SABC One Live Battle

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
SABC ONE had a live MC battle on ONE this friday night featuring some of the most talented mc´s on the continent. There were 4 mcs participating: Hymphatic Thabs, Snazz, PRO-Verb and C.R.I.S.I.S (from Zambia). The Judges were The Naked DJ, Amu and some girl I cant remember her name.
The first round was Snazz vs Crisis and Snazz ate Crisis up. It was clear that Crisis had written his rhymes.
Next was Thabs vs Pro. Pro was always gonna win that one given that Thabs is not really the battle mc and more of an abstract thinker. Pro is of course the media sweetheart now + he came with the niceness so he won unananimously.
There was a 3rd place battle btwn Thabs & Crisis & once again Crisis came with some clearly written stuff. I don´t know if thats the way the battle in Zambia but it lost him the battle (again). Big Ups to Thabs for the quick thinkin!UM LISTEN...
Finally the last battle for the ´Trophy´(& a bunch of CDs) between Snazz & PRO. They had to pick characters from a bag & Rhyme as those characters. Snazz picked a 50year old afrikaaner lady selling somethine & ate PRO up in a think Afrikaans accent! Not to Say that Pro didnt hold his own but Snazz was clearly better with the impromptu.
8-)
Big Ups to SABC one for trying to represent the intensity of a battle but they f***ed up with the over-hyped ´kwaito´ rapper Pitch Black Afro being the main attraction!
Otherwise well done to all involved & hope to see more of this in the future.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
I´m sure the pull a character out of the hat thing definately worked for the better. Another element you can always throw in freestyle sessions to really gauge if peeps ARE really freestyling. You were asking before how the WORDPLAY OPEN MIC Session went down in Grahamstown. Check review on http://www.theeye.rucus.net/_sgt/m1m1s1_1.htm" target="_blank" target="_new">http://www.theeye.rucus.net/_sgt/m1m1s1_1.htm
Peace

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Quote:

15-03-2004 at 02:37, Sensai_Tate :
I don´t know if thats the way the battle in Zambia but it lost him the battle (again). Big Ups to Thabs for the quick thinkin!.

:-o  :-o  :-o  

Nyambz is from Zambia!!!
8-) 8-) 8-)

Crisis is really tallented, pick up his album!!! AS for him "obviously spittin pre-writtens" i think he should take that as a compliment!!

But lets get is straight they were´nt any memorable lines on the show, most of the freestyles sounded like adlibs! i was chillin with emcees an producers from Pta and all over the world on the night and no one was impressed at the level of emceeing on the show!!

It was a noble idea, big up to Sabc 1, i wish there were more genuine hip-hoppers on the panel.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/landmynz
Quote:

15-03-2004 at 09:11, nyambz :
i wish there were more genuine hip-hoppers on the panel.

:-?  :-?

Yeti_Russel

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
n´ya the yeti thinks that all in all the battles were not great (even tho there wqas some pretty ill creativity and quick thinikng from thabs and snazz). it was nice that they showed some music vids as well (enjoyed that BMP video). WAS THE GIN GRIN VIDEO FAT?
ha Yeti Russel
''oh shit so yeti's do exist. f***, the apocalypso is now...''

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
the shit is going to t.v. now
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Lets not get ahead of Ourselves here. Yes the emceeing wasnt premium stuff but we need to contextualise this thing. As much as it was  a ´hip-hop´ event it was very much mainstream from the presenters to the ig´nant a** crowd who didnt even realise a witty punchline when it was spit by my man Thabs!
So within that kind of environment looks like the emcees were forced to dumb down their performances to relate to the Pitch Black Afro lovin audience!
Shame but true. Local Hip Hop has a long way to come before Nationally Broadcast Events like these draw the kind of support they deserve.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/landmynz
mangithi Pitch Black wena uthi Afro...
Pitch Black...     *Afro....*
ng´phethe no DJ Cleo eskhaleni... igaz´lam...
ukwazile uk´ngikhiph´ ebumnyameni
mangithi Pitch Black wena uthi Afro...
ng´phethe no DJ Cleo eskhaleni... igaz´lam...
ukwazile uk´ngikhiph´ ebumnyameni

I just love the song.... :-]

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Mara why you trying to put that song in my head? Its bad enuff I gotta hear it on Y every hour! Theres so many BETTER Local hip hop songs out now why waist your (& my time with this bullsh*t)?!

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
F*** i nu that s*** will b here...
but that was aight, if you missed that show uhmmm?
neva mind! big up y´all hip hop headz makin´ this large
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

Nigel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Down here Pitch Black is like God right now to almost everyone. But  m ust admit from and english and xhosa perspective HIS RHYMES DONT MEAN SHIT !!!!!

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
I agree its all a big gimmick & I hate Gimmicky Rappers. How many of yall remember Afro-Man? That guy was too large I didnt really go on about anything of any sort of significance. The Gimmick sold and thats the same for pitch black!
Here today gone tommorrow!

Anonymous

i must agree with you this whole PBA shit is a joke he is keeping hip hop under siege by people who say that it is mindless babble and he is proving them right we need to get rid of ake emcces and make way for the skilled such as BMP maximum sentence etc..

DAZ aka-Cyfa Lojik (PPL ON THE STREET)

• Daz.-aka-Cyfa.Lojikk
  • AG Extremist
    • View Profile
sorry that was me!

hip hop is my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the lines and curl my back to reality-
the beat washes away from my soul the dust of everyday life-
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent!