Africasgateway.com

OH! noo! Zapiro Takes shots at JZ & ANC

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i don't buy that zapiro's cartoon is cheapening the whole experience of rape, that's bullshit. if anything, it's showing how shocking the 'rape' of justice and democracy is. i honestly can't think of a better metaphor for what's going down.

what else is as shocking as rape? maybe zuma would prefer to be portrayed as a child abuser or a ma** murderer? somehow i don't think showing him stealing an apple from a market stall would convey the seriousness of the situation.

zuma's supporters are deflecting attention away from the real issue (the rape of democracy) and painting zuma as zapiro's victim. even if the allegations of rape were unfounded, i find it hard to feel sorry for a man who is riding roughshod over the legal system - this is the real issue here - not whether zuma is being slandered.

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
shiiiyyyyyyyyt he is the clever dude...nigga better look through a thesauraus or something!!! i bet there are other metaphors for the situation...

im sure dude could have found other clever ways to insult politicians as he always does....

imagine they put a jewish dude with gas chambers in these cartoons.. suddenly peeps would be up in arms.. ur always gonna get a reaction from this shit.. but dont always expect people to suddenly accept ur opinion on shit period.

What metaphor would you have used that would highlight in a concievable way the kind of abomination of justice by a political figure/s?

^^^ Look there are various ways he could have said it.. he could have said.."robbing" the justice system.."cheating" the justice system but Rape... thats the only suitable angle? please....

and if this an abomination of the justice system, than thats a system error which governmental checks and balances are supposed to pick up. If a brother is able to pick the loopholes in the system, does that equate to rape?? and i mean really, was the showerhead necessary??? what is he saying? The Justice system might have aids??? - you see how these things can be interpreted. And the matter of the fact is he was acquited from the rape charge, bringing that shit up is foul....raping the system fair enough..but there was no need to bring in the shower-head element...

secondly, those croonies that people keep bringin up...people are not looking at the deeper issues here. The Youth league cat said they would kill for zuma or whatever....How come cats didnt come forward and say they wouldnt kill for zuma?? shows that niggas were willing to ride with him??? doesnt it? so thats a society issue.. and those croonies have support.. so is part of society raping the justice system??

anyways im glad people are talking about real shit.

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
ok i admit im not so enlightened on south african politics...but maybe someone can tell me what the "shock" and "abomination" is in the whole zuma ordeal?

sero147

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
the shower head depicts the statements dude made about taking a shower after having sex with a person with HIV/AIDS and that statement was never retracted and anyways ever since he made those comments, Zapiro has always done his cartoons about Zuma with the shower head there, why does it become an issue now?
@ DJ PEEWEE, u from Zambia right, didnt former President Chiluba change the constitution so that he wouldnt face corruption charges and what would stop JZ from doing the same?

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
I don't think, in this context Zapiro meant rape in sexual context of the word. It's more of a power thing. Zuma and friends are stripping the justice system of it's power and doing with it as they wish. I don't think rob or even cheat would've appropriately represented the extent of the situation.
Look Ma'at has been a symbol for justice for so long it's only obvious that he'd use it now, it's just unfortunate that Zuma has a history with rape.
Zapiro's illustration was on point, in every way.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
shiiiyyyyyyyyt he is the clever dude...nigga better look through a thesauraus or something!!! i bet there are other metaphors for the situation...

im sure dude could have found other clever ways to insult politicians as he always does....

imagine they put a jewish dude with gas chambers in these cartoons.. suddenly peeps would be up in arms.. ur always gonna get a reaction from this shit.. but dont always expect people to suddenly accept ur opinion on shit period.

What metaphor would you have used that would highlight in a concievable way the kind of abomination of justice by a political figure/s?

^^^ Look there are various ways he could have said it.. he could have said.."robbing" the justice system.."cheating" the justice system but Rape... thats the only suitable angle? please....

and if this an abomination of the justice system, than thats a system error which governmental checks and balances are supposed to pick up. If a brother is able to pick the loopholes in the system, does that equate to rape?? and i mean really, was the showerhead necessary??? what is he saying? The Justice system might have aids??? - you see how these things can be interpreted. And the matter of the fact is he was acquited from the rape charge, bringing that shit up is foul....raping the system fair enough..but there was no need to bring in the shower-head element...

secondly, those croonies that people keep bringin up...people are not looking at the deeper issues here. The Youth league cat said they would kill for zuma or whatever....How come cats didnt come forward and say they wouldnt kill for zuma?? shows that niggas were willing to ride with him??? doesnt it? so thats a society issue.. and those croonies have support.. so is part of society raping the justice system??

the shower head element is there to remind us what kind of person is being portrayed. ie. a criminally ignorant person (for someone in his position).

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
the shower head depicts the statements dude made about taking a shower after having sex with a person with HIV/AIDS and that statement was never retracted and anyways ever since he made those comments, Zapiro has always done his cartoons about Zuma with the shower head there, why does it become an issue now?
@ DJ PEEWEE, u from Zambia right, didnt former President Chiluba change the constitution so that he wouldnt face corruption charges and what would stop JZ from doing the same?

^^ naw hommie... chiluba didnt change the consitution. he wanted to change the consititution so he could serve a 3rd term in office which is unconstitutional over here. And chiluba is still on trial now for the corruption charges... but at the end of the day he is just delaying the trial...due to the flaws in the justice system... thats an inherent flaw in the justice system...

@ the showerhead stee-lo... if thats the case that he is always drawn with showerhead... then i retract my statement on that.....

however, all i am saying is this. fair enough people are enraged over the whole ordeal... but as you know everything has limits and statements like this are bound to envoke a reaction...and when people get angry dont expect them all to symphathise with the intellectuals (or whoever), they also have a right to disagree! thats also part of democracy isnt it? Its just like when the new yorker drew obama in that arab outfit and his wife in the militant fatigue... peeps were saying its offside? why? coz obama is a likeable fellow????? (not to say that i wasnt enraged). i just think a lot of these arguments have double standards........

polaris

• AG Hustler
  • IT IS I
    • View Profile

ever since the rape story, Zapiro's cartoons refering to Zuma have always had the shower head...it's a pun.

You say above "that he could have said cheating or robbing the justice system" but remember that as a cartoonist cat had to use almost entirely the visual element to portray this. And in my opinion, if he'd given it a less provocative image, it wouldn't have aroused the same impact or such controversy.

Personally, the minute I saw the paper, I discerned and agreed immediately with wut was being portrayed and was in no way offended by it. Besides why is it such a big deal that Zapiro used rape, isn't Zuma the same man who in defense of his "rape case", said that as a traditional Zulu man; he had an obligation to havesex with the woman because of how she was dressed...somehow, it just seems fitting that he be a**ociated with such anyway.

However, I do realise that we've had this discusssion and he was acquitted but when I think about such a statement, I still think of what kind of president he would make. Is that the kind of values he would instill in our kids?Arguments like that are uncalled for and plus they violate every other man who might happen to be Zulu and does not believe in that...If those were his personal beliefs, cool but he didn't need to blemish the whole zulu nation....sorry for the backtrack it's just that cat's whole thing just sweats the f outta me!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:45:19 PM by polaris »

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
PeeWee, you say that he has found a loophole in the system and should be given credit for that, cos you don't see how this amounts to rape.

I a**ume that you're not South African or you haven't a clue what is really going down.

Since he couldn't find a loophole and the NPA erred initially by charging him and Shaick seperately, he is now clutching at straws to stay out of jail. I wonder if Shaick will be let out of jail if he isn't charged, because technically you can't have a corruptor, without a corruptee.

Instead of him being preosecuted, his supporters are now asking for a "political solution" to these charges. What the f***!! a political solution to criminal charges?
They claim that if he is to be charged, the workers will rise up and this could plunge SA into anarchy. No workers that I know made any such claims before they mentioned it, which leads me to believe that this "warning" was nothing more than a veiled call to arms and a threat on the judiciary to bend to their will or risk plunging us into armed conflict.

All of this bullshit is really just an attempt to stall his trial, so that he can change the constitution when he's in power to prevent him from being preosecuted then.

We just spent about 30 minutes of our diary meeting discussing this cartoon, and I have to admit, even among some of the white folk here, they feel Zaps went to far. Our editor admitted that he wouldn't have published it.

I say f*** it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:00:00 PM by Nathan Dayspring Askani'son »

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
PeeWee, you say that he has found a loophole in the system and should be given credit for that, cos you don't see how this amounts to rape.

I a**ume that you're not South African or you haven't a clue what is really going down.

Since he couldn't find a loophole and the NPA erred initially by charging him and Shaick seperately, he is now clutching at straws to stay out of jail. I wonder if Shaick will be let out of jail if he isn't charged, because technically you can't have a corruptor, without a corruptee.

Instead of him being preosecuted, his supporters are now asking for a "political solution" to these charges. What the f***!! a political solution to criminal charges?
They claim that if he is to be charged, the workers will rise up and this could plunge SA into anarchy. No workers that I know made any such claims before they mentioned it, which leads me to believe that this "warning" was nothing more than a veiled call to arms and a threat on the judiciary to bend to their will or risk plunging us into armed conflict.

All of this bullshit is really just an attempt to stall his trial, so that he can change the constitution when he's in power to prevent him from being preosecuted then.

We just spent about 30 minutes of our diary meeting discussing this cartoon, and I have to admit, even among some of the white folk here, they feel Zaps went to far. Our editor admitted that he wouldn't have published it.

I say f*** it.

No im not south african... and i didnt say that he should be given credit for it. he is applying pressure to the judicial system... but at the moment he is not president...and where is ur president in all of this?? There are still various means to combat this issue and you all know it. If no one is going to stand up and fight as u are saying..then why arent judges throwing up the middle finger??? If people are going to stand up and fight, then u have bigger and deeper problems...

I completely understand what you are saying pyro it is bullshit...but what im saying is this it isnt rape..because there are still various means to resist this pressure, which are not being applied. (1). The government or the president who still has overiding political rule (2). Parliament - which can still deny Zuma constitutional changes...etc. all in all, if these are overidden and mbeki and co do nothing then u have a flawed political system. period!  I'll tell u what rape of a judicial system is... is what good old uncle bob did a couple of years back..changing all kinds of laws and overiding court judgements to release votes thats rape of democracy.

Quick Question? Did winnie mandela go to jail for the 60+ counts of fraud?

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
It's like a guy who's after an attractive woman just for sex, when he is exposed for his real intentions, he will use any weapon at his disposal to deny his real intentions, he will say for example that people are jealous or something. Same thing with the rock band(alliance), they are using every weapon they have to keep the rock band leader (Zuma) out of jail ha ha ha hah ha
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:23:52 PM by New,Jack »

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
No im not south african... and i didnt say that he should be given credit for it. he is applying pressure to the judicial system... but at the moment he is not president...and where is ur president in all of this?? There are still various means to combat this issue and you all know it. If no one is going to stand up and fight as u are saying..then why arent judges throwing up the middle finger??? If people are going to stand up and fight, then u have bigger and deeper problems...

I completely understand what you are saying pyro it is bullshit...but what im saying is this it isnt rape..because there are still various means to resist this pressure, which are not being applied. (1). The government or the president who still has overiding political rule (2). Parliament - which can still deny Zuma constitutional changes...etc. all in all, if these are overidden and mbeki and co do nothing then u have a flawed political system. period!  I'll tell u what rape of a judicial system is... is what good old uncle bob did a couple of years back..changing all kinds of laws and overiding court judgements to release votes thats rape of democracy.

Quick Question? Did winnie mandela go to jail for the 60+ counts of fraud?

The problem is that Mbeki is powerless in all this. After Polokwane he is basically just a figurehead (not that he meant much before this). He has no say, because the ANC and its allies and their supporters already view Zuma as the president.

Malema's statement that he and others will "kill for Zuma" seems to be prophetic. Now they are threatening to take up arms, and actually do what he promised. They call it a warning, but I call it a threat, because that is what they are trying to convinve supporters to do, should the judges do as you say and "give the finger".

Zuma used to say that he wants his day in court, but as this day draws nearer, he seems very content to sit back and let his mob threaten our judiciary and constitution in order to prevent his day in court.

We are at a very precarious position now. Do we allow these people to dictate to us and let Zuma off the hook? This will mean that he is totally above the law and what is tho stop other ANC members to follow in his footsteps then?

Or, do we go ahead and prosecute and even convict him? This will mean we might see violence countrywide, since the Malemas and Blades won't stand for it. They have already promised to protest in front of the court on Friday, where his fate will be decided, in their thousands. workers are taking days off and losing salaries in order to support him ,because they have been indoctrinated to believe that he is above the law and all will be better under a Zuma presidency.

I hate the fact that I'll be sitting in a test venue on Friday, when all this is going down.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

sero147

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
no she never went to jail for that, why? because she is not some power hungry fool like JZ, she took the rap and what did the ANC do, the ANC took care of her... JZ went on about how he would name and shame others involved and we are where we are today.
Even if JZ is found guilty he will not go to prison, he served time during apartheid and there is no way he is going to go to prison in the new dispensation whether we like it or not or whether its right or wrong.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
This is what Hayibo had to say about the matter.

ANC, with 15 million votes and new warships, frightened by cartoon

PRETORIA. Party insiders have confirmed that despite having a guaranteed two-thirds majority in the next election, the entire GDP at its disposal, R30-billion worth of high-tech weaponry, and complete control of the national broadcaster, the ANC has been "badly frightened" by a controversial cartoon by Jonathan Shapiro depicting the rape of South Africa's justice system by Jacob Zuma.

The cartoon appeared over the weekend in the Sunday Times and immediately unleashed a storm of activity at the ANC's headquarters in Luthuli House, where an alert level of 'Mshini Wami 4' was declared.

It was the first time Luthuli House has gone to 'Mshini Wami 4', the previous highest being 'Mshini Wami 2', declared in 2006 after Zuma had his account with Amazon.com suspended over late payment for a consignment of books which included the collected works of Freud and an illustrated beginner's guide to the work of Germaine Greer.

Addressing the Luthuli House press corps this morning, party spokesman Doughnut Phiri said that Shapiro needed to be "eliminated, destroyed or killed, both literally and/or metaphorically and/or metaphysically, or whichever one we are allowed to do by the Human Rights Commission".

Asked why the ANC and its allies had chosen to present an outraged united front against a solitary cartoonist rather than against Aids, crime, or the abuse of women, Phiri said that Shapiro was "more dangerous than Aids, criminals and women combined".

He declined to explain how this was the case, but said it was "logical to everyone but racists and counterrevolutionaries".

He added that the state could still decide to pursue Shapiro "with everything at its disposal".

This included four corvettes, one manned submarine and two unmanned submarines on bricks, six Swedish fighter jets flown by pilots leased from the Botswana Air Force, an oral poet named SlamSista Mzanzi, 15 million loyal voters, and a slightly soiled copy of the Constitution.

Shapiro could not be reached for comment this morning as he is currently in New York attending a United Nations-sponsored conference called 'South African Leadership: An Oxymoron For Our Times'.