mizi. · 140 · 44309

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
I think artists need to step their game up locally, performance wise. As a performer, your meant to entertain the crowd. A lot of artists dont do that. They dont take the effort to entertain, and expect to get paid for that.

Its a lazy mentality. As a fan, I'm Not trying to pay to see a cat, walk up and down the stage grabbing his crotch. I might as well be at home listening to his/her CD.

Artists need to take responsibility. The moment you want dough for a performance, you need to take responsibility and respect the crowd who came to see you, the man/woman writing your cheque, and go out and put on a show.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Too many people involved with hip hop, walk around wanting money for nothing. I guess to an extent its human nature. But people are seriously wasting their talent.

I've always said to people that having talent is the easiest part. You cant make talent, u either are or your not. Its GOD given, ur fortunate u have it. And you have to go out and make it work for you. A lot of people just get complacent with having talent and expect things to happen for them. You need to work, to make sure your talent is not slept on.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
I think artists need to step their game up locally, performance wise. As a performer, your meant to entertain the crowd. A lot of artists dont do that. They dont take the effort to entertain, and expect to get paid for that.

Its a lazy mentality. As a fan, I'm Not trying to pay to see a cat, walk up and down the stage grabbing his crotch. I might as well be at home listening to his/her CD.

Artists need to take responsibility. The moment you want dough for a performance, you need to take responsibility and respect the crowd who came to see you, the man/woman writing your cheque, and go out and put on a show.

cosig, the running up and down the stage is whack and dumb. Get a choreographer to teach you some moves, im sure Somizi wont mind ;) ;)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Too many people involved with hip hop, walk around wanting money for nothing. I guess to an extent its human nature. But people are seriously wasting their talent.

I've always said to people that having talent is the easiest part. You cant make talent, u either are or your not. Its GOD given, ur fortunate u have it. And you have to go out and make it work for you. A lot of people just get complacent with having talent and expect things to happen for them. You need to work, to make sure your talent is not slept on.

I'v elost count of how many times I've gotten this speech from parents, teachers, lecturers, and drunk people I don't even know.

It's true though. People get complacent and think they can get by on talent alone.

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
If artists treated music like a 9-5 the industry would be alive and well. If you just spent 8hours a day. Heck even 2hours a day 5days a week on ur music you would be far. Not just the actual music, but the business side aswell.

If artists were that dedicated. We would be sitting on a gold mine. The industry would be miles ahead of where it is now.

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
Cats let a tiny bit of success go to their heads and start demanding crazy fees just because they've got a video on channel O.

crac*cough*

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
I think hip hop is still too apologetic. We want to give away the free mixtape first because we don't expect anybody to buy our material. Then we do free shows because we don't expect people or promoters to pay. We are disrespecting ourselves and our art form. Why do other genres respect themselves? As a promoter... If you are looking to book an orchestra, you know you're about to pay. That orchestra may consist of completely unknown talent, but because that genre respects itself, THEY WILL CHARGE! Please believe me.

We need to stop being so apologetic. We're not beginners. We are 28 years old! (SA hip hop) We grown. Ask Ready D, Ramone, Gogga and Emile. We are not in any kind of developmental stage. POC was that development stage and that was 18 years ago. And even then, they respected hip hop enough to charge for it. Why are we moving backwards and blaming it on still being in a development phase?

Do we as hip hop headz and artists think that hip hop is an inferior art form? Maybe we do. Thats why we're so apologetic. Thats why we'll pick up the crumbs while other genres eat. Is constructing scripts any less involved than blowing a horn? Why is the guy blowing a horn paid? And why are we broke? Its because we dont respect our craft and our talent. We develop it and give it away for free.

D is right, Holland is organised. Those cats respect the art form. Management, booking agents, lawyers. You need somebody to tell promoters you are not coming out before the dip is made. We need that. We also need that lawyer's letter to be in the post the next day if we arent paid. If you are ever to perform at a not paying gig, let it be your own gig or an audited charity gig.

Think of the orchestra. Picture them doing something for free. Picture a promoter trying to hustle an orchestra out of their money. Picture them taking less money than they had asked for and coming out before the diposit is paid.

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
can someone explain what the hype awards are and the criteria needed to be nominated

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
@Mizi, I feel u. People need to stop selling themselves short. But they also need to show better commitment.

I think an orchestra is another ball game. As a member of an orchestra, You cant fake being good, orchestra's practice hard. They tend to take it more seriously, than hiphop artists, they enroll in schools. Purchase expensive instruments, practice daily, its really a different ball game. A much higher level of commitment, towards their genre and improvement exists. It makes no sense for them to perform for free. The logistics of it dont allow. Transporting all that equipmemt is not cheap, getting to the point of playing in an orchestra is not over night. Its a lifelong dedication. It exists in hip hop, but not to that degree. All a rapper needs to perform is a mic.

Even with, other genre's, the level of commitment is much higher. House Deejay's work miniscule jobs to raise funds for decks, records, spend hours learning to mix, blend etc. Rock bands, same thing, practice frequently, hustle for equipment. Equipment that easily spirals into the 100 thousands.

Imagine if the people in the genre worked as hard as you do with the mag or showed ur commitment to hiphop? We would be far bra.... So the same way artists need to stop being "apologetic", is the same way they have to take ownership and show a greater level of commitment to the genre. 

The crews in Amsterdam, Sweden, Europe on average work harder than we do locally. We need to check our Ego's at the door. Right now there's no space for the ego's. We need commited soldiers. We need people who are willing to sweat for this.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I think one of the points there is that hip-hop has a much lower 'entry fee' if you like. Especially for MCing -no equipment costs.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Yeah ROb the barriers for entry are just too low. THere is virtually no standard for emceeing or producing.

Atleast with the graph, Bboying and deejaying there is still a strong level of commitment and skill one needs to attain to be considered dope.

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
don't mean to derail the thread but, i buy the mag for the articles and the CD. i must say that the mag design needs serious attention. i cant stand the font type that u guys use. its a big turn-off for me. its worse against a white background .i.e the morafe story. you really have to be a Morafe fan to read that story.  hope you listening.

A typo in a headline in inexusable.
Willing to proof read and copy edit for free initially... ;)

I won't dwell on the negative - but these details matter to me as a consumer. Thorough should be the standard.

Ah swear, it's like dejavu watching some of these acts.
Heads need to research their audience, prepare differently for each performance and put on a show. You've gotta be entertainin in order to attract paying audiences. This will give you negotiating rights when promoters make payment offers.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
don't mean to derail the thread but, i buy the mag for the articles and the CD. i must say that the mag design needs serious attention. i cant stand the font type that u guys use. its a big turn-off for me. its worse against a white background .i.e the morafe story. you really have to be a Morafe fan to read that story.  hope you listening.

A typo in a headline in inexusable.
Willing to proof read and copy edit for free initially... ;)

I won't dwell on the negative - but these details matter to me as a consumer. Thorough should be the standard.

Ah swear, it's like dejavu watching some of these acts.
Heads need to research their audience, prepare differently for each performance and put on a show. You've gotta be entertainin in order to attract paying audiences. This will give you negotiating rights when promoters make payment offers.

Cosign on all, except proofreading for free.

Didn't you read Mizi's editorial? Don' sell yourself short. If you're trained to be a writer/proofreader, then you should get paid for what you do.

I am extremely critical and I notice mistakes and they irritate the shit out of me, to the point that I'll often stop reading an article midway through, after finding two or three grammar or spelling errors. That's why I hardly read Hype.

One of the other reasons I hardly buy hype is the fact that I don't find it informative enough. Besides some nice stories about a few artists, I find that I usually spend ten minutes on the mag and then never look at it again. There's just not enough to it that makes me wanna go back and read it again. You should maybe think about hiring some good regular columinsts (hint, hint) and add some "intellectual" (word used in its most base form) value.

Before I buy it I usually look at who's on the disk first. If it looks interesting I'll buy. If not, I usually pa**.

I don;t know if this is also the approach of some other heads.

J-oNE/Pat-B-Rick

• http://www.soundclick.com/J-oNERSA
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +17/-30
  • I got the coolest shower door in S.A
    • View Profile
    • Beatz for Africa
A quik request. please make that king of th lab section part mre interestin. as a beat maker i feel its a lazy effort and i wanna see more. also i don wana no useless facts bout th producers life in there. please could u do sum bout that. thnk u

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Cats let a tiny bit of success go to their heads and start demanding crazy fees just because they've got a video on channel O.

crac*cough*

lol.
in Nigeria thats actually EXACTLY how it works!
My boy IGHO was tellin me, If ur on EXCLUSIVES on MTVBase(Heavy Rotation),your fee goes from whatever it was to 250k( NIRA!).
If ur on MtvBase and Channel O, ur FEE goes HIGHER!

Thats why Niga cats are REALLY STEPPIN UP THEY VIDEO GAME! and spending HUGE AMOUNTS on their videos now!
Have yall noticed also that they are shooting them right here in SA!
This is  cos the BETTER UR VIDEO, the more ROTATION! the more rotation, the more ur fee goes UP!

I wish we had this type of environment here man!
Like Nyambs is sayin! we ainttakin our shit serious!
Cats drop garbage videos,do shitty unrehearsed performances,look like trash(no image, no swag),then expect to get payed! u gotta give the consumer an experience! a lifestlye! not just a few punchlines and hot 16's! thats the easy part!
The hard part is moulding urself into a DESIRABLE BRAND!
Thats when corporates will f***s wit u!
Thats when promoters will pay u good!
Thats when consumers will cop yo CD!
When u are a DESIRABLE BRAND!
Its f***ing hard! beleive me i barely sleep doin th maths on that one!
@cash_sog