Africasgateway.com

OH! noo! Zapiro Takes shots at JZ & ANC

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Coincidentally I was just on the Mail and Guardian site where someone already turned this into a race thing, claiming that Zapiro is out on making blacks look like raping savages.

What a load of bullshit. If you can't see the point of the cartoon ,you shouldn't be allowed an opinion and you shouldn't be allowed to read the paper even.

Even if there is a conspiracy against the man, I see no reason why he shouldn't be tried. That is the point of having a seperate judiciary and government. Let him have his day in court and prove himself innocent. There are no legal grounds for him not going to trial, so now they have resorted to threatening us with "worker's revolts".
What does he have to hide? Zaps is merely showing how his cronies are attempting to rape the judicial system.

Isn't this the same man who promised to reveal the "whole truth" if he were to have his day in court?

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
If the woman didn't have the 'justice system' thingy on, then it would be too much.

With that on it's quite relevant.

Even throughout history, a blind woman holding scales has always represented justice. As such, this is a perfect metaphor, and possibly a snide comment considering JZs previous endeavours.

SOYA DADDY

• BIG SPACE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +4/-3
  • www.myspace.com/spacevein
    • View Profile
    • Official BiG Space Music page
like i said, race is irrelevent...

Even throughout history, a blind woman holding scales has always represented justice. As such, this is a perfect metaphor, and possibly a snide comment considering JZs previous endeavours.

Anyone who has done a B.A will agree that anything, ANYTHING can be justified by semiotics. semiotic studies are so vague, they a**ume the reader knows the writers intention and inner motives.. but then again i could be wrong cause youre quite right about lady liberty...i hate political discussions, i hate arguing about things i can never win.

http://WWW.SPACESWAGGER.BLOGSPOT.COM
[IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd205/metalhead_xox/Animate

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=nw20080908112018657C833260

I particularly liked Jesse Duarte's comment that Zapiro has lost the capacity to "draw funny and clever cartoons."

This about his most telling, clever and lethal cartoon ever.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
i'm actually quite an avid fan of DAVID BULLARD.

so am I , :'( I thought he wouldve made a comeback by now
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
WASNT ZUMA WAS NOT PROVEN GUILTY FOR RAPE? WHY THE RAPE INSINUATION? COULDNT ZAPIRO HAVE THOUGHT UP OF ANOTHER ANGLE? MAYBE AN ANGLE WITH MORE TRUTHFUL CONNOTATIONS AND REFERENCES.

Totally agree. Im all for freedom of speech, but this is so uncalled for.

Well we all got our views about this but MR C I think Julius telling everyone that he will kill for Zuma is really uncalled for! For f***s sake your a politition not a f***ing gang member to start talking about killing! How would you feel if Obama started chanting he would kill for this and that! They are grown adults and should leadby example! Alot of off shore investors will stop the flow of money into this country if there is political instibility! What example are these guys setting?

I fwe got hooligans leading a country who is going to take us seriuosly?

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
Zapiro than did it, what the whole pack was afraid to tackle he done did it, and by the way.........I never ever saw Zapiro as being white, even though I knew he was white but I never saw the colour whenever I'm checking out his stuff.....He draws black,  god has humour.

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
Coincidentally I was just on the Mail and Guardian site where someone already turned this into a race thing, claiming that Zapiro is out on making blacks look like raping savages.

What a load of bullshit. If you can't see the point of the cartoon ,you shouldn't be allowed an opinion and you shouldn't be allowed to read the paper even.

Even if there is a conspiracy against the man, I see no reason why he shouldn't be tried. That is the point of having a seperate judiciary and government. Let him have his day in court and prove himself innocent. There are no legal grounds for him not going to trial, so now they have resorted to threatening us with "worker's revolts".
What does he have to hide? Zaps is merely showing how his cronies are attempting to rape the judicial system.

Isn't this the same man who promised to reveal the "whole truth" if he were to have his day in court?
You hit the hammer on the nail for me, such pervocative cartoons are needed. Peeped at Morning live this a.m ( as i do every a.m ) and there was atleast a good 30 minute discussion abt the repercussions of this cartoon, but less spoken abt the actual content and the truth of this cartoon.
Why is it that one hears more from the ppl ( whom I think are idiots ) behind JZ than his apposes?
What do we as a nation do if JZ doesnt get his day in court? Will we continue to let such a villian get away with major crimes , crimes that if an ordinary citizen like u and I had to commit we'd be serving a jail sentence right this minute. This aint about black and white no more, just right and wrong!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:15:03 AM by jay-lee »

polaris

• AG Hustler
  • IT IS I
    • View Profile
Masterpiece by Shapiro...the message here couldn't have been any clearer or any more appropriate.
The mere fact that this trial has been dragging on for so long alone makes the 'rape victim' a fitting personification of justice abuse.

Further to that is the fact that this Friday whether the High Court rules on whether or not it was unlawful for the NPA to charge JZ,
it still doesn't mean he will face trial before the elections next year.

The implications if he doesn't face trial before then and is voted into presidency?...he will probably never be charged at all, ever.

& once he is president: here's what's likely to happen ;D...I got the below article from the online "mail & guardian" archives:

[quote ]

nc nc nc....

January •  President Zuma is inaugurated at the Union Buildings. He announces that the buildings will henceforth be called the Fikile Mbalula Buildings after the spirited campaign put up by the Youth League leader.
•  Later in the month Schabir Shaik is appointed the Minister of Finance (Deputy: Brett Kebble); Mo Shaik is Minister of Intelligence; Yunus Shaik becomes the Minister of Justice; Chippy Shaik becomes Minister of Defence; with Terror Lekota as his deputy. Dominic Ntsele becomes the head of the Government Communication and Information System.

February

In his three-hour long inaugural State of the Nation address, the President announces his Nkandla homestead will become a second seat of government and include a special wing for his wives.

March

Finance minister Shaik tables his first budget. The defence budget outstrips social spending by 463%.

April
Kingsgate Clothing, owned by Schabir’s father-in-law Sadek Vahed, wins the contract to provide uniforms to the defence force. Ntsele labels critical media reports a "counter-revolutionary figment of the imagination".

May

The president introduces a national minimum wage of R4000 for workers to thank the Congress of South African Trade Unions for its support in his presidential campaign. Reports in the Mail & Guardian quote Zwelinzima Vavi as saying "we have been vindicated". Business Day reports that Bobby Godsell is emigrating to Russia.

June
The president closes down the Scorpions and replaces it with a new crime-fighting unit called "the Pussycats". Headed by ANC chief whip Mbulelo Goniwe, the unit will answer only to the ANC in Parliament and will be expressly barred from investigating any government employee above the rank of cleaner.

July
The president is overheard asking an aide: "Who’s that guy with the long dress and funny hat again?" at the ninth African heads of state meeting.  Minutes later Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo comes into view.

August

On national Women’s Day, the president suggests in a speech at Nkandla that his countrymen marry as many wives as possible "to keep our women safe". He takes a fifth wife. His approval ratings soar.

The president a**umes leadership of the KwaZulu-Natal branch of "Virginity for Morality" and generously offers to test the first 50 young women himself — "It’s a tough job but I am prepared to do it to show the youth how committed I am to the values of abstinence and chastity".

September

Finance minister Shaik introduces a Bill into Parliament recommending 20% increases for all office-bearers.

October

"Now this is a man I can do business with," says French President Jacques Chirac as the president jets out after a state visit and an arms-buying spree.

Chirac throws in a handful of ageing Mirage III’s, promises never to bomb our air force, pledges ma**ive offsets and a multimillion-rand skills development project based in Atlantis, training the unemployed in the fine art of making pain au chocolat.

November

Foreign Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma resigns after the president tells her to "leave it to Jacques" when she books the jet to head to the Côte d’Ivoire.

The president outlawsthe use of double-barrelled surnames by ex-wives.

December
Former President Thabo Mbeki is amba**ador to the African Union, based in Addis Ababa from where he still writes his weekly Internet column Letter from the ex-president. The new president is not a man of letters.

[/quote]

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:33:28 AM by polaris »

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
Some funny shit! but i think the issue with this piece is not whether there is a smear campaign against JIGGA or whether jigga supporters are making silly statements... its rather the use of "rape" as metaphor, he really could have used any other metaphor.. intersting point below from SABC

http://www.sabcnews.com/south_africa/general/0,2172,176528,00.html

Shapiro may have gone too far
However, Law expert, Pierre de Vos says Shapiro might have gone too far by depicting rape in the cartoon. "I would just think that one should think very carefully before one uses rape as a metaphor in cartoons because I think in the end could possibly lead to the cheapening of the whole experience of rape and maybe some women will agree with the cartoon but I think there might be other women who won't agree with it.

Just a note: There is a cartoonist in Zambia called Clarke  aka Kalaki - who also came up with a controversial cartoon about the late president Levy mwanawasa - comparing the president to a monkey or an elephant (cant remember) - well his a** was deported- even though he is a zambian citizen. Luckily the supreme court overturned the decision.

sero147

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
then what metaphor should he have used coz thats what these cats are trying to do, here is a scenario for you to think about, JZ's case goes to trial after the elections and he is president the first thing him and his cronies are going to do is change the constitution so that no sitting president can go to court or be charged. me thinks that is raping the constitution. 

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
shiiiyyyyyyyyt he is the clever dude...nigga better look through a thesauraus or something!!! i bet there are other metaphors for the situation...

im sure dude could have found other clever ways to insult politicians as he always does....

imagine they put a jewish dude with gas chambers in these cartoons.. suddenly peeps would be up in arms.. ur always gonna get a reaction from this shit.. but dont always expect people to suddenly accept ur opinion on shit period.

polaris

• AG Hustler
  • IT IS I
    • View Profile
shiiiyyyyyyyyt he is the clever dude...nigga better look through a thesauraus or something!!! i bet there are other metaphors for the situation...

im sure dude could have found other clever ways to insult politicians as he always does....

imagine they put a jewish dude with gas chambers in these cartoons.. suddenly peeps would be up in arms.. ur always gonna get a reaction from this shit.. but dont always expect people to suddenly accept ur opinion on shit period.

What metaphor would you have used that would highlight in a concievable way the kind of abomination of justice by a political figure/s?

sero147

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
"It’s the nature of the medium — it’s supposed to do what it does. It’s not meant to make us feel warm and fuzzy and patriotic and ready to take up arms to defend the leader. It’s designed to get us talking. At least we’re now talking." this is a quote from a dude at the M&G...if u want to read the whole article here is the link...http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/jonathanberger/2008/09/09/in-defence-of-zapiro/