Africasgateway.com

Sprite EMCEE Africa

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i have to agree,,, battling is a nice skill and it's fun for entertaining a crowd, but all too often it's just tired insults.

having said that, some people are very gifted at it. Adamus and Snazz probably deserve to be finalists - they are generally the smartest and hardest that i've heard in SA. Whether they are the best people to go on and make a track with Wordsworth is debatable, but it was a battle competition so there you go.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile

entrytools

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
i've been hearin that snazz is killin cats on the mic but i've never heard him really except that bull shit on One show> nuff props
quot;elohim! with the rhyme scheme
and when the lyrics leave the mouth they look lyk light beam,
with wings attached to the mic I say fly rhymes"

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
I was watching this with some ppl who arent into hip hop and they were telling how shamefull this whole battling thing is, dissing each other for no good reason. This is killing hip hop for real ya'll. why not unite and make it an african collaboration instead ?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I was watching this with some ppl who arent into hip hop and they were telling how shamefull this whole battling thing is, dissing each other for no good reason. This is killing hip hop for real ya'll. why not unite and make it an african collaboration instead ?

why not do both?

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com

why not do both?

Yip they should do both, because alot of careers have been started because of battles e.g Eminem, Jin, Proverb, Snazz
9 tha Pedigree

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i just watched the Nigerian battle. It was wack as hell. Snazz or Adamis would eat those cats for breakfast. No aggression, weak writtens, very few punchlines, hardly any interaction, no physical intimidation.

To be good at battling you have to be an immaculate freestyler, able to talk about what you see in front of you as though you were having a conversation. These guys were all desperately trying to string rhymes together, mostly abstract stuff that could apply to anyone (ie. i'll murder you, like i know kung-fu).

I haven't seen the other countries but if that was anything to go by, it's weak. I'm not a huge fan of battling, but when it's done well, it can be very entertaining. This was just embarra**ing.

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
i just watched the Nigerian battle. It was wack as hell. Snazz or Adamis would eat those cats for breakfast. No aggression, weak writtens, very few punchlines, hardly any interaction, no physical intimidation.

To be good at battling you have to be an immaculate freestyler, able to talk about what you see in front of you as though you were having a conversation. These guys were all desperately trying to string rhymes together, mostly abstract stuff that could apply to anyone (ie. i'll murder you, like i know kung-fu).

I haven't seen the other countries but if that was anything to go by, it's weak. I'm not a huge fan of battling, but when it's done well, it can be very entertaining. This was just embarra**ing.

yeah man, don't you think this a bad look for african hip hop ?

illmas

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Great thing SNAZZ proved to yall that he is the greatest PERIOD. but its a sad thing they didnt include Sudan in the battles, this is were the best battle MC dwell.

Jules Winnfield

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-2
  • Schizophrenic Tenant Number 1
    • View Profile
I was watching this with some ppl who arent into hip hop and they were telling how shamefull this whole battling thing is, dissing each other for no good reason. This is killing hip hop for real ya'll.

What a faggot! You clearly some band wagon jumping mother f***er, who only got into Hip Hop once climaxing after a 50 cent video!
How can you say battling is killing Hip Hop, it's the sole practice that basically built the Culture, weather you like it or not!

it's just now days battling locally doesn't get pushed to the limits anymore! I remember when the whack cats that got schooled, went home and became better Mc's just because of Battles!

Cape town is a fine example, if you were whack back in early 2000 and stepped up, cats let you know, you couldn't half step and you made an effort to come harder! saying shit like that just proves you new in the game! I also think the concept of battling has been lost here, cat's are way too sensitive and go home crying about what some cat said in a battle. It's not real beef... someone's just better than you on that given day, prove you better! And selling records has got nothing to do with it! It's a skill thing, and should be just that! Cats tryna put hooks in battles, WTF?!?

It's also just the Mc battles were all this soap opera shit goes down, peep a b-boy battle  in Cpt, cat's look like they gonna kill each other, every dancer is there to make the next cat look like a dick, then when it;s done... Every body cool with each other?

Battling is Hip Hop's Olympics, with out it some preppy A&R c*** that used to like kenny g is gonna dictate what Mc is dope

I'm down with unity and all but totally disregarding something that actually builds more than you making poppy watered down music, gets to me?!
When all this shit is over and done – I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherf***er.

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
Yo Raiko take it easy now on the Hip-pop cats.. As soon as you think 50 cent and soulja boy are the best thang that ever happend to hiphop then chances are you dnt knw shit bout hiphop..... Now fellas ill advise that we dont argue with the new generation hiphop cats coz you will never get anywhere and besides theres no such thang as a SMART RETARD

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
... oh and I almost forgot, the cat that won in Nigeria spent half the time he was battling with his eyes closed!!! WTF!!!! ???

I agree with Raiko that battling is one of the lost arts in South Africa, there's a lot of nice MCs who can't freestyle to save their lives. I haven't got a problem with that - just don't enter battles!

The ironic thing is that part of the prize is to do a track with Wordsworth who has got to be one of the illest freestylers on the planet. He spits easier than most cats string a sentence together while they talking. I've seen him live quite a few times and although there is a certain pattern to his freestyles, you can hear it's off the dome because of what he talks about - he says what he wants to, he doesn't say words just because they happen to rhyme with whatever came in the previous line.

It's a shame Trusenz didn't enter the SA leg, he would have bodied everyone in Nigeria without even trying.

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile
Peeped the Naija one yesternight (I fell asleep) So far of the countries I have peeped, the country which had the best contest was Tanzania. Didn't peep the SA one, has it been aired on Channel zero yet?.

J-oNE/Pat-B-Rick

• http://www.soundclick.com/J-oNERSA
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +17/-30
  • I got the coolest shower door in S.A
    • View Profile
    • Beatz for Africa
This whole thing was kinda embarrasin fa africa. Anyway y didnt mode9 battle. On ewok Hav any of u heard of pigmey, ewoks cousin. I think he better... He won th bling free contest a while ago. wel emcee africa was a failure. sa n naija werent too bad thou

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Pygmy is mad nice. Used to rock with him back in the day (we were at school together), dude can SPIT.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com