Africasgateway.com

Watchmen!!

Msanii_XL · 81 · 30843

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
this was a really good movie. it was a bit long, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. sh*t was violent though damn!
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Finished the comic book last night. They weren't kidding when they called in unfilmable. What an amazing, brilliant story.

Keen for the film now, thinking imax...
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
movie was cool. Snyder took it on like a fan, and kept it really, really close to the source material.

my only grievances are:

1. i wasn't convinced that the world as on the brink of anarchy, and there was an air of looming apocalypse. a few vignettes from the persepctives of the ordinary characters could have helped.

2. 'who watches the watchmen?' this question, which i find central in the graphic novel, didn't come across at all for me. pity, seeing as how much it expounds on Alan Moore's theme on individual autonomy, and the existence of both evil and good in all of humanity.

3. could have been more political.

pros:

1. dope visuals. get the look and feel, though most times it doesn't look like the given era (50's, 60's 80's etc).

2. nice additional quirks which could have been in the book. Rorsharch: "now tell me doc, what do you see!?"

3. veidt and rorsharch are the shit - dope action sequences.

favourite part: the montage at the beginning with Bob Dylan in the background - now that looked and felt like Watchmen.
heard Alan Moore doesn't like it. anyone know about this?

update: he hates it by default.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:35:32 PM by panic »

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
movie was cool. Snyder took it on like a fan, and kept it really, really close to the source material.

my only grievances are:

1. i wasn't convinced that the world as on the brink of anarchy, and there was an air of looming apocalypse. a few vignettes from the persepctives of the ordinary characters could have helped.

2. 'who watches the watchmen?' this question, which i find central in the graphic novel, didn't come across at all for me. pity, seeing as how much it expounds on Alan Moore's theme on individual autonomy, and the existence of both evil and good in all of humanity.

3. could have been more political.

pros:

dope visuals. get the look and feel, though most times it doesn't look the given era (50's, 60's 80's etc).

nice additional quirks which could have been in the book. Rorsharch: "now tell me doc, what do you see!?"

veidt and rorsharch are the shit - dope action sequences.

favourite part: the montage at the beginning with Bob Dylan in the background - now that looked and felt like Watchmen.

heard Alan Moore doesn't like it. anyone know about this?

alan has beef with DC swore never to work for them ever again plus almost all his stuff adapted to the film has sucked horribly, from hell, League of extraordinary gentlemen even V for Vendetta to a degree

That not good enough for ya?

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
The soundtrack of this was the best part for me. I've been procrastinating about finishing the review. I'll post when I'm done.

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
Seems like review are mixed so far,

i'm only keeping the counsel of one reviewer....ME!!!
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Finished my review:
The soundtrack, execution of some of the scenes and CGI made it a visually rewarding film to watch. The costly omissions and overzealous editing detracted from the depth of the characters. What we have is a 2dimensional film about 3dimensional characters. It needed to be longer (maybe even a trilogy). It needed to be a character drama piece. More a ‘Beautiful Mind’ than ‘The Incredibles’. Some of the action scenes could have been omitted. More of the background stories needed to be included. The end could have been paced better.
Overall 5/10.

Full review here:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=90896719&blogId=476032188

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
dope review Tate. cosign 100%. its actually a flick i wouldnt go watch a second time. it had so much potential in the beginning. honestly speaking though, Moores clever use of the comic medium is part of what makes his work so compelling. and its something that could never ever translate into a Hollywood 3 act narrative. . .part of my skepticism here had not so much to do with Watchmen being 'unfilmable', but with Zack Snyder taking on a project that had baffled Terry Gilliam and Darren Aronofsky. really? f*** outta here :D

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
woah tate. your rating of the flick is pretty brutal.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
You think its too low? Did you read the full review at the link?

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
You think its too low? Did you read the full review at the link?

yeah i read your full review. very well put. even though i havent read the book, i managed to pick up on the themes from your post. considering the movie is an adaption, and there has never ever been an comic book movie adaption that comic geeks have ever been happy with. i think as far as adaptions go, despite the few shortfalls here and there, i feel this movie was a triumph. my opinion though. sure, the director could have done much more to beef the story line up. but considering limited resources and viewing time, i think they did an excellent job.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
^you see that's my problem with the thing. it's one of those you have to make excuses for.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
Did you fools cop the motion comics that I upped (sleeping a** mahf***as)

http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=23606.120

That not good enough for ya?

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
Watchmen... meh.
Beating bitches since 1982.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile