Africasgateway.com

The Glitz Mixtape....Coming soon

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
^^ true dat. we need to get our marketing up to scratch, have u seen how america pushes their artists down our throats/ thats why we still buy more of them than local. not bcos our stuf aint tyt but cos thats wat we hear and see all the tym.

king david wer u been man? i thot u didn xist no mor... ;D
spread love in da music

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
these AG cats always take it negatively when i speak the truth.
or express what i see is happening!
im glad others are standing up and sayin " Cash is right, we agree"
Thats what hiphop needs.
Pyro is a perfect example - he bought my shit cos i been marketing myself right here on AG. he dont even like me! but he copped the disc!
Sad thing is - I like Proverb, but i aint rushin to go cop his album anytime soon.
The last two albums i copped was Kanye n Fifty.
Do the maths,they marketing was tight!
the albums were tight!
the timing was right!
they created enough buzz!

Its not all about sales - but if u have a message to put across in ur music - the amount of attention u generate helps u spread ur message! thats the void these dudes are failing dismally to fill.
bottom line.
I aint hating!
but the truth is, MUCH MORE PEEPS is lookin out for MORALE than any of these cats who BEEN out!
Way more cats is lookin out for the Monopoly!

These dudes, the so called HOT cats got bodied by Flabba!
Meanwhile Jozi is makin real good moves! Competing with Other Artists from Other Genres! not jus limited to hiphop circles!

They actually bringin hiphop to the rest of the country(outside of 1970 - 1985 HEADS), as opposed to the Tumi's n Zubz'z who kwaito,house,afro pop,house, parents,younger kids,etc listeners would never give time of day! real talk!

we need a NEW ENERGY and vigour about our hiphop!
yall actin like them old a** geysers in the ANC! scared of lettin the young bucks redefine the struggle! yall still stuck in Apartheid mentalities!

I have this strange sense that im seen as the opposition on AG!
Im not!
Im on ur side! taking hiphop to the next level!
Arent u f***s tired of hiphop being overlooked and undermined!
If you are! Let me lead the New Era!
Let niggas like Morale, Koli the Kid,Sean Pages, K9 th Pedigree, Igho, Jozi...take this shit to new heights!
Let Proverb, Tumi,Zubz,Skwatta,Prokid,etc.fall a bit back, n guide the new generation by sharing honest and openly,the mistakes they have made and make sure the future dont repeat their errors!

Lets stop hatin on new cats for lookin fly(image wasnt so important then....the old cats made the mistake of not adapting to change, let the new cats embrace change!)

Lets not hate new cats for havin that swag(personality sells...the old cats didnt learn that fast enough! the shy rapper thing got played out! let us TALK our MINDS!)

Lets not hate new cats for havin more business savvy(contrary to popular local beleif,hiphop IS A BUSINESS! the old cats took it for granted,we cant repeat the mistake)

Lets not hate new cats cos they havin more fun(the older cats were too serious, when the music consumer generally jus wants to have a good time and party to music, not constantly be lectured!)

Lets not hate on Hiphop in America, Lets LEARN from them!(in any industry,sport,entertainment, business,etc...these guys are leading! we need to learn how they do it! only then we can do it better!) - niggas like sliqour are wrong when they say, their bastardised version of hiphop is more appealing to SA people, he lying! American hiphop is by FAR outselling local hiphop! No SA cat can fill up a venue....but ANY American Artist CAN! Lets stop lyin to ourselves and tell the new cats the TRUTH!
@cash_sog

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
cash... im touched man. i cud feel ur heart man...  :'(

*fist 2 mouth, tear in eye

the truth..... the wonderful painful truth....

i, i, im speechless niggar. dis 1st tym i c u make sense in a serious topic. there's hope.  ;D
spread love in da music

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
How about if we had a fair and level playing field in the form of SA music quotas?

This issue really makes my blood boil. South Africa does actually have a 25% local music quota but according to the South African Music Quota Coalition, it is regularly ignored, “due to loopholes such as playing local content in the early hours of the morning, non-enforcement, and being allowed to use gig guides and interviews to offset their quota.”

The government needs to wake up and realise that without a strictly enforced local music quota (personally, I think 70% would be good), they are promoting and sustaining a culture of inferiority around local music and creating conditions that make it almost impossible for our talented industry to grow. A quota imposed on our media would force the majors in South Africa to invest in our local product.

We have been conditioned to believe that ‘local’ is inferior because we are brainwashed by foreign concepts of what constitutes good music. It wouldn’t be so bad if niche music was being imported, but we are subjected to the worst kind of lowest common denominator pop music from overseas.

The local music industry takes the path of least resistance. The ‘big four’ aka the ‘majors’ (Sony BMG, EMI, Universal and Warner) are more than happy to keep subjecting us to this barrage of foreign mediocrity because it’s easy money for them. All the hard work has been done overseas (the slick production, the expensive videos and the marketing campaigns). They are simply maximising the return on their investment and who can blame them?

Total domination of our media is ensured by the fact that our media relies on the major’s content to survive. In effect, the South African media works for the majors. Impose quotas on the media and the majors will be forced to invest locally or die.

The foreign domination of our media also means that South African niche music is effectively marginalised out of existence, distorting our local music industry and killing creativity. Only the most mainstream and superficial South African music has any chance of competing and surviving.

The more effectively you copy the foreign imports, the more likely you are to gain acceptance in this paradigm. Just look at two of our most popular RnB singers, Danny K and Loyiso - they are simply imitating a tried and tested formula from the US.

When the majors do get involved with local music, it is often done with no vision or commitment. Look how ineptly Pro Kid, one of our brightest South African Hip Hop talents, was treated. Gallo half-heartedly marketed him (only producing 1 video for Heads and Tales) before putting out DNA, a rushed second album with even less promotion - no video, no tours and limited radio play (I still haven’t heard one track from that album). Pro Kid is now signed to TS Records, an independent label, where hopefully he will enjoy more success.

It’s a vicious circle of the most simple and effective kind. Our artists struggle to get their music played on radio or TV, therefore the potential fans don’t know their music is out there, therefore they don’t buy it. Distributors won’t support local music because ‘it doesn’t sell’. It doesn’t sell because people don’t know it exists. Only quotas will break this circle.

The problem is definitely not that we don’t have the talent. We have artists on Pioneer Unit whose music is played regularly on the BBC in the UK, and who have performed at Glastonbury (amongst other places). Influential radio DJ Mary Anne Hobbs, who has been likened by many to the legendary John Peel, described our own Ben Sharpa and KONFAB as “two of the most inspired and agile lyricists in the world today” yet neither can get their music played on SA radio because it ‘doesn’t fit the format’.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
D got a HUGE point there!
cats like pro kid shud step up n say, yo, young blood, this is how i f***ed up! DONT GO THAT ROUT!
do it like this!
We mustnt jus lie and act like its all good!
How do we explain that cats like Konfab and Ben Sharpa cant get no airplay in SA but get mad play in the UK? shits rediculous!

We need change!!!!!!
Let me and others lead the way!
@cash_sog

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
How do we explain that cats like Konfab and Ben Sharpa cant get no airplay in SA but get mad play in the UK?

i was starting to be impressed. on some 'it' has a brain afterall...and then suddenly...the mask fell off...exposed...nig is stupid...wat a question...they only gettin madd play there because of their boy Damian...nothing else...
 am hell behold!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
How do we explain that cats like Konfab and Ben Sharpa cant get no airplay in SA but get mad play in the UK?

i was starting to be impressed. on some 'it' has a brain afterall...and then suddenly...the mask fell off...exposed...nig is stupid...wat a question...they only gettin madd play there because of their boy Damian...nothing else...

no. they getting airplay in the uk because they are hot, and because they fit within a niche that is established. a niche that is obliterated by majors and their lowest common denominator product in SA.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:03:38 PM by Dplanet »

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
Good points from both D and
the Swagger boy
aka Mr Blingaka Mr Frozen arms
aka King of The ECaka Hiphop is US
aka f*** the old schoolaka lets not hate on the new school
aka we need changeaka just copped fresh kicks

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:10:09 AM by Tornado »

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
u can full some not me. its only because they riding ur grimmey dirty rascal beats. that compromise them as real underground artists...that techno bull u ppl regard as beats has transformed Kaptain to a Rato featuring artist...
 am hell behold!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
 ;D nuwep***....dog, u jus sound bitter!
why u mad man! did Damian turn u down on a beat?
hahahahhahahahhahaha.

ps. im sure the artists ur talking about are very happy with the music their making! unless of course Damian is the White version of Suge Knight! ;D
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
u can full some not me. its only because they riding ur grimmey dirty rascal beats. that compromise them as real underground artists...that techno bull u ppl regard as beats has transformed Kaptain to a Rato featuring artist...

that 'techno' as you like to call it, is one of foundation sounds of hip hop. my sound is a direct descended from afrika baambaata. My name is even a homage to Planet Rock. 'techno' is actually black music from the ghettos of detroit - it may not be your thing, but only supreme ignorance could explain your sadly misplaced arrogance. Or as KONFAB might say, "you possess a false sense of self-importance, and you ain't SHIT." :)

Kaptin's sound as a producer is also rooted in the same tradition. I haven't forced him in any direction - he was on that tip before we even met. Same with KONFAB.

What is this 'pure' underground sound you refer to anyway?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:19:23 PM by Dplanet »

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Dplanet, now dude I hear what you're saying and I agree with it - for the most part. I do remember that you have mentioned the issue of quotas within South African music and, as I continue to do now, disagreed with you.

Yet, there is benefit derived from imposing quotas in the media - with specific regards to the music industry, one can't help but question what the unintended consequences would be. I do understand that there are endless frustrations when a B-grade international product is pa**ed off as something of any integrity, and thus insulting the majority of the consumers and undermining our own artists. Please be warned that I use the term 'artist' with a level of curiosity and caution. But as I have said in previous discussions on the topic, it does tend to go both ways. As long as certain people believe that this is the easiest means of making money there will be more harm done by quotas. It would be good if we could rely on the market i.e album sales to deter those producing an inferior product from further participation within the industry. That is a luxury we can ill afford. It is reasonable to see a mushrooming of 'local' procducers and production houses punting an originally South African product - of course all criticisms are to be suspended until further notice, we have afterall only just been allowed our voice as a trully local industry.

I also find it hard to agree with the idea that majors would have to adapt or die. They would readily starve the artist - and the dying would be that of the artist. Of course it is much harder to predict the outcome of such things. I do believe that if they are pushed, they can push back with much more affect. An alternative industry needs to be created under the majors - not above them or in direct conflict to them, nor to replace them even. As it currently stands there isn't a large enough network that can constitute this alternative to the majors. Yes we call companies like TS independents - they fail to offer credible alternatives. I tend to believe that that are 'majors' in the minors - a bunch of people with fluid business ethics and military insurgent-like advertising and promotion. They would ideally love to be majors but they are content with scrambling for the crumbs at the lower end of the table.

In essence what I'm trying to contribute to this discussion is that ultimately one has to be aware of what the results of quotas could bring about - whether intended or not. How does one hold the media accountable to a potentially restrictive concept? And is it as possible (never easy) as you make it seem?
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

Yung Zooloo

• REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Keep the hustle going Zee-Supreme. There is no music in SA right now that your
hustling cat who really has a f*** the law mentality can listen too.
We different like that...but yeah its all about whether people believe you or
they wana be you, thats the only way you gona move units, whether
conscious hip hop or hustler mentality hip hop! You really gotta connect with the
people. A lot of rappers here in  SA got skills but they fall short of the other
qualities......

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
D got a HUGE point there!
cats like pro kid shud step up n say, yo, young blood, this is how i f***ed up! DONT GO THAT ROUT!
do it like this!
We mustnt jus lie and act like its all good!
How do we explain that cats like Konfab and Ben Sharpa cant get no airplay in SA but get mad play in the UK? shits rediculous!

We need change!!!!!!
Let me and others lead the way!

This is hilarious as jayz on the black album begging to be everyones top ten lists.....
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile

Molo, Dumelang, Sanibona, Hi, Hello, Hoe gaan julle

All I see and been seeing for a while is that there's no unity in S.A hip hop. People hating on each other or artists hating on each other for no reason. Not because of competition, just pure hate. As for me, I think I do understand what D and Cash been saying on this thread I value the opinions. What I do not get is why don't artist argue towards a solution, instead of arguing for arguing's sake. Calling each other brainless and stupid. As a consumer, and I speak for all consumers, especially the young kids who are influenced by the statements made on these type of conversations. My question is: how do you expect a 12 to 16 year old person to buy a S.A hip hop CD if you still calling each other stupid. Recall these people look up to you and you inspire some of them. So how do you expect them to continue do what they suppose to do. And for the adults who are consumers of simply good music/the general adult public. How are they going to buy S.A music. As for me, even though am not that clever, I wouldn't spend even my ten rands on a stupid person. Nah I wouldn't. And you wouldn't to.

As for Cash, I get the point of people stepping back. But I also think you should think about how you put your message out. Cos for most people, especially the fans of the people you saying they must step back, they become pissed off. As a result they respond with emotions. Emotions based on the fact that they a**ume you disregard their icons and that you may be thinking you are the big fish in the pond.

And finally, we as the hip hop community need to see hip hop as music. Yeah, there's a struggle involved. Yeah people need to be educated through music. And yeah, we need to keep the true elements living. But we need not to forget that it's still music and music is for the people. All people, not just a sub-culture. It's entertainment for everyonel. It's no island. Even Jamaica made reggae, not for the rastas and their country only, but for the global community. The heads need to recognise that. Or they need to be schooled on that. Like Teezer would say: we need to see our selves as part of the world.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:44:30 PM by Beesting »
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala