HYPE Mag APR/MAY Issue - OUT NOW

mizi. · 154 · 36712

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
i feel u Rob.
I guess Mr Mizi, u got quite a hard job at ur hands man. I respect what uv done, nobody can deny that its a tough task pleasing south Africans!!!! maf***ers is MAAAD PICKY ;D

we were at the Rand Show n we sold out DVD's and CD's. but the funny thing is 95% of the peeps who copped was young chicks,
the niggas wanted to listen to every track,had a million questions as to WHY SHUD I COP THIS,what is this? what are yall rappin bout!etc. niggas is picky!

the honeys jus wanted to take pics with us n they cop!
Jus the packaging n our fly a** looks sold em!
We made mad Gwap!!!

check out www.demcrackboys.com n check out the pics!

I guess its jus tough pleasing errbody like u say Rob.and i agree, there must be a way tho!(to please more - not everybody, but MORE)
@cash_sog

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
The main problem here is this is all we are getting. If a tape is bad, its because submissions were bad. We dont produce anything on the tape. People send us stuff. If we dont have the fresh new age hip hop, its because I dont have it on my desk. I can only work with what I have. If the session is really sounding bad, we would call cats and ask for submissions. Glitterati only sent us that one joint by the way. I have a solution. CASH, why dont you a**emble fresh new age tracks from cats you know and trust. We can link and give them a listen. We will still use the system of geting tracks from all over because as Rob said, we have a journalistic duty, but in this, we may be leaving out an important element which I have no acess to at this point. So CASH, what you find might just fom 25% of the tape to represent that side. Lets see how that works out. nybody else with access to interesting styles of SA hip hop that have not been looked at, please holla.

I also agree with you CASH - on the point about pushing the "underdog's" single on the tape. Good point. Its just that I expected your singles to be on radio by the time we put your album cut on the session. Tbo Touch was giving you spins and I thought the playlist compiler would have put you on heavy spins. At the time, people were starting to hear Monopoy in the radio and we felt that that momentum would continue. I guess that was miscalculated. Conclusion is, the underdog should get his single on the tape while established cats get album cuts. This still doesnt solve the problem we have in SA. 95% of the demos i get are trash. Cats recording with hand held microphones next to full blast speakers. Cats recording entire tracks in one take, audibly pa**ing the mic for the next cat to spit his Tupac sounding sixteen. Cats who insist on rapping in english when they cant even construct a single sentance. You are welcome to come through and listen to all submissions from the past 6 months and you will hear how difficult its been to scrape these tapes together. But if we can link and share tracks, we can keep it moving.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:24:13 PM by mizi. »

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Hey Mizi, you know what? I got an idea. Just put my track Thunder God on the CD - it will be the best Hype CD ever of ever. You know it. ;D
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
Yo big Mizzle, i know you're doing the best you can but i doubt that getting Cash to help compile some of the tape is the best way forward. In doing so, you will have to level the playing fields by also letting the  "underground cat" compile his 25% as well. You might have a situation where everyone wants to compile and they'd be justified because Cash's selections form 25% of the tape. I think a better solution might be for Hype to get a panel of 3-4 people with different tastes to decide on joints. That way, it wont be easy to get on the tape. Cats will be forced to step their game up. If the tape, id be satisfied, even if half the joints dont suit my personal taste. This "new age" thing that Cash-money speaks of wont be an issue of the joints are heat.
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
I appreciate that MIZI.
Its a huge step for the mixtape and bridging the gap that is developing now within SA hiphop.
thats whats Crackin!
I will definitely get u quality music!!!

Just give me the deadlines and all necessary paperwork you will need(not much cos these young'ns is hustlin from ground zero, no label bullshit!)
lol. i used to be a radio dj in the EC.so i know what u mean about POOR quality submissions.hahhahahaha!!! its so true man! i threw outa lot of stuff! LOL.

I dont want nothing in return man! except ur word that these new niggas is gon get 25% of the tape period! i will personally A&R that 25% and submit to you personally a bunch of tracks. i also jus want yall to consider my input when yall compile the final tape that goes out. obviously not call any shots, jus recommendations,suggestions.thats all.

ps. i wudve appreciated it if u guys communicated with us about the calculations yall made on the Monopoly's behalf.
Imagine if u creating a lil buzz on radio,then other avenues close their doors in a sense becus they feel u gettin enuff luv from radio,unless communicated, it seems like ur hustling backwards,cos while u open sum doors,others close. its mad confusin!

like u said "Synergy"

thats what hiphop and media need to establish!
Hype is the BIGGEST bridge for this right now in SA!
U hold a lot on ur shoulders and thats why we all respect HYPE.
Thats why we always double up!
HYPE is the biggest most influential medium for HIPHOP in SA!

not kissing a** or nothing,but jus real talk!
I hope u serious about this,cos i can get it movin as fast as we got the mixtape,dvd and manufacturing plant done. im about that work ethic! and i'll put my own money behind it!
@cash_sog

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
^^^Please pardon the typos, these things happen.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
@Blakles, gud suggestion as well.
Im all for the 25% suggestion,cos at the end of the day i dont think any other cats have the drive to follow through and DO IT. I DO THINGS!!!
But if hype goes the panel of 4 route, i will offer myself in that panel as well!
Which ever way it goes, my sole purpose since day one is to catalyse change and progress!
if u look back in the past two yrs, thats exactly what ive done and dedicated myself to, whether it be radio(droppin quality hiphop songs, poineering the first hiphop show in Umtata), on AG(in changing views,opening debate and challenging the old and bringing in the new), on TV(dropping INTERNATIONAL quality videos,creating a new fresh IMAGE for HIPHOP), i bring something new and support progress.

What Mizi just suggested is progressive.Im all for it!and jus like everywhere else where ive effected change, i wud like to have the opportunity to do so with the HYPE mixtape.
@cash_sog

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
I hear you Cash but you and I are artists who look to be on the Hype sessions or even have our affiliates on there. That's why I dont think its wise for Hype to allow you anywhere near the tape.

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
I hear you Cash but you and I are artists who look to be on the Hype sessions or even have our affiliates on there. That's why I dont think its wise for Hype to allow you anywhere near the tape.

Good point, like when Mizi just joined Hype erbody thought that he was putting all his Cap City niggaz on, but on the real wat r we gonna do to change the Tape
9 tha Pedigree

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
quick note to Les, i dont think the 25% underground cat wud hav any basis cos even with cats gettin that new shit into 25% of the mixtape,the UG cats still get more than 50% of the content.

As is,they gettin close to 75% or more.
So by me A&R ing 25% i think that actually "evens out the playing fields as u say" to a certain degree.

why wud u want 25% when u already gettin 75%
As mizi said the tape is already structured MORE for the Underground(non  radio,non commercial scene) so their straight.

Its like BEE, or a quota system,all we askin is from practically 3%-8% per tape, we want 25%. We cant have now the majority also wanting a quota.they already have the biggest piece of the pie.

Ikota bra(25% qha!)thats all im askin fo.
jus a kota(with sum slap chips,achar,mince n sum polony) ;D
thats all

as far as me being an artist, i feel u. but like i said,thats why the 25% idea is better! i will merely SUBMIT tracks and give recommendations(not have a final say - i'll leave the compilers to decide what gets in,but at least the new cats will get an opportunity of 25% rather than almost nothing!!!)

and besides,as an artist u wana be involved more in other aspects as well, its not a good way of lookin at things, to limit urself simply because ur an artist u cant affect change. i see it differently. and im professional enough to be a rapper when i need to be, to be a producer when i need to be, to be a ceo when need, to be an investor when i need to be, to be an A&R. i dont mix things. just like Mizi can be friends with cats and still keep the magazines integrity in tact. its all about professionalism really.

I wud definitely like to see affiliates/peers such as urself in the tapes more, but merely because of the quality of music and talent u have. Its not my fault if im surrounded by,and work with the illest cats in the game ;) jokes
@cash_sog

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
quick note to Les, i dont think the 25% underground cat wud hav any basis cos even with cats gettin that new shit into 25% of the mixtape,the UG cats still get more than 50% of the content.

As is,they gettin close to 75% or more.
So by me A&R ing 25% i think that actually "evens out the playing fields as u say" to a certain degree.

why wud u want 25% when u already gettin 75%
As mizi said the tape is already structured MORE for the Underground(non  radio,non commercial scene) so their straight.

Its like BEE, or a quota system,all we askin is from practically 3%-8% per tape, we want 25%. We cant have now the majority also wanting a quota.they already have the biggest piece of the pie.

Ikota bra(25% qha!)thats all im askin fo.
jus a kota(with sum slap chips,achar,mince n sum polony) ;D
thats all

as far as me being an artist, i feel u. but like i said,thats why the 25% idea is better! i will merely SUBMIT tracks and give recommendations(not have a final say - i'll leave the compilers to decide what gets in,but at least the new cats will get an opportunity of 25% rather than almost nothing!!!)

and besides,as an artist u wana be involved more in other aspects as well, its not a good way of lookin at things, to limit urself simply because ur an artist u cant affect change. i see it differently. and im professional enough to be a rapper when i need to be, to be a producer when i need to be, to be a ceo when need, to be an investor when i need to be, to be an A&R. i dont mix things. just like Mizi can be friends with cats and still keep the magazines integrity in tact. its all about professionalism really.

I wud definitely like to see affiliates/peers such as urself in the tapes more, but merely because of the quality of music and talent u have. Its not my fault if im surrounded by,and work with the illest cats in the game ;) jokes

Educated Black man. LOL
9 tha Pedigree

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
I think the Hype CD needs to become more of an album than a compilation. As it is now, it is not a collectors item. It could become away if it became more special. It lacks anticipation because people have come to know what to expect of it. I think the CD should be made for the consumers instead of for the Artist.

I had an idea that i spoke to Mizi and Lez a while back about a way in which to make the Hype Sessions more successful.

1. Making Exclusive songs. Right now, it is a compilation that is put together from a pool of pre-existing songs. If songs were made exclusively for the sessions it would add to the mystique of it all.

2. There should be an opportunity for the consumers to get more involved with determining what they want to hear on the tape. Maybe an SMS line for nominating artists and possible collaborations that they would want to hear on the mixtape. These collaborations would be between artists and artists and also between producers and artists.*

3. Generally people tend to support things that they feel a part of. If the consumers get an opportunity or feel like they have a say in what goes on in the cd, i think they would support it more. I think the artists would even feel appreciated knowing that people are checking for them

4. A panel can then work on making the consumers nominations come through.

5. The DJ needs to pick the track listing. I dont think a dj can properly express himself, if the tracklisting is given to him. A DJ is at his best, when he has the freedom to determine which songs blend in with each other.

I do understand the logistics of pulling together such a project are high, but i think it is doable. I believe it can be done. I think its very possible to pull something like this toghether. It just needs a proper plan.

If money is a problem, i'm sure artists can be sweet talked and i'm sure studio's can be talked into recording the project for free. In exchange you can profile the studio, that the songs were recorded in, in the mag.

Imagine a hype cd, with never before heard songs, Real exclusives, that would not otherwise have happened. I think that would make people really anticipate the Sessions. Even the artists themselves would be enticed to check for the cd.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:30:38 PM by nyambz »
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Good point, like when Mizi just joined Hype erbody thought that he was putting all his Cap City niggaz on, but on the real wat r we gonna do to change the Tape

ay K9,u shud ve been in Jozi man!
Mad chicks was askin where u at at the Rand Show man!
quoting ur lines n shit " Move back like a HHP Stage dive!!!!"

did u check the pics man on the website! they was beggin fo yo autograph nigga!!!!

@Nyambs,Breakthru idea right there!
people like bein a part of things,thats why when we sell the dvd's we inform the consumers to do shout outs for the next DVD!
they luv the idea of bein part of our hustle and in turn they support and cop our shit!
consumers want SINGLES tho! so as Mizi said,theres a few problems gettin them cleared from the majors,etc. but i like the idea of REAL EXCLUSIVES!

Hype needs that! i co-sign u man!
@cash_sog

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
I think the Hype CD needs to become more of an album than a compilation. As it is now, it is not a collectors item. It could become away if it became more special. It lacks anticipation because people have come to know what to expect of it. I think the CD should be made for the consumers instead of for the Artist.

I have an idea that may or may not make the Hype Sessions more successful.

1. Making Exclusive songs. Right now, it is a compilation that is put together from a pool of pre-existing songs. If songs were made exclusively for the sessions it would add to the mystique of it all.

2. There should be an opportunity for the consumers to get more involved with determining what they want to hear on the tape. Maybe an SMS line for nominating artists and possible collaborations that they would want to hear on the mixtape. These collaborations would be between artists and artists and also between producers and artists.*

3. Generally people tend to support things that they feel a part of. If the consumers get an opportunity or feel like they have a say in what goes on in the cd, i think they would support it more. I think the artists would even feel appreciated knowing that people are checking for them

4. A panel can then work on making the consumers nominations come through.

5. The DJ needs to pick the track listing. I dont think a dj can properly express himself, if the tracklisting is given to him. A DJ is at his best, when he has the freedom to determine which songs blend in with each other.

I do understand the logistics of pulling together such a project are high, but i think it is doable. I believe it can be done. I think its very possible to pull something like this toghether. It just needs a proper plan.

If money is a problem, i'm sure artists can be sweet talked and i'm sure studio's can be talked into recording the project for free. In exchange you can profile the studio, that the songs were recorded in, in the mag.

Imagine a hype cd, with never before heard songs, Real exclusives, that would not otherwise have happened. I think that would make people really anticipate the Sessions. Even the artists themselves would be enticed to check for the cd.

Nyambo you are the man Hands down, now we gettin somewhere, I think we can fuse both ideas, coz the Underdogs like us still want our singles on the tape. But that is a fresh new idea, and it promotes unity.
9 tha Pedigree

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@ Cash Dawg those pics, is crazy man
9 tha Pedigree