Africasgateway.com

steve biko memorial lecture

king daniel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/danielinfluence
10 September 2008

Finance Minister, Trevor A Manuel, will deliver the ninth Annual Steve Biko Memorial Lecture on 11 September 2008, at the University of Cape Town.

The Annual Steve Biko Memorial Lecture is a flagship of the Steve Biko Foundation and has taken place annually since 2000. It is intended to provide an opportunity to reflect upon the legacy of Bantu Stephen Biko in relation to contemporary issues, particularly regarding the challenges of development and nation building.

The lecture has in the past been delivered by luminaries such as former president Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and President Thabo Mbeki. Attendees include political leaders, members of the international community and local community members.

Date: 11 September 2008
Time: 18h00
Venue: Jameson Hall, Upper Campus, University of Cape Town

Please note that seating is on a first come, first served basis.

Issued by: Ministry of Finance
10 September 2008
when friends are dark days are few

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
am on it..
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Thanks for this.
Will def check it out.

More on Steve Biko memorial 2moro a six to xix pan African jam at the Pan African market:

http://www.chimurenga.co.za/

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
10 September 2008

Finance Minister, Trevor A Manuel, will deliver the ninth Annual Steve Biko Memorial Lecture on 11 September 2008, at the University of Cape Town.

The Annual Steve Biko Memorial Lecture is a flagship of the Steve Biko Foundation and has taken place annually since 2000. It is intended to provide an opportunity to reflect upon the legacy of Bantu Stephen Biko in relation to contemporary issues, particularly regarding the challenges of development and nation building.

The lecture has in the past been delivered by luminaries such as former president Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and President Thabo Mbeki. Attendees include political leaders, members of the international community and local community members.

Date: 11 September 2008
Time: 18h00
Venue: Jameson Hall, Upper Campus, University of Cape Town

Please note that seating is on a first come, first served basis.

Issued by: Ministry of Finance
10 September 2008

smh

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
^pretty much the reason im pa**ing on this right now. dope signature pic by the way, man. i dig it. and yo Naturelle! thanks for the heads up. definitely making my way over there. who knows, i might even get to meet Stacy Hardy.

in person:o

Alcatel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-3
  • wa gwan?
    • View Profile

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
going to miss this. take a sip of that elixir for the other peoples childrens.

More on Steve Biko memorial 2moro a six to xix pan African jam at the Pan African market:
http://www.chimurenga.co.za/

and then also: www.panafricanspacestation.org.za

its the launch of the pan african space station online radio which is the precursor for or forms part of the pan african space station programme which is a series of musical interventions/shows of both international and local acts docking into cape town in early october.

http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=23898.0

- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
What I meant to was  a Jam session from 1pm today to 1pm tomorrow. No sleeping! Going there straight after work, wish I coudllstay the whole 24 hours but obligations, plans....

More details below and on Rhoze's link above:

Pan African Space Station launches online today with a 24 hour performance in Cape Town in honour of Steve Biko.
The much anticipated online launch of the Pan African Space Station (Pa**), kicks off today with a live broadcast of an innovative 24-hour long event that starts at 1pm at the Pan African Market in Long Street, Cape Town. The launch, purposefully set for today - the anniversary of Steve Biko’s death in detention - takes the form of a performance that is entitled Songs for Biko and Other Stomps Screams and Prayers, and includes a marathon reading of his book, I Write What I Like.Conceptualised by Neo Muyanga and Ntone Edjabe, in partnership with the Africa Centre, the Pa** will encourage Capetonians and visitors to engage with the rich and complex web of creative expression that binds Africans throughout this continent and the rest of the world. "The music from the African continent and diaspora is not easily defined-we're deliberately disrupting the genre basis and looking at how music relates to politics, religion, poverty and access," Muyanga said in a recent article with the Argus Tonight.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:31:03 AM by Naturelle »

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Did anyone make it to the lecture?
Trevor talks a lot of sense, I'm glad I went. Calling everyone to action...

BUT: His statement that 1 in every 4 South Africans is dependent on Government welfare in some way, that wa steh first time I heard that. Is anyone familiar with these stats? Did I hear wrong?

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
^yeah Trevor's a straight shooter and i admire that. always got a practical objective: always raring to go. but they really need to stop talking over bantu's grave. this fetishization, above all else, is what repels me from these gigs. his name mostly gets used as a footnote to spur off some shit that's completely divergent (not opposite) to what he was on. anyway, i digress.

BHLAKHROZE, are the Blk Jks going to be playing at Mowbray Hall or is it just Anthony Joseph and the Spasm Band? heard whispers...

king daniel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/danielinfluence
Against a backdrop of colonial architecture-from the Herbert Baker facades to the Cape Dutch homesteads which litter the Western Cape and Cape Town in general, the street and highway names, schools and hospitals, dedicated to colonialists and slavemaster statues, one is so often reminded that nothing has changed in these parts. In our 14 plus years of liberation from apartheid, which was subsequently replaced by tripartheid, the lesson we have all learned is perhaps most aptly personified by our present-day crime stats. So gross is the situation that it affects even those at the upper echelons of our currently elitist society. The only ones unaffected are the nativistic denialists who sit with their heads in the clouds and eyes wide shut, oblivious to the obvious.
In 1652, we are told that a certain Jan Van Riebeck landed on our shores at what is known by the rich as Camps Bay. This makes the bay of pigs our very own Plymouth Rock. This was, I can safely a**ume, an area inhabited by a vast populus of people who practiced a lifestyle which may have been viewed as primitive by the standards of the Dutch sailors. However, instead of allowing this way of life to continue unabated, the Dutch went about implementing the original RDP(rape,devastation and pillage)of the Khoi San and other indigenous peoples. This ultimaltely resulted in (a) the so-called coloured race, and (b) the cape flats. If these men and women were aware how the situation would turn out 400 years later, perhaps they would themselves have deviated from their plans of settlement on our shores.
I was once told that the reason why the white people of Cape Town are so security conscious is largely due to the fact that they are in actual fact aware of the fact that they are thieves. The fact is, no one has ever had the courage to take any member or offspring of the settlers and overseas overseers to suit for theft of their land. Instead, we have been forced to accept donations and such from sympathetic governments as compensation for the loss of our birthright. The Land Claims Commission has done little or nothing to remedy the irrepeairable situation.

Most white families continue to own two or three homes, sometimes acquiring property simply for developmental purposes or profit. The fact is, there are more than enough houses in this province to house us all. And enough food to feed us sevenfold. Enough clothing is manufactured here for us all to change every day. Yet those who complain or cry out are merely viewed as threats to national security and so on. That's what they call a revolutionary nowadays.

Presently, it appears the succesion debate has been somewhat settled. The corruptors have voted the corrupt into power and so on, in order to ensure us and our future generations another 10 years or more of shitocracy. Thus, the brain drain we so often complain of is in order. For anyone with a sound mind knows that the black, gold and green gra** of home is clearly not in the hands of the descendants of those who died for it.

I leave you with this afterthought: During the recent power outages in Gauteng, there was a ma**ive power failure which affected the city in its entirety. The only building which still miraculously had power was the Goldfields building. What does this spell out? Those elected to power have been placed in these positions as a mere formality.

Happy Biko Day!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:42:23 AM by king daniel »
when friends are dark days are few

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
The corruptors have voted the corrupt into power and so on, in order to ensure us and our future generations another 10 years or more of shitocracy.

so true :(
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
I leave you with this afterthought: During the recent power outages in Gauteng, there was a ma**ive power failure which affected the city in its entirety. The only building which still miraculously had power was the Goldfields building. What does this spell out?

alternatively it may simply be due to the fact that they generate their own electricity..
& while in agreement with u on many points in ur polemic diatribe.. i am loathe to accept it in its entirety..
will give it a proper critique & post it sometime this wknd.. 1

we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato