
    Theres only a small " american wannabe" market, (which I would believe would be your main audience) in SA, and most of that market wont even buy local sht. They wud rather buy a Nelly album or Fifty.

fact! proverb sold more than prokid the last time! im sure its the same this time too! open ur eyes! the english shit got a much bigger market than the so called commercial market u talkin bout

No No, you must be misunderstanding me, read my statement, I didnt cla**ify you guys under english rappers I said "american wannabe" music.
    Optical, Proverb, Landmynz rap in english, although some group members in this bunch may have american accents, theyare not rapping bout the american life style that yall rap about.( popin cris, bling bling type rap)

I mean you cant possibly compare your music to Proverb's. I dont even think he likes the music you guys do, hence he always makes clear distinctions between mc's and rappers. But thats besisdes the point.

My question remains is there really a market for your type of music? Cause you guys are always referring to the ma**es you wana reach, and we all know that the audience yall can reach with that type of music can hardly be called ma**es.

But you can always prove me wrong with your sales as soon as the album drops.

dog! firstly u cla**ifying our shit is rediculous! u aint listening to the tracks! we aint even done a bling bling track yet! i might mention a few things in pa**ing, like poppin moet! its what i do! i dont mention it cos i saw Jigga do it!hahahaha! cmon man! :D  now u sayin thats what we about! go back and listen to the shit n stop makin a**umptions! we definitely aint american wannabees if u listen to the tracks! u jus caught up in a**umptions on WHO WE ARE and WHAT WE DO! maybe u need to stop skimming the music, u definitely missin the point!

i aint even frontin lil man! u jus dont know any better!

of course proverb likes the music we do! ITS HIPHOP! WTF u talkin bout! he aint a hater like U! if he prbly met u,he probably wouldnt like U! but he definitely wud f***s wit us! :D matter fact....he do f***s wit us!hahahaha
    @cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
    • AG O.G.
      • View Profile
      • Pioneer Unit Records
    Quote from: "zoolooo1"
    Im saying that if u aint selling dont claim that u aint selling bcos ur shit is too creative for people to understand, therefore claiming that ur kind of hip hop is at its purest....u feel me

i agree, anyone who claims that the market doesn't 'understand' their music is just looking for excuses.

however, for me, it's not all about making money. i won't complain if certain of my projects don't sell huge numbers because they are aimed at niche markets - that's my choice. that's the music i love, and it will be successful for what it is.

certain other of my projects i know will sell well because of the style of music - they are aimed at the ma** market. if they don't sell well i'll only have myself to blame for not making the right choices and promoting them properly.

my point is, you can't tell me ben sharpa is wack cause he hasn't sold 50,000. you can't tell me capleton is wack cause he ain't sold a million. numbers are not the only criteria to judge the quality of music. if it was britney spears would be 'better' than mobb deep.

cash

• AG Veteran
      • View Profile
    Quote from: "rob_one"
    I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. Teasing Cash is providing a pleasant diversion to a boring morning.

the all star line-up who are Grammy winners, multiplatinum-selling solo artists, film stars, TV stars, product spokespersons, hit-making producers and, most recently, major motion picture composers." ARE : Meth,RZA,ODB and Ghost!!!!!

I do believe Masta Killah and GZA would disagree with you. And I've just seen your comment about how Masta Ace can't cut it. I must say, you're the only foolo I've ever - and I mean ever - come across who doubts Ace. The man is a living legend who would make mincemeat out of most MCs alive today. What a strange opinion to hold, that he's not that good.

masta ace is a legendary lyricist! i never said he wack! r u insane!
    what i said is....he aint hot! of course masta ace is a great lyricist!
    as for masta killa(i heard he dropped an album last yr or somethin! nobody cared!) and GZA(i love gza's tracks but i love Meth and Ghost!) gza aint hot! he a great rapper, but he aint hot like Meth is HOT! thats what im sayin! meth,ghost,rza and odb had that swagger! the rest didnt! it reflects when u break it down to who achieved as an individual!
    @cash_sog

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
      • View Profile
    [
      quote="Dplanet"]
      Quote from: "zoolooo1"
      Im saying that if u aint selling dont claim that u aint selling bcos ur shit is too creative for people to understand, therefore claiming that ur kind of hip hop is at its purest....u feel me

i agree, anyone who claims that the market doesn't 'understand' their music is just looking for excuses.

however, for me, it's not all about making money. i won't complain if certain of my projects don't sell huge numbers because they are aimed at niche markets - that's my choice. that's the music i love, and it will be successful for what it is.

certain other of my projects i know will sell well because of the style of music - they are aimed at the ma** market. if they don't sell well i'll only have myself to blame for not making the right choices and promoting them properly.

my point is, you can't tell me ben sharpa is wack cause he hasn't sold 50,000. you can't tell me capleton is wack cause he ain't sold a million. numbers are not the only criteria to judge the quality of music. if it was britney spears would be 'better' than mobb deep.
      [/quote][/list]

We gettin somewhere....if his intension was to sell 50 000 and he didnt...it doesnt mean his a wack mc but a wack all round artist and hustler....u dig....but if it wasnt his intension as u said if its not ur intension to sell those numbers and u dont complain and blame everybody else for not selling than its cool cos u being a real nigga! At the end of the day do u see how being a real nigga.....surpa**es every perception about u or ur music.....people respect u on a personal level! Numbers dont are not the only criteria to judge the quality of music but.....but they r a reflection of the niggas hustle and his intensions towards the game and his music as a whole! U determine how people perceive u.....u teach people how to treat u....if Ben Sharpa aint selling and his cool with that, than thats cool...im more inspired by big dreams....guys u want it all....who want to reach the widest market as possible! Ill never be inspired by cats who r content with livin a mediocre lifestyle.....but that doesnt make him wack! He just aint the most popular....those r my goals to be me and make that popular...and big!!! Thats the difference....
      m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

rob_one

• AG Veteran
      • Silverback Jewrilla
        • View Profile
        • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
      Quote from: cash

Actually, you sort of did.

thats why Pac was and still is hot! and the likes of Masta Ace are mediocre and can only CLAIM to be the hottest!

And as for this:

as for masta killa(i heard he dropped an album last yr or somethin! nobody cared!) and GZA(i love gza's tracks but i love Meth and Ghost!) gza aint hot! he a great rapper, but he aint hot like Meth is HOT! thats what im sayin! meth,ghost,rza and odb had that swagger! the rest didnt! it reflects when u break it down to who achieved as an individual!

Masta Killah has dropped two solos (No Said Date, Made in Brooklyn) both of which, although they haven't sold much have pretty much been universally lauded as some of the tightest Wu material since 36. And actually, GZA is rather hot. He's four albums deep, and Liquid Swords still ranks as one of the best debut albums ever made, anywhere.

And as a side point, even if we go with your sales line of argument, Meth hasn't sold for quite some time. I agree he's a hot rapper, but Tical 0 and 4:21 failed to push units. Even his two best works - Judgement Day and his rock-solid debut Tical - didn't really make a huge impression in terms of sales (I stand to be corrected)

Hold whatever opinion you want sunshine, but get the facts straight.
      20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

cash

• AG Veteran
        • View Profile
      I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. Teasing Cash is providing a pleasant diversion to a boring morning.

the all star line-up who are Grammy winners, multiplatinum-selling solo artists, film stars, TV stars, product spokespersons, hit-making producers and, most recently, major motion picture composers." ARE : Meth,RZA,ODB and Ghost!!!!!

I do believe Masta Killah and GZA would disagree with you. And I've just seen your comment about how Masta Ace can't cut it. I must say, you're the only foolo I've ever - and I mean ever - come across who doubts Ace. The man is a living legend who would make mincemeat out of most MCs alive today. What a strange opinion to hold, that he's not that good.

what i said is....he aint hot! of course masta ace is a great lyricist!
      @cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
      • AG O.G.
        • View Profile
        • Pioneer Unit Records
      i guess it all depends on what you consider a mediocre lifestyle. i don't aspire to living excessively. i've worked hard and i'm already comfortable. what's gonna make me 'rich' is working with interesting artists who've got something to say, travelling, going to new places, meeting different people - these are things i can achieve without compromising the integrity of the music i love.

i didn't say ben sharpa aint gonna sell units. he's just not working in the same paradigm as you guys. i'm not arguing that one way is better than another, they are just different ways of looking at the world.

cash

• AG Veteran
        • View Profile
      :D  yo GZA,masta ace,mata killa are typical examples of pure talent! all they do is get props! but u cant feed ya  baby props! u cant eat props! u cant put away props for the future!

getting mad props doesnt give u any freedom! its not a concrete achievement! thats why i say its not hot! Meth didnt sell that much! but look what those albums did for him! he a movie star! endorses brands! he a brand alone! he can do tracks wit hot artists who only giv GZA and MASTA ACE props and no love!

meth got his business right! he eatin right! we all love meth! we jus giv GZA props!

im not sayin gza whack! masta ace is not an achiever! he still in the same position he was 10 yrs ago! but i give him his PROPS! :D since u got facts...other than gettin mad props,what have these dudes achieved!? gimme facts :lol:
      @cash_sog

rob_one

• AG Veteran
      • Silverback Jewrilla
        • View Profile
        • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
      What a question. What have these dudes achieved?

The very fact that you rap and count hip-hop as one of your pa**ions is an indicator of what they've achieved. Were it not for them and others like them, you wouldn't be the person you are. AG wouldn't exist. The word crack would probably never have entered your vocabulary. That's something money plays no part in.
      20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
        • View Profile
        Quote from: "Dplanet"
        i guess it all depends on what you consider a mediocre lifestyle. i don't aspire to living excessively. i've worked hard and i'm already comfortable. what's gonna make me 'rich' is working with interesting artists who've got something to say, travelling, going to new places, meeting different people - these are things i can achieve without compromising the integrity of the music i love.

i didn't say ben sharpa aint gonna sell units. he's just not working in the same paradigm as you guys. i'm not arguing that one way is better than another, they are just different ways of looking at the world.
        [/list]

I also aint sayin Ben Sharpa aint gona sell units....living comfortabley and not wanting......if can maintain a good life for u and ur family and ur immediate friends and commuinty then u have succeeded....and thats definately not a mediocre lifestyle...but if u struggling to make ends meet and u aint takin care of the bare necessitys( and u claim that u doin it for the love and not for the money, come on now ) than thats a mediocre lifestyle. I wana ball out excessively and u dont and its all good...as long as u eatin and ur viable than u not livin a mediocre lifestyle....u dig! U a real man whos realistic and handlin biz.....i understand the kind of cat u like workin with....I am that cat....not cos of my sales potential, but bcos im about more than just about music....im about life! We might tell the same stories and be both talented in our rights and be different....the one who sells more is the one who wants more thats it.... u as big as ur dreams!!!

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
          • View Profile
          What a question. What have these dudes achieved?

The very fact that you rap and count hip-hop as one of your pa**ions is an indicator of what they've achieved. Were it not for them and others like them, you wouldn't be the person you are. AG wouldn't exist. The word crack would probably never have entered your vocabulary. That's something money plays no part in.
          [/list]

Without them being able to reach a wider market and the resources that allow you to put ur material out( money ) we wouldnt know very much about them if at all.....money plays no part in it...what a stupid comment to make.......money doesnt play the only role but plays a major....dont come here with half truths nigga!!! U better check urself.....everything else u mentioned is irrelavent.....