Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

AFRICAN HIP HOP INDABA 2008 on 1st & 2nd August

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
African Hip Hop Indaba will happen at the Good Hope Centre on the 1st & 2nd August 2008

1st August 2008 - DJ, MC and Beatbox Battle at the Drommedaries Hall of the Good Hope Centre.
Starts with DJ and Beat Production workshops.
Performances by Local Atcs and DJ Eazy will be on the decks (Name of performing artists will be updated by end of June 08)

2nd August 2008 - Battle of the Year selction of best crew to rep SA in Germany, New Skool Battle, B-Girl Battle, Krump Battle and Popping Battle. Starts with various hip hop dance workshops.

All DJs, MCs, Beatboxers, B-Boys, B-Girls, New Skoolers, Poppers, Krumpers, crews should all enter before the deadline on the 15th July 2008. Tickets are now available for R40 per day. Tickets can be baought on compu-ticket and Heal the Hood by calling 021 7060481 or 082 3958125 .

Info will be updated on http://www.africanhiphopindaba.co.za

Peace
See you at the battle
Emile YX?

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
We are deciding if we should rather just give cash at the event. A total of R30 000 cash and management contract for the b-boys, newskool dancers, b-girls, next generation, poppers, krumpers, etc ... for the winners. We have been toying around with the idea of giving cash money instead of sending people overseas. In this way we feel that it will benefit hip hop here more than the flight companies that do not put a cent back into hip hop in South Africa?

Let us know what you feel about this decision. Any other cash generated will be ploughed into the development of the culture and getting more b-boys / dancers / MCs involved in the local scene. 

Let us know what you think.
Emile YX?

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
We have been toying around with the idea of giving cash money instead of sending people overseas. In this way we feel that it will benefit hip hop here more than the flight companies that do not put a cent back into hip hop in South Africa?

Let us know what you feel about this decision. Any other cash generated will be ploughed into the development of the culture and getting more b-boys / dancers / MCs involved in the local scene. 

Let us know what you think.
Emile YX?

I agree that the companies don't put much back, but then I also think it is better to let them go overseas.

Maybe try to get a sponsor for the overseas trip, cos for many of these dancers, this may be their only oppurtunity ever of seeing the world. It's also a big motivator, thinking that your dancing may get you a trip overseas, whereas the money may not be enough to really do that much for a crew of 5 - 10 guys.

They would never be able to funda Earopean trip on that, but going there will actually enable them to build a contact base and get exposed to other cultures and the scene elsewhere.

Just my two cents.

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
Thanks ... some good points ... We have just noticed that its more or less the same dancers that have been winning the competition and thats just because the rest have not upped their game. Another factor for not doing the international section, aside form the huge expense of raising over R75 000 for flights, was the bad showing of our crews and not representing South Africa with all the pa**ion that it deserves. Ging all that way and just using it as a holiday is insulting to the organisers, as well as the people who came to support to make the flights possible. Watching the level of the dance hre has also made me realise that it will take more work to get the level up and that the travels do not actually inspire the dancers to do better, or we would have had a winning team by now already.

What do you think about these thoughts ...?

e   

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I see what you’re saying.

I guess in that case it would be best to maybe cancel this part of the competition for a year or two.

There’s gonna have to be some serious development work to be done though. I guess that you’ll have to look at ways of stepping the level of dance up drastically before going international again, since I also noticed that it was always the same people repping SA.

I think one of the reasons for this is that its hard for people from the smaller places to partake in BOTY. They don’t have access to the net and most of these kids come from communities that struggle to put food on the table, much less travel to CT for a b-boy battle.
How about using a portion of what would have gone to prize money and using that to travel the country, and hosyt workshops and identify new talent that would be willing to practice hard and can be groomed for the international gig?

I don’t know if you remember the b-boys from the last time you were in Bloem, but these guys are a good example of what I’m talking about. They all work full-time jobs, yet are dedicated enough to come home from work and practice for hours. They’ve improved hundredfold since last time you were there. There are also some kids in Kimberley that we had in a workshop about four years ago. They were complete beginners then, but last time I went to Kimberley, they had improved to the point that they were getting paid to perform at gigs and even battled one of the cats in my crew. That’s because they do it for love and they practice like mad, instead of getting involved with drugs and stuff, which is a big problem in the Northern Cape.

So basically. Cut the prize money in half, and rather take the winning crew on a tour of SA, where they can teach their skills to novices. This isn’t limited to b-boying, but also DJing, since there is also a monopoly of the scene by a few established artists who can afford the equipment and stuff. After going on tour and identifying the potential talent, you can work from there to create a team that can rep us internationally in a few years.

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
Good points. Thanks. We met u with Stretch and know exactly what you are saying. Both Kimberley and Bloem is repping and we should do more development nationally.

Speak to you soon again and thanks for your input.

Emile

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Good points. Thanks. We met u with Stretch and know exactly what you are saying. Both Kimberley and Bloem is repping and we should do more development nationally.

Speak to you soon again and thanks for your input.

Emile

Cool. Yeah, Stretch is one of the b-boys I was talking about.

There are very few guys with as much style as this boy and though he's not really one for powermoves, he can go head to head with a lot of the top guys.

I can give you details for people in Bloem, Kimberley and Lesotho, who will be willing to help arrange things.

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
Sounds good. Send the details to emiley@mweb.co.za and I will definitely spend time spreading the culture to as many people as possible in the areas.

Thanks
Emile YX? 

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
1ST AUG - DJ, MC, BEATBOX BATTLES - PERFORMANCES BY ISAAC MUTANT, GARLIC BROWN, DRIEMANSKAP, ILLITERATE SKILLS, JAAK, BRAINSORM, MAX NORMAL, BLACK NOISE, EMILE YX?,

2ND AUG - B-BOY GROUP BATTLES, UNDER 13 BATTLES, NEW SKOOL BATTLES, POPPING BATTLES, KRUMPING BATTLES

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
I agree f*** sending people over seas charity begin's at home and this is home!

Giving people cash will make them work harder plus with the inflation and shit I feel its what every person  will need!

Big up for organising this event!

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
Its R40 per day and we decided to charge for cameras because people copy and sell footage to others. This way they paid for it and they can do with is as they wish. We plough all the money back into events throughout the year and in this way they contribute to help us teach more b-boys ... They take what others create and give so that more can be created.

Hope that explains that ... Heres the programme for both days and the year plan of what will happen with the money that is generated from the event:-
 African Hip Hop Indaba 2008

1st  August 2008 (Friday)
DJ Battle, MC Battle and BeatBox Battle/ Competition

17H00 - 19H00    Workshops (DJ Workshop, MC Workshop)

19H00 - 20H00   Sound Check and Warm Ups for DJs on the equipment

20H00 - 20H30   Doors Open for the public & DJ plays

20H30 - 20H40    MC opens the events

20H40 - 21H00    DJ Battle Starts

21H00 - 21H30   MC "Rock the Mic" Battle Starts

21H30 - 21H45   Performance – Isaac and Skallywag

21H45 - 22H00   Beat Box Battle Starts

22H00 - 22H30   DJ Battle Continue

22H30 - 23H00   Performance – Max Normal & Ill Skills

23H00 - 23H30   MC Battle Finals

23H30 - 24H00   DJ Finals

24H00 – 24H30    Announcement of Winners

African Hip Hop Indaba 2008

2nd August 2008 (Saturday)
National B-Boy Team Selection - Battle of the Year 2008
Hip Hop New Skool (Like in "You got Served) Battle

10H00 - 13H00   Set Up Venue

13H00 - 14H00    Doors Open 

14H00 - 17H00   Workshops (B-boying basics, Popping & Capoeira)

17H05 – 19H00   Screening of Freshest Kids Documentary

19H00 - 20H00   New Skool Shows Start - First 10 crews

20H00 - 20H40   First 5 B-Boy Shows

20H40 - 21H40   Next  10 New Skool Crews

21H45 - 22H05   Last 5 B-Boy Crews

22H05 - 22H25   Krumping Finals

22H25 - 23H00    Last 5 New Skool Crews

23H05 - 23H25    Popping Finals      

23H25 - 23H35   Final New Skool Battle

23H40 - 23H50   Final B-Boy Battle

23H50 – 24H00   Announce Winners

Heal the Hood Project has hosted this event since 1997 and paid for more than 85 dancers to go to the World Champs in Germany. Each year we have spent the money raised on taking hip hop around the country, hosting this event and buying flights for the SA Team. This year we have decided to plough our peoples’ money into developmental workshops and activities in South Africa. This will see money from Hip Hop and our communities being ploughed back into our communities and empowering hip hop artists.

We feel that it is time to develop the next generation of Hip Hoppers in South Africa and wish to encourage youth to support what is created in our communities and country and in that way generate an income from performances and local shows.
How funds raised will be spent for the next year

Ongoing B-boy/ breakdance, New Skool  & Drawing/ Graffiti Cla**es

Monday      16H00 – 18H00    B-Boy Cla**es at Dance For All in Athlone
Tuesday    14H30 – 15H30   B-Boy Cla**es at Prince George Dr, Primary
      14H30 – 16H00   Drawing & Graffiti Cla** at Prince George Dr. Pri.
14H30 – 16H00   B-Boy Cla**es at Lavender Hill High
14H30 – 16H00   Nu Skool Cla**es at Westend Primary, Mitchells Pl.
19H00 – 21H00   B-Boy Cla**es at Dance For All in Athlone
Weds       14H30 – 16H00   Nu Skool Cla**es at Lentegeur High, Mitchells Pl.
Thursday   14H30 – 16H00   Nu Skool Cla**es at Aloe High, Mitchells Plain
19H00 – 21H00   B-Boy Cla**es at Dance For All in Athlone
Saturday   13H00 – 14H30   B-Boy Cla**es at Joseph Stone in Athlone

After Indaba

28th Aug. 08   Black Noise 20th Anniversary at the Baxter & Showcase HTH Students
29th Aug. 08   Black Noise 20th Anniversary at the Baxter & Showcase HTH Students   
Sept 2008   Anti-Racism & Anti- Xenophobia CD
Booklet of Rap Lyrics
Oct. 2008   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
Nov. 2008   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
Dec. 2008   African Battle Cry
      Hip Hop Family Day
Jan. 2009   Heal the Hood Youth Leaders Hip Hop Camp
Feb. 2009   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
March ’09   Shut Up Just Dance Event
      HTH Community Jam
April ’09   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
May ’09   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
June ’09   HTH Community Jam
July ’09   Anti-Drug Schools Campaign
Aug. ’09   African Hip Hop Indaba 2009

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
Come support the local MCs on the bill for this years Indaba:-

Max Normal
Isaac Mutant
Skallywag
Driemanskap
Illiterate Skills
Jack D

and more ...

yak

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
so anybody know what happened at the indaba, unfortunately i couldn't make it  :-[