Africasgateway.com

Yo favourite duo's or groups

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
....with regards to the MONOPOLY....... The mixtape had to be stopped in its tracks! we sold approx. 100 copies.period!

Funny how I always thought MONOPOLY sold more than I did with all the hype...but I outsold it... :-\
CASH! You need to seriously do something...you got potential man....why the hell did you just let it sell itself and continue working? Scared ppl might call it a flop?

.....Lets put it this way.....out of all the groups out in 07, Jozi WON!
The rest,including the Monopoly, LOST!
Lets see who makes it on top in 08!

I want to question this statement by asking on what other term except monetary, did JOZI win?

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile

G Unit is on fire with their new mixtape too. Banks,Fif and Yayo! TOO ILL!

I dont have a fav artist or duo or something, i like every rapper's music thats dope.

But that G-unit Body Snatchers mixtape is ill maan,The first track and the Mechanic dope tracks!!!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
like i said, we STOPPED production on the MONOPOLY MIXTAPE after a month of release!
and YES! in my eyes it was a flop because of how Young Doodoo left! shud hav had him sign a CONTRACT before release! but i took his word as a man that he is DOWN. bitch nigga had his own agendas all along.
u live and u learn!

as for JOZI, they caked in in 07, they got all the MAJOR SHOWS, they performed at MOST BIG EVENTS like Award shows,etc, gettin mad PRESS, got crazy RADIO PLAY on MOST STATIONS,they took live performance to another level, got connects in the rest of africa and are releasing theyre album in the UK now! their album got major distribution all over the country,and they got a few nominations as well!

Dude,face the TRUTH. they did what we all FAILED TO DO! BLOW UP NATIONALLY! they WON in 07 PERIOD!
know ur opponents or you will lose!
they runnin shit right now! and definitely bodied 07!

i openly admit my failures cos im mature enough to know that every failure is a great opportunity to grow and learn!do the same.OKAY
@cash_sog

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Yup.. Jozi did have the industry in a choke hold.. Pity it did not translate into big sales? Did they go GOLD/Platinum?

Or was it just media platinum?

@Cash, would it be considered a failure if with all that publicity, and support, that if it came out that someone like lets say Zubz, with not as much publicity, and support outsold them..
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
if zubz outsold anybody, that wud be an achievement for him.
it wud be a failure for ME, if he outsold me ;) when i drop my SOLO album.
cos my AIM (as a solo artist)is to outsell everybody! im SALES DRIVEN WHEN I DO SOLO MATERIAL! I GOT DEM RINGTONES BABY!!!! :D I GOT DAT NEW DANCE!!! :D I GOT DAT SWAG! I GOT DEM LADIES SOFT SWEET RADIO FRIENDLY ONES!!! ;)

by outselling everybody im not jus talkin bout hiphop cats! im talkin KWAITO,HOUSE,RNB and AFRO POP! i cant f***s wit local JAZZ and GOSPEL! LOL ;D it wud be an achievement getting half the gospel sales!  ;D ;D ;D ;D but eventually tho........

ps. did yall hear jubjub on EMS, he said he sold 25K.
HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!!!
its the new catch phrase for 08!
I sold 25k(exactly 25k,no more no less!) :D
niggas need to stop lying!
@cash_sog

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
....... Pity it did not translate into big sales? Did they go GOLD/Platinum?

Or was it just media platinum?

@Cash, would it be considered a failure if with all that publicity, and support, that if it came out that someone like lets say Zubz, with not as much publicity, and support outsold them..

Good Questions!!! :o :o

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
@Cash. Fair comments but i have to say though that Mycbeth is a monster (skill,structure n delivery he's tops!) n Nveigh pipped everyone to the Niknaks 30K competition. I wouldnt quick to say i'm better than them, they've acheived more than i have. They made a great team, hence everyone keeps mentioning them. When people talk about the anvilz, they're not talking about me. It's Mycbeth and Nveigh who did all the spadework. I'll bring a bit of my own style to the group but these dudes have people in places pe, polokwane, cape town, jhb spittin' their lines. Perhaps the reason they didnt maximise on  the hype they had created was due to Mycbeth's sudden departure from the crew (he had good reasons). As for Jozi, i can't argue with you there but we can't all be muthaland crunkers. They're good at what they do and that's that (i wonder if they sold more than 5k). You made some solid points so im covered.
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
when i say UR A BETTER RAPPER i mean that u have in my opinion, more content(Nv and Mac seem limited to witty punchlines and memorable one liners)
U seem to have more to say about rap/hiphop in general(politics),u spit on subjects like,the groupies, street shit, hustlin etc. and u carry a certain swagger about u. U also are a FRESHER nigga and u got that FLOW and good voice!

Mac is lacking in ALL the above qualities.
but yes, i agree,he has achieved a lot, but within a punchline/battle emcee scope.
His potential beyond that is VERY limited(eg. canibus,jin,papoose,etc....the potential to BLOW UP FURTHER IS QUESTIONABLE!) His departure might have been a blessing.

Nveign i just cant see making a HIT RECORD on his own,or at all maybe. He reminds me of them guys who battle on SMACK DVD's. at the end of the day,they are dismal when put in the studio to record a RECORD. they can record battles and mixtape material fo sho, but a RECORD? im not sure. He will have a very difficult time crossing over! But if Nveign cud get a mixtape DJ/producer and start bangin out mixtape material like every month, he cud make HUGE moves like the likes of Lloyd banks n Whookid,Pap n Flex,Saigon n Jus Blaze,etc.

I think u(Blakles)have the potential tho to take the Anvils to the MARKET! to give them that crossover appeal. Its like putting Fabolous with Papoose. BANG!!!! that cud work!
Kinda like what Meth did for Wu-Tang.

ps. we definitely cant all be Motherland Crunkers.hahaha. theyre bordering on a bit gay. im a more street hustle/swag type of cat too! i aint dancin round the stage any time soon. but they have opened the competition up as far as creativity and FRESHNESS! u gotta admit Da Les is killin us with tha gear man!

Glad to see u aint jus dismissin my posts as jus hating! thats never my intention.
peace
@cash_sog

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
In fairness i think Mycbeth is a better song writer than Cash and a whole lot of other rappers in the industry. Max is a unique character but he is very intelligent, Don't be fooled by what you have heard or what you think you know about him..  homie knows how to write songs.

The Anvils stuff is by far not his best work, but theres a lot of compromise that happens when ur in a group environment, and i just think its unfortunate that people haven't got to see how gifted he is.

Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
The Anvils are very good. I don't think we've heard the best from them yet. I haven't really heard an Anvils, Mycbeth or Nveigh song that makes me sit up and go, "Oh, shit!" It's all been very pleasant, very solid, very unsurprising hip-hop. They've got what it takes to make incredible songs, but they need to really start getting creative.

Nothing wrong with a bit of home cooking every now and then of course.  ;D
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
I definitely agree with you Rob.. The EP was not that great. They had asked me to review it for them when it came out and i gave them 2.5 out of 5. That rating i felt was generous and purely based on their potential, which was not reflected in it.

Its really not their best work. Both Beth and NV are capable of dropping much better material.

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Das Efx
Slum Village
Foreign Exchange
LoopTroop

Honorable mention

Kriss Kross ;)

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
i think macbeth is a great LYRICIST, but a SONG WRITER. NO WAY!
the key ingredient to being a great songwriter is versatility.
I havent heard ANYTHING by Macbeth, outside of Underground hiphop formulas.
I havent heard a club banger, a radio friendly track, a street anthem, a song about emotion(pain ,love(except for LOVE FOR HIPHOP OF COURSE), an RnB song, a personal song,songs fusing other genres....

ive written all the above(with MONOPOLY,NIGGA PLEASE,KINGDOM FALLS,SWEET SIXTEEN,I DO, YOUNG N FLY), and have even written dancehall songs(RudeGal by Big Buff), reggae songs (violent change, no easy walk to freedom) and when i felt like it, ive written Underground cla**ics, like A BOY! and CRACK 101! street anthems like GET YA MONEY!(dont front,that was FIRE!!!!)

u cant compare me to Macbeth. He probably a deep thinker.YES!
but can he write a HIT RECORD? i dunno! But i definitely have the potential to, if i havent already.

much luv to the dude tho. i do see what ur sayin nyambs,he seems like an artist who is holding back! maybe im wrong about him. but until he shows me the side that u obviously see, ive made my judgement based on his work that he's put out. FAIR?
@cash_sog