Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

My Rant: ON KWAITO!!!!

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Ok, I may be American but I've been listening to Kwaito since '99. At that time, I was listening to African Hip-Hop and other world music but I fell in love with the sound because it remided me of the days of Funky House music during my childhood. Not only that, it was a combination of Funky House and (commercial)
South African Hip Hop and Reggae. Being the only kid in my cla**room to listen to
the genre, I was an outcast but so what? I had a taste way different from anyone else. My Favorite artists were TKZee, Trompies, Mouzeland, O'demeester, Ghetto Luv, Abashante, Lekgoa (go'head, laugh...), M'du and a few others (I would've included Arthur but there was something too mainstream about him).

Over the years I was into the music but then became uninterested due to the
lack of websites supporting the scene but 8 years later, I'm starting to listen again but something is f***ed up................

Why the hell is there a divide in the genre? You have DJs like Brothers of Peace, DJ Sbu, and DJ Cleo (even though his House stuff is cool) doing House and Kwaito MCs like Kabelo, Zola, Tokollo (or Magesh), and Hip Hop Pantsula trying to become mainstream Hip Hop artists (like they're really doing Hip Hop ::)).

There's a few things I gotta say about this change, I HATE IT! Please return to the origional sound. This reminds me of when Garage divided into Grime and Dubstep. This divide sucks and to the "former" Kwaito rappers, no matter what
you try to be, "YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A FRIKIN' KWAITO ARTIST!! (this sorta excludes TKZee, since they started off as a Hip-Hop group)

That was my $20 rant...........

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
Yep, Tkzee... started out as a hip hop outfit...and fell to the pressure of the industry to switch and lighten they style up... listen to the first album (take it eezy)...which flopped big time... cus it was too hip hop

Mandoza too... their main influence, back in the days of the group Chiskop was , admittedly, ONYX and DMX... they were a  B-boy crew in fact ... as so was Oskido

Brickz also was once a rapper...in fact, all these cats come from a hip hop background...the FUNDAMENTAL

You cannot separate Kwaito from Hip hop in South  Africa
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:52:51 AM by churchofthe latterdayLatte »

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
yep...its business that makes these dudes switch..therez a whole lot of house dj's who were heads (dj china, dj claude, etc)...
money money yo...
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
^^^ cosign

Dj Sbu... first to sign Skwatta CAmp before they went to the majors
Fresh

damn everybody...

Totally feel what M-Point is saying.

@ church
Skwatta were not signed by DJ Sbu.Their manager and i think Co-owner of Buttabing was Sbu,not the Y-FM DJ.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Brickz also was once a rapper...in fact, all these cats come from a hip hop background...the FUNDAMENTAL
he must have sucked big time. cant stand this dudes hollering though his first hit song had a dope beat.

Yep, Tkzee... started out as a hip hop outfit...and fell to the pressure of the industry to switch and lighten they style up... listen to the first album (take it eezy)...which flopped big time... cus it was too hip hop
true

Mandoza too... their main influence, back in the days of the group Chiskop was , admittedly, ONYX and DMX... they were a  B-boy crew in fact ...

true and they were the only group at that time i think that sang shit i thought made a bit of sense than what other kwaito artist wrote repititive senseless lyrics. in fact they were the only that actually wrote shit that rhymes (i might be wrong).

You cannot separate Kwaito from Hip hop in South  Africa

you can. If your a**ociation of Kwaito to Hio-Hop is based on these artists musical background then your opinion sounds wrong to me. kwaito as a genre has more of a house background (if thats what Chrystal Waters and people b4 them were doing) more than anything.

Talking about TKZee(after Take It Easy) and the pressure that drove them to do Kwaito. When these dudes moved to kwaito they still didn’t want the a**ociation to the genre, in fact they called their style Guzz (sp) and they did sound a “bit” different from usual kwaito sound at that time.

Though i hate kwaito music as genre there have been a lot of artist that have done the dopest shit i’ve ever heard in my life, e.g.  Chiskop, Mashamplani, Mdu(including that Jazz-kwaito shit he did), TKZee, Makhendlas(Minwana Phezulu) , etc.  These artists have some of the dopest beats and made the genre stand out from other forms of music rather than sound like some slowed down house music.  Kwaito unfortunately for me has gone back to those house like beats again. But there are a few cats that at least try to keep that sound that i like e.g Brown Dash

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
^^^ cosign

Fresh

damn everybody...

@ church
Skwatta were not signed by DJ Sbu.Their manager and i think Co-owner of Buttabing was Sbu,not the Y-FM DJ.

dude, im telling you... look it up... befor Batta Bing

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
^^^ cosign

Fresh

damn everybody...

@ church

dude, im telling you... look it up... befor Batta Bing

will summon the hip-hop police on this one.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:08:06 PM by MrC »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
co-sign on kwaito goin all 125bpm these days....too "housy"

and what of this new style labeled "DKM" =Durban Kwaito Music?

them lvovo's, big nuz, etc...

only time will tell how far it goes.
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile

dont meant to perpetuate the disa**ociation to the usual Kwaito but the I like the way the durban cats ride a Kwaito/house beat. they sound really cool.

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile

dont meant to perpetuate the disa**ociation to the usual Kwaito but the I like the way the durban cats ride a Kwaito/house beat. they sound really cool.

Yeah...durban doing it right now. With those broads shouting absolute nothing in the back ground. That shit is fresh tho.
Lvovo's jam was pretty hot when it came out.
Beating bitches since 1982.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile

Yeah...durban doing it right now. With those broads shouting absolute nothing in the back ground. That shit is fresh tho.
Lvovo's jam was pretty hot when it came out.

not a kwaito cat but the baseline had me man...
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
its funny,i had been planning on starting a solid origional kwaito cd collection. kwaito was solid back in those days for real. skeem, oscar, arthur at times, trompies, alaska, mawillies, MDU (This guys beats and ba**lines were too sick!!!). those were the good old days of local music. anyone who knows where i can get such clasic albums for reasonable prices please pm me. even if you have an old album or something you want to sell
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile