Holstar

• Holstar
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-1
  • Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Duncan Sodala
Cla**ic>

"This ain't no funeral parlor. This ain't the terrordome. Welcome to HELL mothaf*#%@!" In not too many words I want to express my respect for one of the most underrated horror movies of the 90s. Like The Twilight Zone it is a segmented film (although all directed by Rusty Cundieff) that spans across a good variety of horror genres. The real horrorshow here, though, is the domestic/racial issues against the black community. Cleverly (and without being preachy or offensive to white people), Cundieff disguised his agenda with rich characters and a bone chilling conclusion.

The HIGHPOINT of this movie for me is the film's proverbial ringleader- a funeral parlor director. The man, brilliantly and hilariously underplayed by a bug-eyed Clarence Williams III, finds a stack of drugs he wants to sell to three young hoods. As you watch you begin to wonder what eerie agenda he really has in store. These scenes tie all the vignettes together.

Also, the final segment is a very profound statement on gang violence (although beware, this is the preachiest segment). I like to call it A Clockwork Black because it applies Anthony Burgress's idea of reversing violence onto the offender onto a gang leader called Krazy K. Those K's in his name aren't a mistake either! Cundieff underlines a necessary argument about between black-on-black violence by comparing K to a neo nazi.

Like any memorable work of horror, Tales remembers to keep its monsters metaphorical. Police brutality, domestic violence, racial profiling, and gang violence are the most hideous creatures found here. I complement Rusty Cundieff on a job well done there. Excessive campiness and at-times generic camera work keep this from being great, but nothing stops its relevance in the genre.

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
the angle sounds refreshing il give it that although from your review im tempted to recall "Mississipi Burning" or f***, even Boyz in the Hood it and many other films like it touched on somewhat the same issue and it wasnt HOrror per ce, or was it??? what exactly about this one warrants for it not to get "slept on"?

another thing ive noticed is this; with most and ofcourse not all flicks with black starring roles aside from the ones with for e.g Morgan Freemen, Denzel Washington or Larry Fishburne on em, the acting, for lack of a better term is utter crap. who else cept Clarence Williams III (he's nice) stares in this movie and are they any good?...

Holstar

• Holstar
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-1
  • Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Duncan Sodala
Yeah it has a couple of familiar faces who were unknowns then!such as De'aundre Bonds that was on get on the bus and Artimus Lamont Bentley that was on Moesha and actually died in '05....The movie apart from being a highlight 'black horror' covered areas such as domestic violence, police brutally and racism from a very interesting angle! I liked Tony Todd in the Candy Man series as well.

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
got you cuz. its worth a look at since for truth, awarness still needs to be created for all the things the flick seems to touch on. ONE

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
the only "black horror" i can say i enjoyed as a horror is Bones with snoop as da starring. now dat was sum nyc freaky ish. ;D..... i shud watch it again...
spread love in da music