Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Sprite EMCEE Africa

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Shit was totally wack. What a waste of my time. Venue was wack,empty, sound was horrible.

Actually sound was not that horrible, i think the problem @ these gigs is not necessarily the equipment, but the engineers. The levels are just too loud, and this forces the MC's to start screaming and shit. People just start loosing interest cos they can't hear shit.

I though Pro held his own against Words, but how come Words went 2 rounds and Pro only 1 ? But like they said it was for the sport, guess they were just trying to save the night and entertain the crowd a little bit.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I wasn't there so can't comment with any accuracy, but it sounds like a kak situation. In a live battle situation you need good speakers, an engineer with a sensitive ear and some solid mics. Fall down on even one of these and it will f*** out.

The crowd needs to be able to not only hear what the MC is saying, but how he or she is saying it and how he or she responds to the beat. Pity this didn't happen.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

phunksuu

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
i was there
it and it was pretty bad
but i think it was made for T.V more than it was made for us (as the viewer/audience)!

its obvious that channel o will just manipulate the footage to make it look like it was on and cracking!

im happy we were there...so that we'r able to spread the gospel of its wackness!!!!

Anthony

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-8
  • Wisdom is knowing when you can't be wise!
    • View Profile
theholstar wrote:

Zimbabwe,Zambia,Malawi and a span of other countries were excluded because we do not have enough representation on Channel O, in terms of videos, shows...which is true. We need to work harder...We have the talent! Though i suspect it might have something to do with budgets...could be the best excuse i was given.

nyambz wrote:

Not sure, but i think their 54 Countries in Africa. It would be hard to cover all of them. I think they've done a good job with it, I think the countries that feel neglected need to write to the show and offer suggestions, so that should there be a Sprite Emcee Africa II, that its an even better success than this one. Theres never progress without feedback.

nice but that's not what happened.here's the excuse they gave us, and what was publish in our national daily:

Zimbabwe will not be represented in the inaugural Channel O "emcees" contest in which Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa and Zambia are taking part
Although Channel O, a satellite music television channel on DStv, has left Zimbabwe in the cold, the country has a pool of talented emcees among them Jah Seed of Bongo Maffin, Mischief and Mau Mau who have excelled not only in South Africa but throughout the region.

In a statement, the organisers said Zimbabwe was not considered because it had taken part in past programmes.

"In its programming Channel O tries to be as inclusive of every African country, but it is not possible to include each country in every initiative and project.

"In the past, Zimbabwe has featured strongly in various initiatives and projects and will do so again in months and years to come, but for this particular programme, Channel O is including for the first time Tanzania and Ghana as well as Zambia," they said.

However, the organisers urged Zimbabwean artistes to submit their music videos for screening on Channel O.

"The Zimbabwean audience is important to Channel O, as acknowledged by the presentation of an award to Oliver Mtukudzi in last year’s Channel O Awards.

"Zimbabwean artistes are continuously encouraged to submit their work to Channel O through MultiChoice Zimbabwe offices from where they can also obtain relevant documentation

http://www.zimgreats.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2235&Itemid=1

please, what past battles have we been included in?as far as budgets are concerned you tellin me its cheaper to get acts from tanzania when zim's the nearest north of your border?somebody please convince me and come up with the weirdest excuse.politics as usual.hey, somebody gotta tell it like it is...
Chosen

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
It always sucks when people give excuses with no merit.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile

.. And I really hated how American some of these contestants sounded..

This i find very irritating, why is this such a big issue for peeps? Is it wrong to sound 'American"?. When the late lucky Dube (R.I.P) did his reggae thing and others are like they sounded Jamaican, y'all had no problem with that. Another Nigga does his hiphop and sounds American, y'all hate, y?. Thats so like an old way of thinking, what if the Person grew up in the states and hence their accent changed as they adapted to that environment, what shud they do, force  him/herself to use the deep african accent?.

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
If you grew up in the states and happened to develop an American xmint... then I have no problem with that. However.. if you've never set foot in the states and you come off sounding like you're from Brooklyn.. I cant really vouch for that..

I was watching the crack-boys DVD the other day with this girl who was visiting from North Carolina... she actually thought that the dudes were American until someone told her it was local... besides.. how do you expect SA hip-hop to go global if were gonna give the international market regurgitations of US culture.. which they already get overdoses of?

lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
I think you have valid points about the accents thing. I think their some people who can pull it off, and others that cant. I think its ultimately about what you feel is the best way or the way in which your confident about expressing yourself.

Its important that we establish some sort of identity, if not with the accents then at least with the content and subject matter of the music.

Its unfortunate that rap gets the short end of the stick in this country, how many rock acts in SA sound like US rock acts? How many British R&B and Pop singers sound British when they sing?
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Tuboy

• http://www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-19
  • my heart is a house nucca, fear don't live here!
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
Even in soccer bro you don't hear people saying f*** Steve he's bending it like Beckham so f*** him! ;D ;D

I say if you comfy with what you doing then do it and i agree with Nyambs about the subject matter though!!
M Turn

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
there is absolutely nothing wrong with sounding American(its a HIPHOP ACCENT,not an American Accent) if you are a RAPPER! in fact, i prefer workin wit cats with a HIPHOP accent
whether or not u grew up in Gugz or the Bronx.

just like there is absolutely nothing wrong with African Soccer teams playin European Football.
If u sing Opera, u damn sure gone sound Italian.
If u sing RnB,no matter where ur from, u NEED to have an Rnb ACCENT! dress rnb,act rnb, talk rnb!

If u a businessman! u WILL be expected to speak the same language donald Trump speaks! dress the way he dresses,talk with a business accent!

If u a b-ball player, i suggest u play,talk,act,walk, like Michael Jordan!

Mimic the best in your field!
careful niggas! whoa! i aint sayin COPY! im sayin MIMIC!
its the best way to learn! Education is based on the concept of MIMICing.
Thats how we all learned to walk,talk and behave.

I think its great that that US chick thought we were from the US! ;D
and im glad our DVD is watchable with a female audience!
its positive good feedback.

I think cats like Nyambs said,some jus cant do it! SO they HATE ON IT!
I love the way Blakles sound on a beat! its fresh! its INTERNATIONAL!

As far as having an identity....i think its fake as sson as you consciously try to be "Proudly South African".... ur fakin to try get props for being South African! Simply bcos in SA we have this ANTI US thing, but we all eat,drink,sleep US products like a maf***er! ;D
hypocrites really!

i mean EMceeK, if u say, u gotta have been in America to speak in a US accent! then why dont u go on and say, u must have lived in America to EAT KFC? lol.

respect ur views tho, cos sum cats try to sound american when they aint comfortable with it,and it sounds a**! ;D

i think we watch enough american TV shows,play video games,listen to enough american music to incorporate the accents....it really has become a part of being South African honestly.

Jus do what ur comfortable with!
@cash_sog

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
there is absolutely nothing wrong with sounding American(its a HIPHOP ACCENT,not an American Accent) if you are a RAPPER!

As far as having an identity....i think its fake as sson as you consciously try to be "Proudly South African".... ur fakin to try get props for being South African! Simply bcos in SA we have this ANTI US thing, but we all eat,drink,sleep US products like a maf***er! ;D
hypocrites really!

You what?

Cash, buddy, surely even you must see the a**-backwards logic there.

So we're fake because we rap in the accents we have spoken in our whole lives, the accents that are relevant to our home country...
Yet you should be given props for sounding like something you are blatantly not.
*Thinks*
No, no, doesn't work.

Oh, and by the way, not everybody sleeps, drinks and breathes US products.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
Oh, and by the way, not everybody sleeps, drinks and breathes US products.

we all do in a way or another, theres no debating this

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
@ D_Planet

You see this is where hip-hop stops growning and we fall backwards. consider this.

The event provided no water or toilets for the contests to use (And the contenst make up 85% of the show)

Then the event gets bad sound low turn out.

You get taken out to Primie at Rosebank for an all expenses paid dinner only to find out that channel o has ordered 10 larg pizza's and 2 bowls of large fries (According to a reliable source)

Okay now where in all this do I get treated with respect?

Lets face it are you going sell your dignity and respect for $10k? and let people walk all over you?

For us to move forward we have to take ourselves seriously and get treated like professional artists!

What do you think?

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop

.. And I really hated how American some of these contestants sounded..

This i find very irritating, why is this such a big issue for peeps? Is it wrong to sound 'American"?. When the late lucky Dube (R.I.P) did his reggae thing and others are like they sounded Jamaican, y'all had no problem with that. Another Nigga does his hiphop and sounds American, y'all hate, y?. Thats so like an old way of thinking, what if the Person grew up in the states and hence their accent changed as they adapted to that environment, what shud they do, force  him/herself to use the deep african accent?.

true....

I think you have valid points about the accents thing. I think their some people who can pull it off, and others that cant. I think its ultimately about what you feel is the best way or the way in which your confident about expressing yourself.

Its important that we establish some sort of identity, if not with the accents then at least with the content and subject matter of the music.

Its unfortunate that rap gets the short end of the stick in this country, how many rock acts in SA sound like US rock acts? How many British R&B and Pop singers sound British when they sing?

tru

yep yep true

i say u f*** u if u have a prob wit ma accent blame my f***ing english teacher coz she used to pinch our arm pits till we spoke proper and lost that deep deep bantu accent....

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor

i mean EMceeK, if u say, u gotta have been in America to speak in a US accent! then why dont u go on and say, u must have lived in America to EAT KFC? lol.

Because rhyming and eating chicken are not the same thing.

You can tell in 5 seconds if an emcee is a bad boy Yardie.. France has the 2nd largest hip-hop industry and they dont even rhyme in English.. let alone American accents... they have a successful industry because theyre being themselves.. we dont have a successful industry because we're not being ourselves..
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog