Is Snazz D the illest MC in africa???

illmas · 156 · 65447

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
yeah i checked that naija boy joint peewee, its ok. i do feel people are sleeping on naija hip hop.
they dope cos they do them. pijin engish and native dialect infused in their raps. its funny when local emcees get bashed for not being origional or not incorporating south african elements into their sound, but this is exactly what the nigerian scene is about and has been about. music for the people, in a dialect that they understand and relate to. i think its dope what they are doing, and they are making huge waves everywhere. and slowly but surely west africans are slowly making waves in the states too. regardless of whether some people find them whack or not.

i think naija is way ahead of SA in hip hop, in a couple aspects. shows pull real crowds and real money. granted, cd's may be sold cheap, but they move huge numbers. i could almost go as far as to say that if south african hip hop cd prices where to be cut by about 50%, it really wouldnt do much for sales. (my opinion)
why?? cos even though they may be solid products as far as content is concerned, the market seems to have shifted away from that just good content. selling music isnt all about content any more. its about swag and appeal. i would like to challenge anyone to put an SA top 10 list of rappers that fit that bill.
but hey, its just my opinion.

Are we blindly accepting that these Naija emcees sell 100,000 units? Is there any way to prove that? Do they have Soundscan or something similar? I'm not saying they don't move units, but talk is cheap. Flooding Channel O with videos doesn't mean cats are getting paid.

Again, how do you know that Naija emcees pull 'real crowds and real money'?

Which Naija artists are 'making waves' in the States and 'everywhere'?

Every artist needs to have confidence ('swag') and 'appeal' whether they are making good music or pop. Being about nothing more than swag is sad though. That's not music, that's some Paris Hilton shit.

No country really came off that well in the Emcee Battle Africa thing, but the Nigerian round was particularly bad.

nobody mentioned that having video's on channel-o equated to having money so i dont know where you got that from.
i particularly mentioned west african artists doing well in the US. not nigeria, if you werent in such a rush to respond you would probably have picked that up. Ever watched videos of live hip hop/ hip life performances in naija? these dudes, pack stadiums. i'll try up one soon, if i get a chance to. you guys seem content with packing tiny club venues with poor sound. and even then, still struggle to fill up the joint.
im not going to knock your hustle dplanet, because its clear that you had a goal from the onset, and you have been consistant and patient enough to see you plans through and are now bearing the fruits of your labour.

it is not my intention to come on hear and force my opinion on anyone, but i hold firm to the fact that naija is ahead of sa as far as hip hop is concerned. i havent been sent here as their emba**ador cos im origionally from ghana lol, but i was just someone who picked up on a thread and dropped an opinion.

the hip hop africa thing was a waste of time. i purposefully didnt comment on that thread so that i didnt hurt anyones feelings. there were people saying that snazz was hot and what not, but i believe everyone sucked. sure, some worse than others, but snazz sucked too. i guess its a good thing that none of us were judges there

I agree with you - no one came out of the battle thing looking good, but Snazz was definitely the best of a bad bunch. He was the only one that put together proper, meaningful, non-abstract punchlines and addressed the person in front of him.

Again,,, which 'west african artists doing well in the US'? Name names and show me proof!

This isn't about me versus Nigeria - I just want to see proof of what you're saying. I'm just ignorant to the West African scene and I haven't seen it making an impact anywhere (apart from on Channel O), that's all.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
yeah i checked that naija boy joint peewee, its ok. i do feel people are sleeping on naija hip hop.
they dope cos they do them. pijin engish and native dialect infused in their raps. its funny when local emcees get bashed for not being origional or not incorporating south african elements into their sound, but this is exactly what the nigerian scene is about and has been about. music for the people, in a dialect that they understand and relate to. i think its dope what they are doing, and they are making huge waves everywhere. and slowly but surely west africans are slowly making waves in the states too. regardless of whether some people find them whack or not.

i think naija is way ahead of SA in hip hop, in a couple aspects. shows pull real crowds and real money. granted, cd's may be sold cheap, but they move huge numbers. i could almost go as far as to say that if south african hip hop cd prices where to be cut by about 50%, it really wouldnt do much for sales. (my opinion)
why?? cos even though they may be solid products as far as content is concerned, the market seems to have shifted away from that just good content. selling music isnt all about content any more. its about swag and appeal. i would like to challenge anyone to put an SA top 10 list of rappers that fit that bill.
but hey, its just my opinion.

Are we blindly accepting that these Naija emcees sell 100,000 units? Is there any way to prove that? Do they have Soundscan or something similar? I'm not saying they don't move units, but talk is cheap. Flooding Channel O with videos doesn't mean cats are getting paid.

Again, how do you know that Naija emcees pull 'real crowds and real money'?

Which Naija artists are 'making waves' in the States and 'everywhere'?

Every artist needs to have confidence ('swag') and 'appeal' whether they are making good music or pop. Being about nothing more than swag is sad though. That's not music, that's some Paris Hilton shit.

No country really came off that well in the Emcee Battle Africa thing, but the Nigerian round was particularly bad.

nobody mentioned that having video's on channel-o equated to having money so i dont know where you got that from.
i particularly mentioned west african artists doing well in the US. not nigeria, if you werent in such a rush to respond you would probably have picked that up. Ever watched videos of live hip hop/ hip life performances in naija? these dudes, pack stadiums. i'll try up one soon, if i get a chance to. you guys seem content with packing tiny club venues with poor sound. and even then, still struggle to fill up the joint.
im not going to knock your hustle dplanet, because its clear that you had a goal from the onset, and you have been consistant and patient enough to see you plans through and are now bearing the fruits of your labour.

it is not my intention to come on hear and force my opinion on anyone, but i hold firm to the fact that naija is ahead of sa as far as hip hop is concerned. i havent been sent here as their emba**ador cos im origionally from ghana lol, but i was just someone who picked up on a thread and dropped an opinion.

the hip hop africa thing was a waste of time. i purposefully didnt comment on that thread so that i didnt hurt anyones feelings. there were people saying that snazz was hot and what not, but i believe everyone sucked. sure, some worse than others, but snazz sucked too. i guess its a good thing that none of us were judges there

I agree with you - no one came out of the battle thing looking good, but Snazz was definitely the best of a bad bunch. He was the only one that put together proper, meaningful, non-abstract punchlines and addressed the person in front of him.

Again,,, which 'west african artists doing well in the US'? Name names and show me proof!

This isn't about me versus Nigeria - I just want to see proof of what you're saying. I'm just ignorant to the West African scene and I haven't seen it making an impact anywhere (apart from on Channel O), that's all.

i understand then, since you say that you are ignorant to ongoings of the nigerian scene. but then it makes it strange for you to say that SA is still ahead with the little knowledge you have of the naija scene. i make the statement not only cos im based in SA and know about the movement here, and i also tend to follow what is going on the nigerian scene evertime i can with the limited resources that i have.

but like i said, if you feel that SA is ahead of Naija, great, its your opinion. i still feel Naija is ahead of Sa, and its not my place to find the evidence to convince you or any one else. if anything, i feel its that very mentality that is suffocating local hip hop here. people dont seem to be allowed to have opinions or do what they wan to do. they have to conform to certain standards that individuals come up with. if not, they are labelled as clones and the likes.
as long as that happens, there will never be growth here.

i have nothing further to say on the topic. everyone has their own opinion and i respect them.
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
Kini big deal - Naeto C

LINK REMOVED/?sharekey=0422aac27ac19872d2db6fb9a8902bda

stylee - dj jimmy jatt feat. mode 9

LINK REMOVED/?sharekey=0422aac27ac19872d2db6fb9a8902bda

Thanks I.Q.

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
I've lived in Nigeria, and currently live in the States, No African Hip Hop artists except Akon is "BIG" in the states, and he grew up here, he's from Jersey City, his dad from Senegal, and he's travelled back and forth, as far as that goes, are there Nigerian Hip Hop CD's being sold over here? yes they are, usually they're bootlegged copies and you average bottlegger at the 7/11 out here is not going to have it on deck, you gotta look pretty hard to find it, you can find the stuff in little Nigerian stores here and there like at the West End Mall in Atlanta, where they sell Nigerian Food Products, Music and stuff of that nature, the thing is there are a lot of Nigerians living in the States in Atlanta, in Houston, TX, in NY, Philly (i think the biggest community is in Houston). a lot of them are cab drivers, and if you ask, some of them might be able to play you some 2face or some thing like that, if you ask a hip hop head who knows his shit out here, and that wasn't born yesterday about african hip hop, i believe MC Solaar would be the first and maybe only cat people remembered, maybe Prophets Of da City, and if you get one of the Def Jukie kids, they might know bout Cashless Society. Nigerian Hip Hop is only big amongst Nigerians in the States.

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Y do we look @ America as GOD, yeah they founded hip hop, but f*** I wud rather blow up in FRANCE than in the States. African hip hop is huge in France
9 tha Pedigree

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
Yeah true dat, French hip-hop is dope, I forgot another African Hiphop crew American Hiphop heads might know about are Zimbabwe Legit, but aside from that I was just noticing how the first 5 posts on this thread, are about dream battles all of them between the three Audio Visual members, Snazz, Kaptin & Krook'd. Lol, Rob said "snazz is aight but let's see him take on Ben", like these guys aren't down, lol!