Dpleezy · 76 · 23194

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

AFRICA - One Big Country

Our continent is large enough to create the largest hip hop industry in the world. This culture stretches over all points of the continent, making it difficult to understand how it is that SA cats can never get hold of Mode 9 or Reggie Rockstone records. And how cats in Gabon can't cop of HHP, Pro or Jozi. The problem is that we've let our geographic boundaries divide us. The marketability of African hip hop within the continent has been proven over and over again. The interest is there. We were speaking to some friends of ours from Nigeria who told us how HYPE Sessions tracks were being played on some radio stations in that country. We don't even distribute in Nigeria...

Now this is the deal. We need to find a way to unite the culture on the continent... A way to create one ma**ive hip hop community that stretches over the whole of Africa. This has been the vision of activists such as Lee Kasumba, and it's time we made it work. We need to start treating Africa as a single country with many different provinces. Africa is the second largest continent in the world, at 30065000 sq km and a population of over 740 million. The United States, as a country, is not a great deal smaller than the African continent. At 24256000 sq km and a population of over 301 million, the US might as well be a continent. In comparison, South Africa's 48 million population is hardly enough to sell to once this number has been divided into the various demographics.

If we promoted and distributed all of Africa's hip hop throughout the continent at the right price, each record could have the potential of reaching twice as many people as US records reach in their country. This means that for every one million domestic sales made by an American artists, two million can be pushed by an African artist - in Africa alone.

In my opinion, creating a united African hip hop community depends on the availability of the continent's music throughout. With the help of major radio stations across the land, distribution companies and platforms such as Channel O, this can start falling in place today. Record stores stock music that is in demand. Radio and TV are powerful enough to creates this demand. If one major station in every African country could playlist selected tracks from other African countries, , this would create the demand that would prompt the distributors to stock the records. Its that simple.

This is not an idea. It's what needs to happen now. To all our people in countries preparing for elections... Remember to VOTE SMART.

Mizi, Editor
mizi@hypemagazine.co.za

TRACK LIST
   01.   It aint easy - HHP
   02.   F.A.B – Infinite Lyrisist & Beijing Xiaolin
   03.   Guess Who – SFS & Don Juan Bacha
   04.   Front Row – JR & Tumi
   05.   For the love – KEB(Killin Every Bastad), Zeus & Tebz
   06.   Monday to Sunday – Junior, Kwesta & Tido Minado
   07.   Show me love – Rhytmmath
   08.   Why (love & respect to my sistas) – Zuluboy & Caroline
   09.   Send me an angel – Afro Kett
   10.   Battle Chronicles (Emcee Africa) – DJ Black, Rage, Yung D, J Town, Mode 9, Snaz, Professor J & Nazizi
   11.   Buster – Gomes, Thanoku & Toodi(Morafe)
   12.   U cant (OC Jacksmoothnight Remix) – JR, Slikour & Maggz
   13.   Trinity Hydro – Beijing Xiaolin, Zeus, Tebz & Don Juan Bacha
   14.   Put us in the game(Gone) – Charlie From Tha Block & SuggaSmaxx
   15.   Be ur Erthang - Glitterati

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:20:10 PM by Dpleezy »

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com

Alias

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Shot D. Could You Re Upload The Picture of the cover? I cant seem to see it. Shot

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Shot D. Could You Re Upload The Picture of the cover? I cant seem to see it. Shot

This better?...

Alias

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Much Thanks D. Oh Yeah D have You ever come to the Grahamstown Festival?

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile
Compared to the 2 previous covers, I have to say, this is not the hype I L.O.V.E. The tracklisting for the mixtape seems dope. Looking foward to what's inside

Yo, you on some gren-white-green like dem Naija boys or you on that doopie. Hahahaha ;D ;D ;D
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Much Thanks D. Oh Yeah D have You ever come to the Grahamstown Festival?

No problem. I must say that i've never made it,,, I'd love to go though.

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
I was a bit disappointed yesterday wen  i got my copy of the mag and saw lil wizzy on de cover with all dat green....
Have we run out of african emcees who can grace the cover of hype or is lil wizzy funding de mag???
I believe there's alot of african emcees out der n who deserve to grace the cover and also b promoted by hype mag...supa made de cover without an album, how many really dope  african emcees and hiphop djs are out there???
Hype come on now...wa**up??? SA's no 1 hip hop mag with lil wizzy on de cover and all the african emcees taking de back seat!!! Wen de lady at cna went 2 get me a copy from de back and saw all dat, i thot it was XXL or something.... lets start at home first.... please!!!

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
i think the issue of who's on the cover has to do with sales....mizi has pointed it out be4 that a cover with an  international artist generally sells more than one with a local cat

at the of the day hype is a bizness and they gat 2make money....

its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
besides.. Wizzle is about to drop arguably one of the more anticepated albums of the year..
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

Dingaan

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
We hav all heard the tired arguement, 4rm mizi and hype. international covers sell more than local, is there any stats to proove this? This is i believe is a tired excuse. If local artists on the cover dont sell, what is mizi and hype doing to improve this situation. wot r the real statistics behind the cover sales? r international covers bodying local covers by 10 thousand issues sold? or is it just a matter of a few thousands? dont u make your money back from sponsorships and advertisements? why not hustle for more sponsors, and advertisements? instead of f***ing over local artists over just because international stars sell a few thousand more? sorry to complain, i know it must be a hard job but u guys are f***ing shit up.
Dingaan, i'm not the boxer but i'll Box ya!!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Not this again. Ya'll f***s are seriously getting on my nerves. ALWAYS COMPLAINING !!! haven't we been thru this already ? Everytime a new issue is dropped and a thread is created here on AG,all i see is complains complains. The COVER this and that. The MIXTAPE is too jiggy,yadayada. Mizi and Simone are playing their part. What the f*** ya'll doing ? Shut the f*** or  produce your own magazine, with all your favourite underground rappers. f*** !!! South African's never appreciate anything. Is the magazine only about the Cover ? Aren't there stories,reviews, GIGS,etc about local rappers inside ? Mizi doesn't even have to come here and post this shit. Hip-hop will never amount to nothin in this country.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
We hav all heard the tired arguement, 4rm mizi and hype. international covers sell more than local, is there any stats to proove this? This is i believe is a tired excuse. If local artists on the cover dont sell, what is mizi and hype doing to improve this situation. wot r the real statistics behind the cover sales? r international covers bodying local covers by 10 thousand issues sold? or is it just a matter of a few thousands? dont u make your money back from sponsorships and advertisements? why not hustle for more sponsors, and advertisements?

Oh come on.

Do you know anything about the magazine business? International covers sell well because people in the main are lazy and stupid. When they're staring at the racks, what are they going to buy: a mag with Lil Wayne on the cover (who they probably heard at the club the night before and have probably seen stunting on MTV) or a mag with Tuks on the cover? Note, I'm not talking about what they SHOULD do, only what currently IS the situation.

Hype cannot survive physically without magazine sales. Sure, income comes from ads and sponsorships, but not enough to keep a fully functional magazine running. Much of that income comes from sales. Hype, as part of Intelligence Publishing, is a business, and as a business it is expected by its parent company to make money. They make money by giving the buyers what they want, which, at the moment is international covers.

Hype is not perfect. And to be honest, I don't want Lil Wayne on the cover either. But frankly, this debate is getting stupid and tired. Hype have done more for South African artists than any other magazine or newspaper - not without wobbly patches, it's true, but show me a publication that doesn't go through those.

instead of f***ing over local artists over just because international stars sell a few thousand more? sorry to complain, i know it must be a hard job but u guys are f***ing shit up.

That comment is not only thoughtless and stupid, it is actually just plain wrong. Think about what you write before you write it, don't just drop the needle.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Dingaan

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I agree with u Rob but step back from hypes jock for a moment. What are the stats? I know less dan u bout the industry. but where are the stats to support that international acts do better than local acts? Where are those stats? Make them public. Can i ask u a question rob? Is who is on the cover the only factor that makes people buy mags? There are a host of other factors that cum 2play. things like season, play a role to. if u release lil wayne in December, and hymphatic thabs in Feb, u cant then use those results 2make deductions? the stats can help but u need to standardise those results. u need to factor out the seasonal trends, and all the other "noise" that distorts the picture.
Dingaan, i'm not the boxer but i'll Box ya!!