• REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
Mo Molemi leaves the mic for peanuts   

By Lerato Matsaneng
3 September 2008

I have my artistic side and an agricultural side to my character

Mo Molemi is leaving the music industry. The rapper says he will release his final album at the end of the year before heading back to his family’s farm to do what he loves most - farming.

"I’m not bowing out, I’m packing my stuff and absconding, and I’m not hiding it. There is nothing that this industry can offer me anymore," he says.

His disillusionment has been building for some time.

Molemi, 27, used to be a member of the hip hop group Morafe.

Together with fellow members Towdee, Kay-G and Khuli, they started the group in 1997 and back then the group was named Il-tribe. In 2000 they changed their name to Morafe. When the group finally got their record deal and released their debut album Maru a Pula in June 2005, Molemi was not part of the deal because he had already decided to give it up. He officially left the group in 2006.

"I was sick and tired of the industry. It had consumed me and I just felt that I needed a break," he says.

LEARNING TO GROW

Instead, Molemi began working on his family’s farm on the border of Mafikeng and Botswana.

"It was the best three years of my life. I don’t think anything I’ve ever done can compare to the great time I had in those three years."

Molemi started off with a 2m x 1m vegetable plot and says that within a year he had increased his output to 3 hectares (300 metres square) with crops like maize, sunflowers, peanuts and vegetables.

"I always tell people that if God would have let me farm till I’m 80 years old, then I would have lived the best life ever."

Molemi says he has already supplied food retailers such as Spar and Fruit&Veg with fresh vegetables from his farm. He would like to expand this in future.

"My dream is to have all the local retailers selling Molemi vegetables," he says.

I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE

During the past three years he was farming, Molemi also worked on making a comeback to the industry.

In 2007 he released his debut album Amantsi. The album sold 7,000 copies. This is despite a generally positive reception for it, including his music getting airtime play.

"The record label failed me because they couldn’t match the demand for the album. I’m not bad-mouthing them, but just stating facts," he says.

"I produced music but I have not seen the fruits of my labour.

"I’m expected to make money from shows ... But I’m producing a product. (So I don’t see why) I’m expected to make a living by risking my life and travelling from one point to another...

"So I’m very disgruntled with the music industry," he says.

Currently attempts to get a comment from EMI have been unsuccessful. We have contacted Wandile Skhosana and Sydney Dlamini respectively who have referred us to Orack Chabangu, from whom we are awaiting a return call.

ONE MORE FOR MY FANS

Molemi says he will release one final album before the end of the year.

He and Tuks Senganga are planning a tour together to promote the release of their albums during the summer.

"This album will be for all my fans who supported me through the tough times... - and for an audience who want to hear music from someone with something to say," Molemi says. "I’m bidding them and the industry farewell."

cant say I disagree. The 'Industry' is not quite where its at..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:31:46 PM by emceeKasualT »
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog