• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Near & dear to my heart...

World Refugee Day: Displacement in the 21st Century. A new paradigm

The refugee challenge in the 21st century is changing rapidly. People are forced to flee their homes for increasingly complicated and interlinked reasons. Some 40 million people worldwide are already uprooted by violence and persecution, and it is likely that the future will see more people on the run as a growing number of push factors compound one another to create conditions for further forced displacement.

Today people do not just flee persecution and war but also injustice, exclusion, environmental pressures, competition for scarce resources and all the miserable human consequences of dysfunctional states.

The task facing the international community in this new environment is to find ways to unlock the potential of refugees who have so much to offer if they are given the opportunity to regain control over their lives.

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/events?id=3e7f46e04

The escalating crisis in Zimbabwe has sent an estimated two million people into neighboring South Africa. The conditions they are willing to endure there speak volumes about conditions in Zimbabwe.

tales of a displaced 'mwana wevhu' (child of the soil)... :cry:

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
So many issues on our continet displacing people from there homes. Keep hearing about this or that Somali, Sudanese or rwandan family moving to America land of the "free".

Mostly because of War, genocide, fear for life but there are economic pressures that force people to leave their home, we've all heard about doctors ending up driving cabs when they get to  NY, or washing cars when they get to Cape Town.

People from mostly third world countries living in migrant communities in europe, america, neighbouring countries, considered outsiders, looked down on, breaking their backs and sometimes resorting to crime and getting caught up in all sortsa shyt coz of the cirsumstances, it must be hard, exile was temporary and it ended, when will these people be able to go back home to live again...?

I don't know what the solutions are, but the problem is there amongst all the other problems we face, but what can insignificant little me do to change shyt... I ask myself, something I'm sure but what....

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
As long as the economic injustices are not addressed  we will have these kinda of problems to grapple with.

As long as the G8 countries keep rippin the 3World coutries off especially African coutries our brother and sister would not have a place they call home

As long as African governments are accountable to the World Bank, IMF, WTO and other "international bodies" instead of their people.....we will not solve anything ......

As long as we still have huge economic disparities between the rich and the poor in African countries ( filthy rich and those who live in abject poverty) and we still think its normal to have the rich and the poor.

As long as the UN is domianted by the rich countries.......................... we will still have refugees, .WE NEED A REVOLUTION, we need to fight against capitalistic policies. Hope this thraed doesn't get deleted.