• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
TOday is MLK day in the United States of America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Day

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a United States holiday marking the birthdate of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., observed on the third Monday of January each year, around the time of King's birthday, January 15. It is one of four United States federal holidays to commemorate an individual person.[1]

King was the chief spokesman of the nonviolent civil rights movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. He was a**a**inated in 1968.

The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honor began soon after his a**a**ination. Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed in 1986. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

The importance of Civil Rights movement cannot be underestimated for without it African Americans would not have "equal" rights as we know them today.
Arguably opportunites for African American advancement such as those manifested in Hip Hop culture would not be here without the work of Dr King.

Sadly a lot of American Institutions (including my present employers) still do not recognize the holiday. ???

Know.The.Ledge.

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
thanks!
i didnt know this.
very informative.

solarman

• "4ROM CHAOS 2 COSMOS"
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-4
    • View Profile
    • Son of the Soil
azanian souljahs,,

ye man, its good to know these things, appreciate the article!

aluta continua :D ;)
Mathintela

norman_bates

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"THE NORM"

Okay so I am not the biggest perve (you'll be surprised to find out), and you aren't the biggest pron addict to ever hit the streets - so who is? I'll tell who is. GOD is. Oh wait I'm not meant to say things like that. Ha!!!

Okay maybe I will not even finish this blog because I will be struck by lightining and lose control of my bowel movements while my blood boils within my skin, and then maybe bleed a mixture of my liquified brains and skull through my facial pores - I'm waiting for that one. Imagine this - there are a fraction under seven (7) billion people on this earth, and who's been there watching the fornication from number one? Yes you guessed it - GOD. He's a nasty pron addict - he watches you shower, shag and jack off. Is that not sick? Or maybe he's way of keeping an eye on us is not by warning us against that car that comes careering around the bend only to leave us paralysed from the nose down. He'd prefer to watch your sister being eaten by some dude you disapprove of and your mother blowing her boss - or your 'real' father depending on which one makes you sleep easier at night. This perv really knows how to entertain himself.

So who's the biggest perv? Not norman_bates. Not you even. It's him!!! Call me a blasphemous c*** who will forever burn in hell!!! It's true though.
What goes up . . . better doggone well stay up!"

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
^^
huh?

Nominee for 'off topic' of the year..lol.. only 3 weeks in..

"I don't care where you live in America, if you're on Martin Luther King Boulevard, there's some violence going on." (c) Chris Rock...

lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

solarman

• "4ROM CHAOS 2 COSMOS"
  • AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • Son of the Soil
"THE NORM"

Okay so I am not the biggest perve (you'll be surprised to find out), and you aren't the biggest pron addict to ever hit the streets - so who is? I'll tell who is. GOD is. Oh wait I'm not meant to say things like that. Ha!!!

Okay maybe I will not even finish this blog because I will be struck by lightining and lose control of my bowel movements while my blood boils within my skin, and then maybe bleed a mixture of my liquified brains and skull through my facial pores - I'm waiting for that one. Imagine this - there are a fraction under seven (7) billion people on this earth, and who's been there watching the fornication from number one? Yes you guessed it - GOD. He's a nasty pron addict - he watches you shower, shag and jack off. Is that not sick? Or maybe he's way of keeping an eye on us is not by warning us against that car that comes careering around the bend only to leave us paralysed from the nose down. He'd prefer to watch your sister being eaten by some dude you disapprove of and your mother blowing her boss - or your 'real' father depending on which one makes you sleep easier at night. This perv really knows how to entertain himself.

So who's the biggest perv? Not norman_bates. Not you even. It's him!!! Call me a blasphemous c*** who will forever burn in hell!!! It's true though.

azanian souljahs,

this is a logical blog site, not some dumpster that anyone can use to chuck kaka!~!@!! not sure what this dude was trying, but it aint working!!!

aluta continua
Mathintela

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
that dude has been on AG for ages and thats all he does everytime he posts. just ignore him.

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Happy MLK Day to all, wherever you are!!! But anyways now that you look at it
40 years after Kings a**asination, we actually have an Afro-American running for
president (even though this wasn't the first time) and he's almost close (with Hillary
in the way, she's ok though).........

but outside of this topic, I just gotta say GO GIANTS!!!!!! I know this site is in Africa
but I just had to show pride for my favorite American Football team now that
they're headed to the Super Bowl. I hope they sqwash the Patriots!! 

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
" Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I don't know much about MLK day but I liked this response from Rhymefest on OKP:

"Judging by the current state of affairs and our music and culture, sometimes I find myself pondering this: what would Dr. King say if he was an emcee today? In fact, he'd probably sound a little something like this:

"I have a dream. A dream that one day little Soulja Boys and Soulja Girls can coexist side by side on commercial radio and BET with the likes of Rhymefest and Little Brother. I have a dream that conscious rappers will wakeup and all work together as a cohesive unit that repels the forces of ignorance. No, not for the sake of crushing all ignorance. For Lil' Boosie has his place in this world! However, it is high time he be balanced out by Sean Price who can wipe himself down just as effectively if given the opportunity!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I say to you that these labels have given these rappers an advance that has come back marked insufficient funds! I have a dream that one day the children of Geto Boy South can truly coexist with the offspring of Public Enemy East—which would create a West Coast where you could feel safe with your chain after the Soul Train Awards. Thereby making the sun shine a little brighter the next day.

I have a dream that one day Down South rappers, radio, and DJs will stop condoning mediocrity, acting as if it is just expression. No my friends. Wackness is just wackness, no matter how you slice it. We must lift our brothers up in lyric and spirit. Not as a way to beat them down, but as a way to help them up. We must stop condoning female emcees that act anything other than Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah, or MC Lyte-ish. Failure to do this will surely result in the death of our craft.

I have a dream that one day fans will judge an artist not by his first week unit sales, but by the content of his album. A dream that the music consumer will not steal music with the belief that we as artists can afford it, and they as thieves deserve it. Especially if said artist is from the Midwest! ((wink wink)) Dreams are not meant to live only when you sleep, but are possible realizations in our conscious lives. We must stop being fearful as artists, record execs, and fans. For fear is false emotions that appear to be real!
We must combat the lie that people don't want nutrition in their entertainment diet. For I declare to you today that Talib Kweli had a bigger first week than Swizz Beats! Now how important is the money in the bank?

Common's Finding Forever sold more than when Huey Pop, Locked, and Dropped it, but you wouldn't know that judging by radio airplay. There is a reason Kanye sold more records than 50 Cent. My brothers and sisters, true art cannot be defeated.

While we love all of our brothers and sisters in hip hop, and we wish them all the best, we must also realize that in 2008 we have been left with a sore need for positive balance. If these changes in our perceptions and attitudes are not implemented immediately then I regret to inform you that our beloved hip hop will be relegated to the same obscure dungeon as blues and jazz.

However, we can join forces---Midwest, Down South, West Coast, and East Coast…hold each other to high standards of lyricism, production, and stage performance. Stop letting that A&R who is a mountain climber that plays an electric guitar tell YOU what the hood wants, and make that conscious decision to give the people what they need.

On this day we will stand in a cipher old school and new school alike and spit in those famous words of Dynomite to all of those who are left behind us you a soft-a** nigga, you a mark, you a gump. f***in lame, you a coward, you a punk, you a chuuump!
I have a dream."

Get ready for the Revolution. El Che!

Peace,

Rhymefest a/k/a El Che"
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
thought MLK was almost infallible is the eyes of all until I saw this...

off topic, i know. But you gotta love the sheer comedy...fundamentalist punkery.

'sides all that...peace to Dr Kayng.

solarman

• "4ROM CHAOS 2 COSMOS"
  • AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • Son of the Soil
I don't know much about MLK day but I liked this response from Rhymefest on OKP:

"Judging by the current state of affairs and our music and culture, sometimes I find myself pondering this: what would Dr. King say if he was an emcee today? In fact, he'd probably sound a little something like this:

"I have a dream. A dream that one day little Soulja Boys and Soulja Girls can coexist side by side on commercial radio and BET with the likes of Rhymefest and Little Brother. I have a dream that conscious rappers will wakeup and all work together as a cohesive unit that repels the forces of ignorance. No, not for the sake of crushing all ignorance. For Lil' Boosie has his place in this world! However, it is high time he be balanced out by Sean Price who can wipe himself down just as effectively if given the opportunity!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I say to you that these labels have given these rappers an advance that has come back marked insufficient funds! I have a dream that one day the children of Geto Boy South can truly coexist with the offspring of Public Enemy East—which would create a West Coast where you could feel safe with your chain after the Soul Train Awards. Thereby making the sun shine a little brighter the next day.

I have a dream that one day Down South rappers, radio, and DJs will stop condoning mediocrity, acting as if it is just expression. No my friends. Wackness is just wackness, no matter how you slice it. We must lift our brothers up in lyric and spirit. Not as a way to beat them down, but as a way to help them up. We must stop condoning female emcees that act anything other than Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah, or MC Lyte-ish. Failure to do this will surely result in the death of our craft.

I have a dream that one day fans will judge an artist not by his first week unit sales, but by the content of his album. A dream that the music consumer will not steal music with the belief that we as artists can afford it, and they as thieves deserve it. Especially if said artist is from the Midwest! ((wink wink)) Dreams are not meant to live only when you sleep, but are possible realizations in our conscious lives. We must stop being fearful as artists, record execs, and fans. For fear is false emotions that appear to be real!
We must combat the lie that people don't want nutrition in their entertainment diet. For I declare to you today that Talib Kweli had a bigger first week than Swizz Beats! Now how important is the money in the bank?

Common's Finding Forever sold more than when Huey Pop, Locked, and Dropped it, but you wouldn't know that judging by radio airplay. There is a reason Kanye sold more records than 50 Cent. My brothers and sisters, true art cannot be defeated.

While we love all of our brothers and sisters in hip hop, and we wish them all the best, we must also realize that in 2008 we have been left with a sore need for positive balance. If these changes in our perceptions and attitudes are not implemented immediately then I regret to inform you that our beloved hip hop will be relegated to the same obscure dungeon as blues and jazz.

However, we can join forces---Midwest, Down South, West Coast, and East Coast…hold each other to high standards of lyricism, production, and stage performance. Stop letting that A&R who is a mountain climber that plays an electric guitar tell YOU what the hood wants, and make that conscious decision to give the people what they need.

On this day we will stand in a cipher old school and new school alike and spit in those famous words of Dynomite to all of those who are left behind us you a soft-a** nigga, you a mark, you a gump. f***in lame, you a coward, you a punk, you a chuuump!
I have a dream."

Get ready for the Revolution. El Che!

azanian souljahs,

this is one of the most politically correct yet mc inspired piece of scripture i have come across and actually read in a while. keepit burning!!!!

aluta continua
Mathintela

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
"THE NORM"

WTF? ??? ??? ??? ???

crus-ou

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile