Africasgateway.com

the "Commercial" Debate

TNGlive · 26 · 4309

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Now, somehow the presence of ignorant statements lately, from supposed "commercial" hip hop lovers on AG, has lead to a situation where statements like this are made:

Quote from: "Dplanet"

Nelly is pure pop music. His lyrical skills are minimal & he ain't saying shit. Listening to Nelly is like listening to a tv jingle - catchy and annoying with no content. Great ringtone music.

Now, granted the Nelly /KRS thing was stupid, that's been discussed. But because there's been questionable characters waving Nelly's name somehow that dude has been put in the same category as Vanilla Ice. Everyone in S.A. hip hop seems to think Nelly is the epitome of wackness. No skill, story telling ability and what not. In most cases, fact is when people don't like a Neptunes sound type of beat, they don't listen they hear. Just like if people don't like a DJ Premiere type of beat, they don't listen they just hear..oh that's that underground sh!t.

Is Nelly pure Pop music- yes. Was H-to-the-Izzo pure pop music -Yes.

Are his lyrical skills minimul - No.

He ain't sayin shit - No.

Evidence (All from the ONE album "Country Grammar" which I think makes him not the end all poster boy of wackness niggaz seem to be on:

Humour:
"Greed, Hate, Envy": 3rd verse
One time out in the Range Rover
(WOOP WOOP, WOOP!) Aww shit they pulled me over
What tha hell y'all f***in wit me fo?
Speed limit 30 just doin 34
"Yeah son, where the gun?" It's at home wit tha dope
"Oh you a smart a** ha?" Nah that's my lil joke
"How bout I tow yo truck in?" Ain't no need to be provoked
besides everything up in here done been smoked
I ain't got nuttin but tapes and CDs
Pocket full of G's and two tickets across seas
So me and my boo can lay under the palm trees
Ain't no more questions then hand me my ID
You could tell he was pissed
cuz the black man in the black range
doin black things wit his black change
Doin the right thing, drivin his a** insane
And if I wasn't in his face he probably be callin me names

^^Personally the way a certian verse was done on the much loved Jigga "99 Problems" (where the cop pulls up to ask him questions)-though autobiographical, it sounds like it was inspired by the way this verse was put together.

Humour: "For my" 3rd verse

Four karats in my earring, five around my knuckle
Six wrap the wrist, check the belt buckle
Leave them wit it look like Nelly I didn't know
If you was the Jackie Frost why didn't you say so
Somebody gotta shine my nigga why not me
Even my dentist told me floss 7 days a week
Freeza brought out the piece Gucci and hat sweet
Butter soft leather seats for trash talkin' freaks

^^ I mean really, comedy making fun of the floss game the way that scenario is painted all in 8 bars.

I mean other lines like on "Hot Sh!t" sheist niggaz who snatch yo' life niggaz/Trife niggaz, who produce and sell the same beat twice, nigga It's just comedy.
Bars like:
Smokin on dubs in clubs, blowin up like cocoa puffs
Sippin Bud, gettin perved and getting dubbed
Daps and hugs, mean mugs and shoulder shrugs
And it's all because, 'ccumulated enough stretch
just to navigate it, wood decorated on chrome
and it's candy painted, fans fainted - while I'm entertainin
Wild ain't it? How me and money end up hangin
..made me (as a fan of rap music) picture being in St. Louis and starting to make it in whatever profession. What's an emcee when he can't place you in his own shoes and you can visualize the picture he's painting with words, imagining walking through the scenario? How many times you get daps and hugs, all at the same time there some mean muggin and shoulder shruggin going on...that's all just relevant sh!t most people experience in a social setting...And the way he spits it makes all a funny situation when it's usually accompanied by either insecurity/cockiness/ on indifference about the situation when it's actually happening.

I personally think he has had a string of very very weak and wack albums after this first banging one. There was display of some decent lyrical skills. He was saying something. Pioneered a new sound. It was mostly a good hour of comedy, with doses of autobiographical rhymes he and there, inspiring tracks about the reality of life like the advice given in "Other Side".
Anyway, when did it become unskillful for an emcee to display humour. Everyone has to always be angry about the world? People forgetting how all this sh!t started. Today it can't co-exist with Edutainment? Come on man.

I've already established these "so-called" "commercial hip hop" lovers don't know sh!t about that part of rap music. & so their arguments include name drops where they don't really know what they're talking about, let alone having a knowledge of how that came from the foundations laid in the past.

Can people just fall back from using Nelly as the definition of complete wackness...you have things like 3 Six Mafia, or Chingy, or East Side Boyz who have trully displayed NO lyrical skill, no content, ain't sayin sh!t, and are like a ringtone as D plizzay said. One hot album is good enough to not be cast in this same category. One may have fallen off, but point is he was once on..to have fallen off in the first place.

Stop following the "crowd" with "name droppin" "so and so" is wack when you can't back up the evidence-"it's just what the cool people say"!

& no don't come at me about MIMS, Chingy & sh!t, just because they get heavy rotation, that's not commercial, that's just crap. That sh!t is not even selling.  
Putting every crap that sounds terrible into the category "commercial" hip hop is like someone who has no clue about Staten Island emcees' type of rap music coming up in here talking about when it comes to including martial arts in music Carl Douglas's "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting" bodied anything Wu Tang ever did. Sh!t is that different and unrelated.  

The point I'm making with this post is sometimes; bullsh!t is just bullsh!t being pa**ed off as "rap music"...But it's not fair at all to categorize every bit of this bullsh!t into the category "commercial hip hop". It's not.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Did you ever hear the D&B remix of Country Grammar? It was HOT.

:D don't mean to jack your thread T, just had to get my bit in...
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
By D&B I'm guessing you mean Drum & Ba**. Nope, just know the original there.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i hate to tell you,,, but mims is selling  :evil:  8O  :cry:  :cry:

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile

how much has mims sold so far D?
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "blaklez"

how much has mims sold so far D?

On February 23, 2007 the song reached the top spot on the U.S. iTunes Store 100 most-downloaded songs, surpa**ing Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude". The song debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart, selling 140,874 downloads.
By early March 2007, the online release of the song had propelled it from number 32 to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in one week; this was the third-greatest rise to number one in the history of the Billboard Hot 100. [1] It remained at number one in the next week [2] until it was surpa**ed by "Glamorous", by Fergie and Ludacris the week after in the issue dated March 24, 2007.

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
So it's possible that the cd hasn't sold over 300 000?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "blaklez"
So it's possible that the cd hasn't sold over 300 000?

i don't know about CD sales, but i wouldn't be at all suprised if his album goes platinum

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive

Well I don't mind correcting you D plizzay, by "not" selling I'm tlaking about selling in terms of the market that that album was released in.

71 MIMS MUSIC IS MY SAVIOR 10,003 11,026 -9 197,824

So pleeeze hey...Going from number 4 to number 71 in 7 weeks...having sold only a total of 197K in that time....and with how record sales either
a) decrease dramatically after first weeks of release
b) level off at a high 5 figure average per week (not a figure that starts with the digit 1)

eerrr Mims is not selling according to the 2 options. Album is tanking.  

On February 23, 2007 the song reached the top spot on the U.S. iTunes Store 100 most-downloaded songs, surpa**ing Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude". The song debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart, selling 140,874 downloads.
By early March 2007, the online release of the song had propelled it from number 32 to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in one week; this was the third-greatest rise to number one in the history of the Billboard Hot 100. [1] It remained at number one in the next week [2] until it was surpa**ed by "Glamorous", by Fergie and Ludacris the week after in the issue dated March 24, 2007.

May I remind ya'll what Brand Nubian said:
Don't let it go to your head, no !!!
One single don't make you a hit
It means diddly squat. Unless it's not hip hop.

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
^^^That's what I thought.people are startin bootlegg garbage music.

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com

illmas

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
WTF is wrong wif the AG of late! :evil:
If it aint about blackS thens its about Nelly :evil:  :evil:  stop talking about this f***en topics!!! PerioD

:evil:  :evil:
lets talk about sumin' constructive about Hip Hop

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "Bondizzo"
commercial hip hop is the future

the future of what?

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
lol if I told you then it wouldn't be a surprise, if you can read the future you have a better chance of success

morph

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Bondizzo"
commercial hip hop is the future

the future of what?

I'm Shocked that we actually entertain this kind of thought process :?  :?  8O  8O  8O
..Insanity is coasting throught life in a miserable existance when you have a key to a lion locked inside