HYPE AUG/SEP ISSUE - OUT NOW

mizi. · 140 · 44294

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za

HIP HOP INDUSTRY STANDARD

Hip hop is the single most powerful musical genre and has been proven to be the world's single most effective method to communicate to the youth. Just look around you. Hip hop is being used to sell you everything from burgers and chips to beer and cars. Everything from sneakers and cologne to watches and banking products. Sometimes we don't realise the power we have as a hip hop community. We don't realise that we are actually a key element of the world's economy.

Since everybody else has realised the power we have, why is it that we fail to see this power? Why do we still get exploited? Why do we still get the smallest share of this multi-billion industry? How can we be broke when millions are being made from burgers sold in our name? To be honest, I don't know. What I do know is that we can do something about it. If we all follow these basic rules, we will all come out with a decent piece of the pie.

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with this scenario... A promoter calls you up and tries to book you for a gig. He tells you there is no budget and that you will be doing the show for the exposure. If this ever happens to you again, give that promoter the finger, and tell em its from me. The reason you have been approached is because the promoter felt that you would add value to the event. You should be paid for that value. If the gig is making money at the door, you own a piece of that money. If you are being denied this, don't be shook to walk away.

An emerging MC should be charging anything between R 500 and R 1 500 for a gig. Established cats should be at the R 5k mark and major artists between R 10 000 and R 25 000 per show. Dance crews are becoming increasingly popular. Start-outs should be charging a minimum of R 1500 and established crews should not appear for anything less than R 7000. Our top 3 crews should be appearing for R 15 000 and up. On the beats side of things... If an unsigned MC needs beats, start negotiating at a grand per beat. At least R 4 000 for indy labels and no less than R 10 000 for major labels. If you currently have a hit single, push your value up to R 15 000 and up based on the strength of that single. If you are approached to produce for an advert, send a quote for no less than R 40 000. Trust me, that burger company has that in their budget. If they try squeeze you too much, decline the offer. In fact, if any of the above mentioned conditions are not met, refuse to render your services. If you refuse it, they might try the next individual. If that individual refuses to be paid less, the person asking for your service will realise that an industry standard has been created.

If anybody breaks the industry standard, this creates a crack in the hip hop economy. It is through this crack that exploitation streams through. If we don't close this crack today, it will become too big to manage. If one established dance crew agrees to another R 200 pay day, the whole system will collapse. If we all stand together and work according to an official hip hop industry standard, we will all get paid what we need to get paid. If you need any help working out your value in the game, don't be shook to give me a call.

Remember!! Vote Smart

Mizi
Editor
mizi@hypemagazine.co.za
082-MIZI-FOR-PRESIDENT
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:24:56 PM by mizi. »

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
plan b... hype should make a label since they know everything...

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile

HIP HOP INDUSTRY STANDARD

Hip hop is the single most powerful musical genre and has been proven to be the world's single most effective method to communicate to the youth. Just look around you. Hip hop is being used to sell you everything from burgers and chips to beer and cars. Everything from sneakers and cologne to watches and banking products. Sometimes we don't realise the power we have as a hip hop community. We don't realise that we are actually a key element of the world's economy.

Since everybody else has realised the power we have, why is it that we fail to see this power? Why do we still get exploited? Why do we still get the smallest share of this multi-billion industry? How can we be broke when millions are being made from burgers sold in our name? To be honest, I don't know. What I do know is that we can do something about it. If we all follow these basic rules, we will all come out with a decent piece of the pie.

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with this scenario... A promoter calls you up and tries to book you for a gig. He tells you there is no budget and that you will be doing the show for the exposure. If this ever happens to you again, give that promoter the finger, and tell em its from me. The reason you have been approached is because the promoter felt that you would add value to the event. You should be paid for that value. If the gig is making money at the door, you own a piece of that money. If you are being denied this, don't be shook to walk away.

An emerging MC should be charging anything between R 500 and R 1 500 for a gig. Established cats should be at the R 5k mark and major artists between R 10 000 and R 25 000 per show. Dance crews are becoming increasingly popular. Start-outs should be charging a minimum of R 1500 and established crews should not appear for anything less than R 7000. Our top 3 crews should be appearing for R 15 000 and up. On the beats side of things... If an unsigned MC needs beats, start negotiating at a grand per beat. At least R 4 000 for indy labels and no less than R 10 000 for major labels. If you currently have a hit single, push your value up to R 15 000 and up based on the strength of that single. If you are approached to produce for an advert, send a quote for no less than R 40 000. Trust me, that burger company has that in their budget. If they try squeeze you too much, decline the offer. In fact, if any of the above mentioned conditions are not met, refuse to render your services. If you refuse it, they might try the next individual. If that individual refuses to be paid less, the person asking for your service will realise that an industry standard has been created.

If anybody breaks the industry standard, this creates a crack in the hip hop economy. It is through this crack that exploitation streams through. If we don't close this crack today, it will become too big to manage. If one established dance crew agrees to another R 200 pay day, the whole system will collapse. If we all stand together and work according to an official hip hop industry standard, we will all get paid what we need to get paid. If you need any help working out your value in the game, don't be shook to give me a call.

Remember!! Vote Smart

Mizi
Editor
mizi@hypemagazine.co.za
082-MIZI-FOR-PRESIDENT

yeah man we need to put a stop to this crack
Vote for Crackboys

jokes man!

Real inspiring! i think we have not established a standard yet! would be great to see this implemented!
@cash_sog

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-15
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
Most hip hop artist are addicts meaning they will take any offer as long as it will get them their next fix even if it will cause them to drop the standard.
And most ppl think that the pay they get is fair as  long as they get exposure.
Dn't have a comfort zone ,always have room for improvement.

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
since hip hop album sales are bad in sa.. how much copies of HYPE you sell a month mizi or anyone that knows the answer to my question?

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
HYPE distributes 240 000 copies per year. Of which we sell an average of 80%. Thats 240 000 copies of a local hip hop product!!! There is hope

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
since hip hop album sales are bad in sa.. how much copies of HYPE you sell a month mizi or anyone that knows the answer to my question?

lol hip hop is all about sales now, u even questioning mags lol. yeah but he said it appx 20 000 +

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Well said Wildcandy,
I think the problem arises when you have a young guy with no means to make it! All he wants is to be discovered! He will do anything a promoter or Bigger artist will tell him. ie. give me that beat and i'll credit u on my album sleeve!
or "DO the show for exposure,Dj Sbu will be there n he might discover you" so the dude with nothing will do it for nothing!

I know from experience man. it feels better gettin nothing but a good response from a crowd,than sittin at home cos u turned down the show!

But these are some of the things that definitely need to be discussed!

Its gon be hard!
@cash_sog

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
without the legal aspect in place in your label or crew, u arre easy prey to be exploited.
and unfortunately legal costs are not cheap!
Maybe we need more dudes in the game to quit rappin n study law,then help the new artists not to make the same mistakes they did.

eish! see yall peeps tomorrow! im out!
hope we come up with some good solutions on this thread.
@cash_sog

J-oNE/Pat-B-Rick

• http://www.soundclick.com/J-oNERSA
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +17/-30
  • I got the coolest shower door in S.A
    • View Profile
    • Beatz for Africa
I just hope its better than last issue. no diss marre that was possibly the worst issue i ever bought... except the interview with the sprite emcee Africa judges. that was damn nice

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
A good editorial Mizi. I hope the theme is carried through to the content.

Can't see the image here for some reason - who is on the cover?
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
TUKS
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
@Mizi

Well written dudde honestly well written! I think every single cat here should take note and say f*** the exposure bullshit that we are being feed!

I just got a little story! bout a month ago I did a show and the dude promised pay but didnt deliver! I didnt trust him and took a turntable and a mixer with me when i left and made it clear that when i get paid I will return the equipement. Before I could reach my car with the stuff dude had caught up and had my money cash in his hands! My point is............ if 30 people paid to get in at R50 each and you are charging  R1500,! Do the maths there is enough money to pay you from what was collected at the door!

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
we talk of a hip hop economy yet seek to be prescriptive about the rates people ought to be paid.. to grow the industry i think cats ought to be as competitive as possible.. undercut each other if needs be.. an artist's worth is surely commensurate to how much they're able to command..

if promoters & corporates are always using cheap labout [ie. useless cats willing to do it for free].. doubt they'd get as much mileage out of that than if they paid a proper artist their "true worth"..

imma finish this tomorrow.. in need of a beer
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
No, I agree with Mizi. The pond is too small at the moment to warrant that kind of competetiveness. It would be better to set a minimum standard first.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com