Africasgateway.com

Alexandra

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
Situation tense after more violence in Alexandra
May 14, 2008, 05:30

The situation remains tense in Alexandra Township, north east of Johannesburg, after violent clashes erupted between police and locals last night. This follows xenophobic attacks which broke out in the township on Sunday.

Locals have accused foreigners of being behind a series of criminal activities in the township. Foreigners are also accused of taking all the jobs from locals, as well as houses. Last night more violent demonstrations broke out and criminal activities erupted in various parts of the township.

The residents went on the rampage burning tyres, throwing stones at the police and blockading the streets of Alexandra. Police retaliated by firing rubber bullets, raiding several homes and arresting scores of people.

Three people have been killed since the violence erupted on Sunday.

The ANC has called on members of the community to remain calm and to allow police to handle the situation. ANC Alexandra spokesperson, Pule Phalatse, says the party wants the community to be vigilant and not to be used by what he calls 'sinister forces and criminal elements that are trying to destabilise the township.

from sabcnews website

i m so  :-[ to be a South African right now. maar why?

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
The sad part about it is that it all started in my township, Atteridgeville!

:-[
 :(

Jules Winnfield

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-2
  • Schizophrenic Tenant Number 1
    • View Profile
My boy out in alex told me some crazy a** shit goin on out there!

Seems so pity, for people to loose their lives over...

I work on a TV show, one of the episodes we deal with xenophobic cats. Crazy to see how vexed these people are and ready to throw down, they are convinced thats their only solution to it, mad f***ed up.
When all this shit is over and done – I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherf***er.

Enis21

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-13
    • View Profile
its sad...it seems as if south africans are looking for a scapegoat in a time of economic crisis.
all i wanna know is has mbeki got nothing to say bout this? SMH @ our prez. ???
"Stuck with yourself like the rest of us"

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
just heard about this yesterday. this is really bad.

there was a time not too long ago when the government had a series of ads, i dont know how long then went on for, on xenophobia. i guess we need something better than that and that kind of education/awareness needs go on till this isnt such a big problem anymore. this is sad.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
its sad and disapointing that what was done to us in the past, we are now doin to ourselves
@cash_sog

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
man this some shit that got me pissed off....who they think they is....
that shit should not be tollarated.

black peoples self hatred has led to this....
one zimbabwean woman got raped four times that day
what the f*** is up wit these  a**holes?

lazy sunz a bitches blaming their state of being on people who got nuttin to do wit it...on some they steal.

f*** that ive never been robbed by a foreigner..
but i been jacked by a clored/some dudes from Soweto/ESKOM/HipHop today....

js n,efhncp; oanynyx;ao ,ox cmp9klnv/l

B.O.Ywonda about the O.G

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofhiphop.co.za
Tribalism and Xenofobia are just a couple of the things that increase the state/sense of panic in this country. If we don't do something about it NOW,war will be inevitable in the future... >:( :-[
Boy I wonder how many bars it takes to put a rapper under

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
As one South African chap once said to me:

"You Kwerekweres, you cam hiya end stiL awa johbz, Fek awa wemens end drink awa Biyah!" (in that order too).

yet a non-black foriegner is greeted with the utmost politeness and cordial salutations of "yes baas".

We used to have similar problems in Zimbabwe in the early to mid 80s when migrant labourers from Malawi & Mozambique came to Zim seeking a better life. We called them "Brandaya's" & "Moscans"
I see this even here in the so-called tolerant West where Migrant Mexicans are looked down upon even by naturalised first generation Mexican-Americans (even though half this country was Northern Mexico anyway). They call them "Wet-backs".

Its a shame that the fictional borders drawn by the other man still define & divide us to this day.

If you really think about it the same tribes exist from SA to ZIM to BOTS to MOZA to ZED to NAM...

ONE AFRICA ONE BLOOD ONE NATION ONE TRIBE!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:34:00 PM by Sensai_Tate »

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
it really is sad. we're being stupid f***s now. i mean hatin on another black man is exactly what they ( i wont elaborate) want us to do. and we'e falling right into that trap and we can only blame ourselves. seems we've forgotten about the help the "kwerekwere's" gave us wen it was bad to be in sa. A big SMH on this one. :-[
spread love in da music

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
yep Xenophobia is out of control. Its sad to see all that energy being directed at people who's only crime was not being born in S.A, my heart goes out to those innocent kids forced to sleep in the street like that
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

Enis21

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-13
    • View Profile
i dont know how i feel bout Winnie apologising on behalf of the south Africans who are attacking 'foreigners'. but at least someone is stepping in to say something- unlike thabo!
"Stuck with yourself like the rest of us"

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
same thing happens the world over.

after the second world war there was a shortage of labour in britain (in the 1940s),,, many brits felt threatened by this,,, you heard exactly the same comments back then (and still to this day), "they are stealing our jobs/ women/ beer".

there was racial tension and race riots throughout the 60 and 70s as white communities felt threatened by the arrival of foreigners.

this caused the rise in popularity of the BNP (british national party), a far right wing, whites only political party who are "committed to stemming and reversing the tide of non-white immigration and to restoring, by legal changes, negotiation and consent the overwhelmingly white makeup of the British population that existed in Britain prior to 1948."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party

there's a nice short history of immigration into the UK here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/uk/2002/race/short_history_of_immigration.stm

immigration is still one of the biggest issues in britain today. britain is currently paranoid about polish and other eastern european people so it's not just about skin colour, it's xenophobia.

as much as many people make claims that certain nationalities (or ethnicities) are culturally more tolerant to 'others', my belief has always been that all humans are fundamentally the same - we're all tribal and when our way of life is perceived to be threatened, the first people we turn on are those 'others'.

from an immigration point of view, the price of a successful economy is that more and more people are going to be attracted to come to south africa. as much as we might want to accommodate fellow africans in SA, ma**, unrestricted immigration can cause problems.

naturally there's no simple answers, and as usual, the poorest, most desperate people suffer the most.

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
You know whats even more sadder? The fact that you aint hearing abt a white foreigner being killed ....
WTF ?? Afrikaaners ( boere ) must be laughing their a**es off at what we doing to ourselves ......

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
http://www.24.com/media/news/Alexandra_violence_update/index.html

I agree with what D is saying but i feel the real problem is something else here. black South Africans just hate black foreigners in the same way whites in general are towards black people. Never mind the insecurities about jobs and other things like that, we here just hate these people and we look at the like they're not human beings. "these people stink", "they dirty", "they messing up out streets", "they dogs", "sis, how do you date a kwerekwere? you dont love yourself", etc

the comments i've heard people say about black foreigners make are unbelievable especially comming from other black people. its a shame.