Nas - Hip Hop is Dead

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
As the un-official minister of Nas propaganda on AG I present to you this from the office of President Carter:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002539452

Nas Declares 'Hip Hop Is Dead'
May 19, 2006, 11:00 AM ET
First Def Jam Disc Due In September
Clover Hope, N.Y.

Recent Def Jam signee Nas will deliver his first album for the label in late September. The rapper made the announcement last night (May 18) while performing on the first leg of labelmates the Roots’ two-night stand at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The album is titled "Hip-Hop Is Dead,” according to a Def Jam representative, who also confirmed the September release.

Nas capped off his roughly 15-minute set by pronouncing, “I'm working hard for y’all. I got an album coming out in September.”

Def Jam president Jay-Z added Nas to the label’s roster in January, two months after the pair mutually dissolved their longtime feud.

As previously reported, the new disc will be one of two albums to be jointly marketed by Def Jam and Columbia, Nas’ previous label.

During a live chat on the Roc-A-Fella Web site in February, Jay-Z said that plans were underway to begin working on the project. Black Eyed Peas leader will.i.am also told Billboard.com that he was scheduled to record with Nas.

"Hip-Hop Is Dead” will be the follow-up to 2004’s “Streets Disciple,” which peaked at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 694,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. In his 11 years with Columbia, Nas' catalog has sold 12 million units.

The Roots concert also featured Common, Talib Kweli, Big Daddy Kane and saw a brief cameo from comedian Dave Chappelle, who billed many of the same artists for his 2004 Block Party in Brooklyn, N.Y. Tonight's second round of performances will feature Erykah Badu, Mos Def, J. Davey and Angelique Kidjo.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Actually the title of this album has evolved over the years from--->

NASDAQ Dow Jones
N-Word (I Refuse to say/ spell that word)
N.A.S.

Now "hip hop is dead"?...I hope Nasty Nas is more decisive about his beats that he has been about his title..

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah i read bout that hope its a def banger
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
will.i.am on beats,,, hmmmm.

i hope they can do justice to one of the greatest living rappers of our time. if anyone deserves a cla**ic album, it's nas.

not sure i like the title of the album,,, but hell, it's nas, he can do what he likes :)

Ghetto Rat

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
  • "This world is mine for the taking"
    • View Profile
Nas said "Hip Hop is Dead..." IN AMERICA!

I wonder if his style is gonna change.
y thoughts stay down-to-earth like a vicious alligator's six-pack! - Golden Shovel

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah no doubt hip hop is dead in the states
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "RuSh"
yeah no doubt hip hop is dead in the states

I wouldnt go as far as to say ALL THAT.

Incidentally the Source magazine (does anyone still read that?) did an issue with the same gimmick.

The proliferation of hip hop into the mainstream has come at a cost of it "watering down" a lot since inception..but thats a WHOLE OTHER THREAD!

NASTY NAS IZ THE ILLEST.

The Myth

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
his choice of beats past coupl of releases...  :x  :x
also heard about the "NASDAQ" title. i wonder if hovva gonna make an appearance on the album,, wud be interesting to see former rivals mic-connecting.
quot;Whille we out flossin',while we tryna holla at the jawn at the club,while we livin the good life, this mofo is making music" - ?uestlove on Jay Dee

authentic

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
i think its disrespecting tha other artists n all when he says hiphop is dead n all that. i mean he is part of hiphop so whats he really saying , others got this theory that he saying hiphop is dead ,therefore since he is dropping his album it means he is reviving it n all that but .......
there's been artists thats been holding it down lately n been dropping solid material , peeep Little Brother , Kweli , Papoose,Lupe Fiasco ,Common ,Gangstarr ........ tha list is endless .... he juss got over a lil xcited
irregardless of that though , i love Nas n been waiting for this project forever , n with producers like Just Blaze , Kanye , Premo confirmed n surrounded by artists like The Roots under tha same label,Ghostface n all he can reach out to some solid guests ....
NAS gone have something solid
url=http://albumbase.com][/url]

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
ppl underestamating will.i.am as a producer, he'll bring something special 2 the mix... and like sed wit the rest of the producers confirmed this shit should be hot.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
maybe i am underestimating will.i.am cause he been making a lot of pop recently. we'll see i guess.

i heard nas saying his album wasn't going to be 'commercial',,, he said he believed there was room for "art to sell".

i'd love to believe what nas is saying,,, but my problem with all american hip hop is that major labels are under so much pressure to sell records, it's hard to imagine true creativity being allowed to blossom. they need to sell millions so they can't take the risks you need to take in the name of creativity. they've hired in the hitmakers (kanye, primo, will.i.am),,, i can't see them producing an album with the energy and creativity that an artist of nas' standard deserves. It will be a 'winning formula'. I'd love to be proved wrong, but i bet we won't be in for any major suprises.

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
we'll have 2 wait and see... lets not get 2 excited and build ourselves 4 anada disappointment, kinda hard 2 imagine it happening wit this hurr project.
Id be intrested 2 see will.i.am do something more raw/grimey

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
"let anything that's dying in Hip Hop die"
So while the wackness is dying off, the rest of us can keep it moving in
the studio making good shit