Africasgateway.com

Zuluboy Interview

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Putting music to culture

Lindile Sifile speaks to Zuluboy about ‘conscious’ hip-hop and mixing Zulu traditions

‘Some people call this type of hip-hop boring because we don’t sing about the Bentleys and expensive cognac like Hennessy and any other s**t like that. To me all that stuff is irrelevant to the way I grew up; if my mother were still alive she wouldn’t approve’

– Zuluboy

‘I believe that we (SA music industry) have a sense of direction in what we do. Our cultural beliefs guide us’

– Zuluboy

FROM burning herbs before his stage performances to lyrics that sparked the interest of former South African deputy president Jacob Zuma, local rapper Zuluboy is a true Zulu at heart who is set to break the bling-bling stereotypes of hip-hop music.

Born Mxolisi Zuma – no relation to Jacob Zuma – or Zuluboy as he is popularly known in entertainment circles, he is blessed with the talent of storytelling.

He fuses Zulu-language idioms with contemporary urban hip-hop.

His rhymes blend well with the beats, heavily influenced by African drums and traditional maskandi elements.

The KwaZulu-Natal-born star is the latest addition to the new and exciting vernacular hip-hop that has African languages and English complementing each other.

Setswana rappers Hip-Hop Pantsula; Stoan Seete, of Bongo Maffin; and Tuks, are some of the few rappers who have popularised the style while Pro (Kid), H20, Mr Selwyn and Amu are flying the flag high for Zulu speakers.

Unlike the most popular rappers, better known as emcees in rap culture, who idolise commercial hip-hop, Zuluboy shies away from the American twang, baggy pants, heavy jewellery, expensive cars and half-naked, booty-shaking girls.

He is all about conscious or “man on the street” hip-hop, and is set to educate the black nation about its origin while dishing out street literature.

“Some people call this type of hip-hop boring because we don’t sing about the Bentleys and expensive cognac like Hennessy and any other s**t like that. To me all that stuff is irrelevant to the way I grew up; if my mother were still alive she wouldn’t approve. Hip-hop is an art form that sets to educate the ma**es and not feed them s**t that is not relevant to the guy on the street.

“The problem with South Africans is that we depend too much on spoon-feeding when it comes to music, and I think it’s time we take pride on our own stuff,” says Zuluboy, whose mentor includes American rapper KRS1, famous for his anti-bling-bling attitude in American hip-hop.

Zuluboy says he will never buy the CDs of these five hip-hop artists because of their “wackness” (rap slang for weakness): 50Cent; Lloyd Banks; TI; Chingy; and Lil’ Jon.

These days almost every hip-hop discussion ends up addressing the topic of whether music and culture have become too commercial.

American rappers like Nelly and 50Cent are some of the many commercial artists who have been criticised for diluting real hip-hop with meaningless, shallow lyrics about women’s body parts and bragging about their wealth.

The music video trend of throwing money at the camera while bikini clad women shake it in the background adds salt to the wounds of the injured genre.

In an effort to save the genre and take it back to its prime of the early 1990s, American rapper Nas recently released a provocative album called Hip-hop is dead which sets the record straight – how money and greed is killing hip-hop.

However, commercial hip-hop fans see conscious hip-hop as uninteresting.

Hip-hop website allhiphop.com says some of the misconceptions – and truths, I think – about underground or conscious hip-hoppers include:

lThey are poor independent artists barely making it because no one recognises or appreciates their artistic expression;

lThey all spit conscious, intelligent lyrics and have no gangster tendencies;

lThey have love and respect for the hip-hop culture; and

lThey have mastered their rhyme skills.

But where does South African hip-hop fit into all of this?

Zuluboy reckons that since our industry is still in its infancy, it has not really been affected by the conflicting arguments.

“I believe that we have a sense of direction in what we do. Our cultural beliefs guide us.

“For example, the likes of HHP have introduced the vernacular into hip-hop for Tswana speakers and I believe that I’m an answer for the Zulus.

“It’s an indigenous style that inspires us in our evolution of taking hip-hop back to its origin.

“They might accuse real hip-hop emcees of using big words in their lyrics, but it is what we read in the books and we translate it in music.

“Of course money keeps us motivated, but love keeps us grounded,” says Zuluboy.

His thoughts are all in his debut album, Masihambisane, released in September last year.

It’s an unashamedly Zulu album, which on the track Hail to the Kings, features King Zwelithini’s praise singer who belts out uplifting praises to the tribe’s legacy of warriors.

Since its release, the album has sold in excess of 10000 copies – quite an achievement for a five-month-old local hip-hop CD.

He’s probably the only local emcee to have Jacob Zuma dancing to another song besides Umshini wami (Bring me my machine gun).

I can sense him blushing on the other end of the telephone line when I inquire about Zuma’s interest in his music.

I heard the former South African deputy president had sent a delegation to look for Zuluboy’s CD after he had been struck by a catchy beat or verse.

“I was shocked when I heard that. It’s not common to find a person of his position interested in hip-hop. Last year, I was approached by people who work closely with him and they told me that he was interested in my stuff and had plans to do something about it, but I haven’t heard from them since,” says Zuluboy.

Indeed only a few people of Zuma’s status would approve of hip-hop music. A few months ago the hip-hop world criticised talk-show host Oprah Winfrey for her hypocrisy, following her attack on Ludacris for using the n-word and degrading women in his music.

This happened during one of her live broadcasts. According to The Source website (an American hip-hop online magazine), website rapper Ice Cube retaliated, saying: “She had damn rapists, child molesters and lying authors on her show and if I’m not a rags-to-riches story for her, who is?”

Thanks to the meaningful and intelligent lyrics of some of our emcees, local hip-hop has gained the respect it deserves in this country.

Zuluboy’s pride in his culture goes beyond just using it as lyrics in his music; it is his way of life.

While many of us would ridicule the sight of a musician using traditional herbs, burning impepho (a bush used to ward off evil) is part of his lifestyle.

“I burn impepho everytime I leave my home and light it off stage before my performances. It wards off evil energies that people might have towards me while I’m performing. It is something I have learned growing up in KwaZulu-Natal.”

There’s a sudden sense of sadness in his voice when talking about his family. Long pauses fill the gaps between sentences.

He was raised by his mother. His father died in 1996, and his mother two years ago.

“My father was never in the picture. I even arrived late at his funeral and when I got there they had already filled the grave, but I think both my parents would have been proud of what I have done for myself.

“I’m not angry at my father for not being there when I needed him. It was a lesson, and I think I will make a better father than some people who grew up in the presence of their fathers,” he says unapologetically.

And if his unabashed mix of modern and traditional culture is anything to go by,

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2007/03/17/Columns/c2.html

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
f*** me, there have GOT to be better ways to write a hip-hop article for the general reader.

Big ups on the exposure though. 10,000? Dude deserves it, he's hot.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

DRAMA BOY

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
HIS f***EN WACK & I HONESTLY FEEL ITS A f***EN LIE NO f***EN WAY ZULUBOY CAN SELL 10000 COPIES
CRACK BOY WANNA BE...

blaQdust

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
10 000 :?:  8)
The fall of capitalism is imminent

KayGee

• Guppie
    • View Profile
Big ups to Zuluboy not everyone in our local hip hop industry can reach those sales.

I got to say the dude deserves it after his long hustele to try and get into the game.
m not in it for the hell of it son/
its been a long time dream never needed a screen to tell a vision/
with the knowledge of a dentist for the willing to listen/
coz if you open wide i will start filling your wisdom/

Proverb is sick.....

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rob_one"
f*** me, there have GOT to be better ways to write a hip-hop article for the general reader.

Cosig, generally we have  a few good feature writers in South Africa, ppl use the tried and tested formula, there is no flow, no connectivity...no pa**ion or knowledge of the issue at hand.nada, niks, tu.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Quote from: "rob_one"

cosign. i dindnt even finish reading it. the writer is not that well informed. plus Zuluboy does rock baggy pants.

big ups to Zuluboy though.

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Im not sure about the 10 000 units,but im not suprised though,but one thing i know for sure is that ZULUBOY & SHAUN.G have the largest fanbase in KZN,They are big here, i mean literally.

thuboy

• Guppie
    • View Profile
eh..........Zuluboy big ups,i have your album and i must say its what wwe local hip hop niggas need,so keep on rocking and dont worry about those f***en commercisl niggas who like bling-bling,they know nothing,''bayahlanya laboBLING-BLING,ba advertiser iCHING-CHING bengena lutho'' yeah :twisted:

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
dude is fake! he a hater!
after KOLI's run in with him, i really dont beleive this nucca!
he lyin to the public!

and why is he so insecure?
if he's sellin 10,000, then why are we a threat? why is he tryin to beef?
it dont make sense......
@cash_sog

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
It had to become about you didn't it? Were'nt you on here for a couple of months calling the boy wack, fake, wannabe and all kinds of shit and now you wanna cry like a little bitch cos he has beef?

Anyway, props to the kid for making it, but shit, the person who wrote this shit should be fired cos its horrible. I wrote better articles when I was in grade 7.

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/landmynz
Quote from: "cash"
and why is he so insecure?
if he's sellin 10,000, then why are we a threat? why is he tryin to beef?
it dont make sense......

it seems to me you're the one beefing...

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
ima fall back!
i see im givin this nucca attention he dont deserve!

ps. pryo. i aint cryin dog! i live on beef! its nothin!
besides,the little altercation thing! we over it!
im sure the lil nucca all healed up now from the beatdown he got :lol:
its over!
@cash_sog

fezisa

• View Profile
    • http://www.coffeebeans.co.za/fezisamdibi
i really think that Zuluboy sold that 10 000 copies.  i did an interview with him beginning of the year on www.coffeebeans.co.za/fezisamdibi and he had sold 7 000.  check it out..... :lol:
hether u think u can or think u can't, u are right.

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile
Hey Fez, ngu-Nkutcha lo, DBN code 031. U-grand mzala? Do u still write?
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala