SA Hip hop Memories

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
June 1997: Dubbing a copy of Wu-Tang Forever, packing my Mom's Nissan Box Sunny HB13 (5 seater) car with like 6 of my boys & rolling all the windows down and driving to Prince Edward vs St Georges Reunion Day rivalry rugby game blasting Re-United/ For Heavens Sake yelling "WU-TANG, WU-TAAAANG!!!" at the top of out lungs while dimes were turning their heads & Feds (prefects) were hating.
Beautiful

iamBakdraft

• Bakdraft
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-8
  • I'mmo gets mine...
    • View Profile
    • Iambakdraft's Blogspot
SA Hip Hop has come a long way.... I think I’m blessed to have always been a part of it from the beginning.... I've followed this movement for years 4rm the POC days, Lee Club days, days when Mischief Amu and Spex ruled the airwaves, back in the Shimane and Selwyn days, Back when Tumi and Young Weapon were called Database, Days of Rap Activity Jam, days of Invaders, Hypergenics, Cla**ified Mceez, Shorty Skillz, Raw.... I can go on and on....

My memories of the Jozi Hip Hop are just too many to try and mention them all. With all the changes that SA Hip Hop has went thru which memory/event/battle...etc do you think changed the Hip Hop scene, or is a highlight in your memory....

Mine has to be when Proverb and Pro-Kid battled at the Rand Easter Show for the PRO name.... the weather was shady on that day it was somewhat drizzling and chilly perfect wetha for Hip Hop gear.... It was packed like that people waiting for Proverb to arrive Pro-kid had been waiting for him for hours... MY vote was with Proverb on that day, sadly he lost the battle... that is one of my memorable moments in Jozi Hip Hop.....

Holler Back

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
There will never be a better moment /period in SA hip-hop than the Le Club era. EVER !!!!
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I was very young during the 'golden era' of Le Club, so I missed all that. I do remember suddenly waking up to how exciting the local scene was: Godessa killing it at Mega Music Warehouse (now Ba**line) in Newtown - winning tickets to the show from The Star, getting dropped off by my dad, seeing Tumi and the Volume (then unknown) do support...Godessa running on and murdering it. Made me a fan of them ladies for life.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

tebzartlad!

• THE D.A.N.J.E.R MAN
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +6/-3
  • ...I still love H.E.R the way Common used to!
    • View Profile
'96 another dude called Tebza "The Erazer", hands me a tape with sh*tloads of local raps that I've never heard before.
Tha most memorable joint wuz that "Wake wabona mos' " by Amu and Shorty Skillz (with sum gal..forgot her name tho)

From there on...'POINT OF NO RETURN!

Claude "Baller" Kona... R.I.P (Return If Possible!)

Sosiba

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
  • Madzikane kaZulu.
    • View Profile
Yo masibone :-\

2002: My cousin Siyabulela lent me D12's devil's night. Yo! With lines like, I didnt get most of the lines coz I was only 11 but I knew that F**k was a swear word. So I stood next to the HI-fi so I cud stop it when daddy pa**es by.

After this Hip Hop was rare for me (believe me, where I'm at the Hip Hop most people here pride themselves about is till rare) but I'd here some Biggy, Mase, 2pac, Eminem (what I'd say was mainstream then).

late 2002: Heard and saw Skwatta kamp doing Manyisa on Jam alley (Then i realised that our version of Hip Hop aint kwaito). I listened to D12 again and found it humourous in a dark way but Eminem's "This is for those kids who get picked" :-[ on got me hooked.

Then DRE, Snoopy, Warren g, Busta Rhymes etc.

Hype mag came through and gave me access to Hip Hop (this was in 2005 mid to late)otherwise the I scripted "I am who I am" when my bro had just got Fruity loops from varsity... There's so much, but definately most other things came through coz of Hype mag and the tapes and the occa**ional internet connection when my bro was on holiday.
"Why was the worker shot? Because he protested... Why was the negro shot? Because he was there. This is the gratuitous (without cause) violence against Black people that so called pure marxist can't comprehend" Frank Wilderson.

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
man...i dont remember shit...was high since the age of 12...and you know how weed makes your brain...like a siffff!
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
I was very young during the 'golden era' of Le Club, so I missed all that. I do remember suddenly waking up to how exciting the local scene was: Godessa killing it at Mega Music Warehouse (now Ba**line) in Newtown - winning tickets to the show from The Star, getting dropped off by my dad, seeing Tumi and the Volume (then unknown) do support...Godessa running on and murdering it. Made me a fan of them ladies for life.

this was in 2003, if memory serves correctly.

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
I'll just go for first memories...Uqabuka kwam (when i became alert  :-\)

I'm jealous because i never had a bigger brother and the only hip hop i heard was from TV and Radio...and in Apartheid SA ...it was bull like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, ...nevertheless i knew that that was the type of sound i related to. So throughout primary school battles i was reciting rhymes that i heard on the radio...

Come 1999...i gained access into the hip hop world through friends that i met in high school. They checked what i was listening to and told me to throw that is outta my mind. And they started "operation pimp his mind"... i had to travel back and listening to all the ish i had missed for the past couple of years... Illmatic, Gangstarr, ATCQ, etc etc...

Cliche time: And the rest is history
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind