Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Racism in our hip hop

1kind · 33 · 12157

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
I'm doing research on the racial divisions  in hip hop. Do any of ya'll have experiences of racism in you hip hop life??? lemme know ...
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

1kind

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Proceed young bald  caucasian male with an uncanny resemblance to dudes from american history x..lol
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Proceed young bald  caucasian male with an uncanny resemblance to dudes from american history x..lol

Thanks, knobhead dishing out tired movie references. :D I shake my shiny, black, curly Jewish locks in your general direction and turn up my hook nose at you.

Any white kid (or asian kid, or Indian kid) into hip-hop encounters racism at some point. It is a sad facet of the culture and unquestionably needs to change. I've experienced a lot less over the years though, and much of what I have experienced has not been outright.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
yep, they used to lable me as "the coloured girl that listen to hip-hop to hang around niggas "

((( HIP-HOP 4 LIFE BABY! )))

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
man i have expirienced too mcuh f***ing racism in my hip hop life

i remember last year when i was performing in queenstown on some white local cafe, the muf***ers booooed at my a** the moment i stepped on the stage, this time i was not there for some rap ish, i was there with some buncha local kids

we were touring queens tryina spread and motivate the word " abstain" so we was just going around places and singing for people about hiv and aids, i thought the ish was what people wanted mayn, i thought its what they enjoyed hearing from the youth, but i was wrong, the muf***ers booed at my a**, couldnt even hear what i was rapping, some two drunk skinny a** whiteboys kept on saying " blackie blackie, gaaan man, gaan!!" eish....i was pissed off

but i had to behave coz i was walking with kids and i needed to be an example to them, so i just carried on and i finished my thang and put the mic down, so just as i was going out of the place, some muf***eking white boy said to me " hey kaffer"......i just smiled at him and just ignored the f*** outta him, man i wanted to kill somebody that day, my blood was boiling, i swear to god i could have made my first murder, but i had to be a grown up person and behave, man i was f***ed up so much that i decided to take my anger out on a 12 year old white boy who sweard at his mom, i slapped him three time and kicked his butt, his mom was kinda pissed of though, but it was all good. ya dig me?

Hood.

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile

Thornz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-22
    • View Profile
interesting, why are u researchin this exactly? A mini-documentary would be cool, but then again that's just bringing to light something thats not really an issue

1kind

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
That's exactly what we're planning to do, if all goes well we'd like to make a documentary about racial profiling and discrimination in hip hop. Ultimately we'd like to have a way of getting rid of the problem. one of the suggestions was to create a mixtape featuring emcees and producers with all languages spoken in our homes... 11 SA official languages + additionals.

I'm in Cape Town and this has been an issue for a while for us. the 3 motivating factors behind this project are

1) Many people feel that when we speak about the history of hip hop in South Africa, too much focus goes to the likes of P.O.C, Black noise and Bra**e vannie Kaap(coloured crews). Not much noise, and definitely not much documentation is made about the the circles that gave birth to Spaza(black crews)

2) For years now the city has been funding the same projects, like Hip Hop Indaba which is run by Black noise and affiliates (coloured crews) and many people feel that they do not have access to the same resources. Yeah of course funders are wary of giving their money to organisations they do not trust, but they need to take care no to breed incestuous relationships that do not yield good results and that might be seen as not representing the demographic make up of Cape Town.

3) We've got 5 definite factions here in cape town each purely supporting itself and not too many attempts are made to bridge the barriers and clear the boundaries. Of course there are exceptions but the rule far overides all exceptions. We have the xhosa kids with spaza. Afrikaans kids with gam  taal. Portugese speaking faction. The commercial tippy toe kids. The dictionary vomiting Abstract metaphorical english lyricists.

think about it...

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
All i gotz 2 say is Planetary a**ault track 10 Purple Simba, Ben Sharpa. One
spread love in da music

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
Oh and Terror, i 4get da name of da singa bt just listen 2 da track.
spread love in da music

Emile YX

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
    • site administrator
SOUTH AFRICA IS A RACIST COUNTRY, THATS PART OF A RACIST WORLD, SO RACISM WILL EXIST IN EVERYTHING WE DO. WE ARE ALL f***ING RACIST, UNTIL WE ADMIT TO THAT SHIT NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

You right that we have too much documentation about POC, Black Noise and Bra**e vannie Kaap. You guys need to do that shit yourselves, thats how we did it. No one is gonna help you do that. In fact, I know that government have stopped funding POC, BN and BVK for years already, but you guys have to go to meetings that they give and attend these workshops to learn how to apply for the funds they make available. Stop just complaining and learn how to do those things. Stop shouting racism, when its just laziness. I know the brother Indigenous and others make an effort to learn and will get funding from them. Funders are not going to come look for you guys, you have to make the effort. Its the same with the media. How the hell do they know you are doing something, when you never send them press releases or call them to cover your events? Anyway, they love and negative story, so maybe they will cover this "racism in Hip Hop" one. On the 1st Nov WCMA (Western Cape Musicians a**ociation) are hosting an event where topics like group management, recording an album and marketing etc will be the central focus of the discussions and workshops. Go attend that shit and learn to manage yourself and your crew. People who know are willing to a**ist those who wanna know, dont just make excuses and call that shit racism.

Make real the words you speak and TAKE ACTION ON YOUR WORDS. Im tired of people talking shit about shit they know very little about. We had this discussion with HYPE mag a while ago and none of the complaining crews rocked up at the meeting. We were forcibly removed from each other and have to force ourselves together and not to be so f***ing touchy about every little so-called tribal bullshit that happens. We are too conservatie and too religious in this country.

Anyway, less talk, more action. I teach breaking, you want me to teach in your community, call me at 082 3958125 and I will stiek uit, irrespective of your so-called colour ... that shits just made up to divide us. ONE RACE, HUMAN. If the first humans come from Africa, then are we not all from the same family ... besides it was not called Africa back then and HUMANS need to start seeing that these hand full of rich motherf***ers running the planet love using that shit to get us to kill each other whenever they need a distraction from their exploitation of us. USA needs oil, blame a couple of rag-heads for terrorism and yippee we are killing people to cover oil greed. Power failure in South Africa, suddenly bread price rises and they promote the hatred we have in us for African by us killing Africans and they call it Xenophobia, when that shits actually AFROPHOBIA, cause only Africans are being killed here. We all get called racists, but its a handfull of tribes doing that shit. We need to wake up ...

My brother .... your doccie will get much play on their TV cause they will love the way it further divides us and how it will praise the internalization of APARATHEID by us its new defenders. SABC has nothing SA about it. They have corporate interest and thats the interest of the rich who want to see us divided ... they fear our collective action, they fear if we stand up as a ma** collectively, cause that will mean that they will be exposed for the minority that they are and we will see that they are behind all the shit going on in the country. They own the media and thus the way the ma**es think ...

But hey, WHAT THE f*** DO I KNOW ... IM JUST AN OLD SKOOL BREAKDANCER ....

GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING
PEACE
E       

WORDSMITH

• The wap up starts at the bottom.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-21
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com
Ya you get cats that throw racial stunts now and then... and yes its always black on white... I've never witnessed it the other way around... and is it me or Colourds think they're black when they hang with them, and white when they hang with them?... jst axing ???
"Hip Hip is Hip Hip, We quick to Judge,
But we aint quick enough to not be Judged"
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
What Emile said... :'( So much truth in there unfortunately.

Sarcastic, I used to think you're a cool kid, but you say some dumb shit sometimes.
Did I act black when hanging with you guys, or white with the white folk I used to hang with?