• REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
Yo,

I apologise for not putting this post up as per tradition...
We just moved to Parkview and have been off line since the move. Thank you for keepin it alive though.

Now, lets get into some immediate business. Jozi on the cover. Jozi is the hardest working, most committed and as a result, most successful group in the country today. As much as alot of us in this forum may not bump their tracks, they are felt nationally. This is as a direct result of their work ethic. No other group in the country can claim that or take that away from them right now.

Cats in SA like to run their mouthes, but never back it up with action. In the States, where there is a strong industry, cats run their mouth then counter what they consider wack with new music. Thats why theres an industry there. When an upcoming artist disses an established cat, he does it with his own complete album in hand. As you listen to him running his mouth, he's handing you his disc and taking your money. Wu Tang was tired of that soft, happy rnb rap they were seeing on TV, Mags and hearing on the radio. So what did they do? They countered it. They came out with Tims and swards on videos, and put that on TV, radio and print. It didnt end at them running their mouth about the Fresh Princes, MC Hammers and Heavy D's, they countered it and became as big as them, using a style that was complely different. So, if you have anything to say about Jozi, do exactly what they did. Follow their exact same pattern, but replace their music with the music you consider to be proper and anti-pop. Until then...

The covers... Always a tricky game. Ben Sharpa cover followd by Jozi. That is a complete 360. From deep underground to extremely mainstreem. Thats an inspired move right there. I would think smart cats would realise that it is an attempt to display the entire SA hip hop landscape fairly and evenly. Instead, cats would double up on the Sharpa and not the Jozi. It shows that HYPE is fair and gives equal opportunities and the consumer is the opposite.

Almost two years into this thing and I'm still hearing comments like "there is no Cape Town in the mag". I have never heard so much foolishness in my life. Quantify your argument. Cape Town takes up half the mag - from the mixtape to the editorial. We even took it upon ourselves to label each article so you can see which city the artists are from. Just incase you dont know certain cats from your home town. Open every mag from the past two years, get out an piece of paper and a calculator. Then go do your nails.

We plan to do a third local cover for April May, and again, it will be the hardest working artist(s) who are dominating the industry. If you want your favourate artist on the cover, tell em to work hard and tell em to dominate the industry the way these boys have.

Cash, you may be right about the mixtape. I hope to hear from the b-boys to see if we aint done that in vein.
Peace beloved

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
OOOHHHooo OOHHHHH!!!!
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Mr Dymize

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +1/-1
  • I Ain't New To This - I Stay True To This
    • View Profile

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
yo mizi,,, what's with the attitude, why you gotta be rude?

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Copped this yesterday. Scanned trough the CD. not that impressed on first listen. havent read the mag, but the cover looks dope. Will definately sell.
Mizi - the cover can be interpreted in a number of ways including these two.
1) The Sharpa edition did well, hence 2 local covers in a row (as promised).
2) Sharpa edition did not do well &  you are looking at Jozi (as the grouping making waves at the mo) to make a dramatic recovery.

Which one is even closely related to the truth? I hope the former.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Merchant,

December is generally a good month for magazine sales. Sharpa is not a well known mainstream artist therefor, the safest time to put a Sharpa cover on would be December. February is generally a bad month for mag sales - everybody is still recovering from their festive spending so a more popular cover is needed. We were not going to put Kanye on for the sake of keeping it local so we took Jozi for this period to keep it SA and still push units. As you knowm magazines like True Love Babe and Zoo have closed down as they couldnt stay afloat in this economic situation, and what Im trying to do amongst others is to keep our mag alive. Any mistimed decisions mean the cosing of magazines these days. Stakes is high yo.

Sharpa didnt do as well as expected butit pushed none the less. Still keeping us in our position as the fastest growing youth culture mag. Pushing 4 times what what the peeps at Ymag are doing... And I hear their coming out with a Jozi cover next month. Mshana is also doing Jozi for April. So ya, the rest follow

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Merchant,

December is generally a good month for magazine sales. Sharpa is not a well known mainstream artist therefor, the safest time to put a Sharpa cover on would be December. February is generally a bad month for mag sales - everybody is still recovering from their festive spending so a more popular cover is needed. We were not going to put Kanye on for the sake of keeping it local so we took Jozi for this period to keep it SA and still push units. As you knowm magazines like True Love Babe and Zoo have closed down as they couldnt stay afloat in this economic situation, and what Im trying to do amongst others is to keep our mag alive. Any mistimed decisions mean the cosing of magazines these days. Stakes is high yo.

Aight, that's good info, man. i see the logic.

Sharpa didnt do as well as expected butit pushed none the less. Still keeping us in our position as the fastest growing youth culture mag. Pushing 4 times what what the peeps at Ymag are doing... And I hear their coming out with a Jozi cover next month. Mshana is also doing Jozi for April. So ya, the rest follow

Word!

Da Intrikate

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
@ Mizi

I myself am in the media industry and would like to take my hat off to you in terms of your strategy, especial with True Love Babe and Zoo closing down. I have to admit I didnt understand your tactics at first, but now I see ur vision.

Big Up! ;)
 love black, I wish I was two shades darker

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
yo Mizi, i feel u dog. Very insightful and eye opening what u jus did. Nuff respect!
With regards to the mixtape, i just fealt that B-Boys dont NEED to get breaks n stuff by buyin HYPE, they get enough stuff from their own resident DJ's and the likes of Ready D are capable enough of droppin these type of mixtapes! if they gotta drop sum in HYPE,limit it to 1 or 2 tracks(bonus tracks) not half the tape :)
I just felt like the tape consisted of a few REGULAR names as usual(which took away from all the young hustlers tryin to get in the tape too"such as myself") and then the rest of the tape is DJ/b-boy stuff(which took away from even more young hustlers tryin to get sum), i just felt that feeling of gettin WINDED!
that thump in ya chest!
but like i said, n like u sayin now! NIGGAS JUS GOTTA PUT IN MORE WORK! i support that. n if it gets harder gettin a slot on the tape, niggas jus gotta work harder!
Maybe its a blessing in disguise! niggas will jus get hungrier n double up on their work!
We was at Top Stereo last night n we premeired 5 new SINGLES!
Thats the work ethic ur talkin bout n it can only be good for hiphop!
We came in and the entire interview we had ONLY Monopoly n CRACKBOYS material playin!
Who can say they got that much material that the DJ dont need to bump no other shit during an HR show!?

The mag was tight! The cover was a breathe of fresh air n a vote of confidence to the diversity in hiphop!

check out the Monopoly page n tell us what u think of the new mixtape comin in MArch! link below:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Monopoly/6546093955

@cash_sog

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
yo mizi, u gotta give props to all the niggas DOUBLIN UP as well!
Jus curious!
Is it possible for u guys to get stats on when a copy gets sold, to see how much copies are sold in two's or multiples at the tills!

It wud be interesting to see the ratio of Double/Quad ups VS single unit sales! ;D

Broke niggas VS Hustlas buying hype ;D
@cash_sog

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Peace.
Firstly, that CD Cover is excellent Cash. I see you doubling up on your work.

Yo, please can everybody pick up the latest YMag. It is a carbon copy of this issue's HYPE. Just pick it up and tell me if YMAG DONT NEED HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fungayi is the new editor

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
heard u and Fungayi went @ it yesterday on Y-FM ? wanna break it down for us Mizi ?
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon