Africasgateway.com

Local Hip Hop magazine (Outkast on the cover of its first is

MentalGymnast

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://Local Men Of Mystery
comments?
what do you think of the choice of articles on its cover?
J-Sec vs. die Kaap? - is there really anything?
Obie Trice? - Why? Who is dis? (before I´m shot down I do know who Obie is) Detroit of all places?
Pitch black Afro?- Atleast something Illing (don´t hate!)
exclusive interviews?

what about this magazine is makes it a local hip hop mag?, it seems very much like any other "youth culture" publication (Americana) not very local, not very Original.

I´m judging all of this on the cover which isn´t fair, but its all I´ve got right now. maybe its more local and fresh on the inside (don´t judge a book by its cover, is a magazine a book?).

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
it does look f***ing dodgy. 2 b honest im not intrested in it but like u said,JUDGIN A BOOK BY ITS COVER
XO.WITHTANK.COM

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
sounds WHORE-rible to me... i´d heard about this thing n thought, it might suck... Now i´m convinced it does... But Hey! maybe it´ll get better as it goes along... But then again, maybe not... Oh well Phuck it! I´ll buy the 2nd issue n decide
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
what´s so local about outkast?
i saw something like the launch price is R9.95, if that´s true then
it´s gonna sell.
i ain´t saying nothing till the first three issues drop

Anonymous

we´re only gonna get kak content if we sit on our a**es and wait on SL magazine or any other outsiders (to hip-hop) to start magazines...and when we start our own magazines, they are badly organised and dont drop frequently enuf...that´s a nice price huh??

Anonymous

your daughter was nice girl now she´s a slut...
oh what? your burning!!!

morph

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
well lets see
1. they "claim" to be the only hip hop magazine in sa [who ever did their research on that "opinion" is stupid, blind or seriously misinformed (maybe i should not push that point too much when was the last copy of "da juice" printed anyway it was shit hardto get a copy if you were in j-section)have they ever heard of juice or lavitation   you nthato where da next issue at

2. being a local content magazine why feature an internatoinal artist in the cover (i´m not hating ) but they could have put someone or crew like skwatta or h2o tumi and the voume ...(the list goes on and on)

3.pitch black afro is nice but is the cat hip hop or maybe he has his own style which may not fit with what my look at hip hop maybe (not hating cat is nice)

4.another thing that i see mental gymnast did not note on is the eye candy feature bout "x-rated music videos"

i feel there is just one thing missing the bling aspect of this

look at this they got everything
the international feature
obie trice
pitchblack
give aways
the sex aspect

they are just missing the fashion part of it "the bling "

for me i think i will only read the issue at cna and see if i can save my bones or feed them to the dogs

it´s up to you man but this is what i see they got it all but the major factor that will make me spend money on the is the hight of the litriture of jurnalism in it

morph and out

one  you nthato where da next issue at
..Insanity is coasting throught life in a miserable existance when you have a key to a lion locked inside

Anonymous

levitation...where art thou??
levitation is restructuring...
working our a**es off so we can take down the price, have nation wide distribution and bring the funk more frequent...
it´s a hussle!

the magazine will drop at the end of august.
before levitation drops, there will be two PEANUTBUTTER KARMA II shows, in joburg(?) and kaapstad(14) in august...!!

as far as hype goes...i just hope that it´s not on some bullshite...i hope it makes us all richer(throu exposing our blood, sweat and fear...artists) and smarter(throu stimulating, intellegent writting), not just lining the pockets of SL ma**iv (aka the predominantly white establishment) and the major record companies (i.e. universal etc...the predominantly white establishment)...it could be devil ina blue dresss...it may be our messiah...

nthato
look who´s burning

Anonymous

levitation at the end of august.
two promo parties.
charity benefits.

MentalGymnast

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
No doubt, its seems extremely fishy.
SL magazine are smart though, the magazine has been slowly shifting ts focus to "black" popular culture (cause thats where the cash is at) and this Hype is just another way to milk the Hip Hop cash cow (and even more because Hip Hop appeals to the entire social strata from rich white and black middle cla** kids to working cla** youth).

I think (I´m guessing its) Nthato is right, all we should do is hope that it has solid writing and have atleast a love for Hip Hop (regardless of how skewed it is, who am I to speak ), And most important   use it to for the good of Hip Hop (whatever you think that is) and build the scene
basically pimp the system

M-Thaks

Looking forward to the next issue and of course PEANUT BUTTER KARMA, its time for all these capetown cats to prove themselves and bring the quality, we´ve been waiting our whole lives

[ This message was edited by: MentalGymnast on 15-06-2004 23:31 ]

Anonymous

the problem is that i am not sure that we know exactly when we are pimping the system and when it is pimping us....
example, a b-boy in a tv advert gets exposure...sure, but the company being advertised gets a million times the exposure as the brand is being a**ociated with the pulse of the children...the future...us!

let´s say artists get on(in the magazine)...how many units will they push versus how many readers does the magazine gain and how much advertising cash does the magazine get off the sweat of artists...and will the money be put back into the hip-hop commmunity??

i´m pretty scepticle of anyone in the third world claiming to exclusively e a Hip-hop magazine with all the issues we have under our hats and in our pants...i think its product placement...a fashion and music catalogue!!

they could off course, gradually buy their way to the illest design, sickest fotography, nicest writers, dopest concepts...and almost accidentaly be one of the freshest magazines in the hip-hop world when all they wanted to was sell shell toes and 50cent shoes...but i think that will lie in their initial intentions.

they may also help Hip-Hop spread into the most obscure areas of Saq due to their CNA disro...producing more artists, diverse styles and ideas etc.

great things could come out the money well...i just bthink that it´s a shame that outsiders from the Hip-Hop community are doing it...what would be if we had the monay well...and the business savvy!!

nthato
rolling with teh lench mob

Anonymous

sheeeeeeeeeeeeet!
i´d rather watch shane or ebonycat or MakOne or Khoi or Space vein or Lazy sam become a millionaire than random non-hip-hop people, just because they had the backing to get it off...

there is definalty a market.
i fukenn bug everytime i go back to joburg to see a hiphop scene that use to have not that many girls(let alone sexy ones), packed with tonnes of hot high-school groupie types and headwrap sistren types...for me that is an interesting mark of success, because guys will want to be where the females are. the music that makes the girls scream will be the popular music...not necesarily, but i think its a mark of success...

right now, more than ever in the history of sa ip-hop...it is a viable option. the capitalists will capitalise on this...

nthato

MentalGymnast

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Of course you´re right Nthato, the company is def getting millions more than anyone attempting to Pimp it.
but the company will make millions regardless of whether not we attempt to pimp it, the problem with the whole situation is whether or not heads sell out by endorsing goods, its one thing to make money off coporate SA´s new love of Hip Hop but too many cats become the poster boys (bitches!) of the advertising world.

If real Hip Hop heads don´t buy the coporate world´s vibe, the companies will make their own Hip Hop celebs.  who´d you rather have dominating the scene?

Joburg groupies? I´ve only ever seen them at Skwatta and Tumi and the Volume Shows and those porky rasta-wannabe women don´t count, they smell and act funny after smoking weed.
Real heads (females) don´t have time for my mack! :-Y

M-Thaks

MentalGymnast

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Good luck Nthato (on capitalising), there is money out there if you need it (Umsombomvu Youth Fund!!-they are sitting on piles of cash)!